PDA

View Full Version : Dually or SRW??

Silverado333
05-17-2017, 06:52 PM
Hello to all!!

First time poster here!! I currently have a 2012 Ford F-150 V6 Echo-boost. We have decided on getting a Heartland Landmark 365, most likely the Madison or the Heartland. So a larger truck is in order.

My GF and I have been to a couple RV shows recently and have narrowed our choices to those two. Our dilemma is we both like the forward Living area, but we also like the idea of a bath and a half - so we have some more discussions ahead.

My question is I'm shopping for a new truck, strong enough to comfortably two the 5th wheel. Is a dually REALLY necessary? To be perfectly honest, I'm just not really keen on the way they look, not to mention trying to park the beast. I'm also not very fond of the long bed and prefer the shorter bed. I understand the necessity of the sliding hitch and am fine with that.

Are there folks out there that pull either of these RV's, with a diesel F-350 or GMC 3500HD SRW? If so how does it handle? Is it powerful enough in the mountains? Opinions please!

We currently live in the Seattle area, but our families are in Florida - we look forward to out future travels!! But I still have a few more years till retirement, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Any advice would be appreciated!!

Oh, I'd also like to add that this is a great website - we're learning a lot from all of you more experienced RV'ers!! Hope to meet some of you in the not too distant future!!

Thanks!
Silverado

danemayer
05-17-2017, 07:05 PM
Hi Silverado333,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

IMO you will absolutely want the dually. Landmark 365 has a GVWR of 18,000 lbs. You'll find that as you load up for travel, add some water, etc., you'll be closer to the GVWR than to the empty weight.

For planning purposes, you can assume about 20% of that weight will be on the hitch, or 3,600 lbs.

You need a truck that will not only have a 5th wheel towing capacity of at least 18,000 lbs, but also a payload that will accommodate the pin weight of 3,600 lbs. In additional to the pin weight, your payload has to handle the weight of the hitch, bed liner, bed cover, tools, firewood, extra fuel, pets, passengers and anything else you put in the truck. That can easily add another 1,000 lbs. So it would be pretty easy to end up needing a payload of 4,600 lbs.

The towing capacity and payload capacity you'll need put you into a 1 Ton Dually.

Could you manage with a single rear wheel shortbed? Sure. Will you be stable in a crosswind? Maybe. Will you be able to maintain control during an emergency lane change? Maybe. Will an out of balance truck be safe when roads are wet? Maybe. Will the tail (trailer) wag the dog (truck)? Almost certainly.

One other thing. When you shop trucks, ignore the brochure claims and posters. Look at the actual specification for the exact truck you're going to buy.

Geodude
05-17-2017, 07:23 PM
You're definitely beyond the capacities of a SRW truck with that trailer. Our diesel F-350 SRW is maxed out on the pin weight of our Bighorn, at 3100 pounds and a 15,000 pound trailer. We're thinking dually for our next truck, but like you we're not sure. Most of my dually friends say it's great towing and parking lots etc., are big non-issue. One says they're a pain for the 350 days he isn't towing. We're likely to sort of split the difference and get a long bed SRW. I think. Maybe.

"Hi-Viz" Bill
05-17-2017, 07:34 PM
Hey there Silverado333 !!!

We purchased a 2016 Landmark 365 'Newport' last summer. The day after signing the dotted line, I ordered a 2016 GMC 3500 Denali DRW. We live in SW Michigan and traveled to the Phoenix area for the winter. I have not regretted the DRW for even a second. With the 5, 6, & 7% grades we encountered in the mountains, and the strong winds out in West Texas, the increased stability of the Dually was very reassuring. I have a 50 gal auxiliary fuel tank, as well as a 4' wide tool box in the bed and not having to worry about being overloaded also led the a high degree of 'peace of mind'. IMHO, a dually is a must with a rig of the size you are contemplating!!

Nabo
05-17-2017, 07:40 PM
We fault getting a dually for years but now that we have one, what a difference it makes. Our suggestion is go ahead and spend the extra $$ now for the dually. In the long run it will save ya from having to spend more $$ to upgrade again. Good luck

meagle
05-17-2017, 07:49 PM
I have a 2014 Landmark and towed it with a SRW for about a year. There were times when I was "white knuckled" on steep mountain roads or in heavy wind. Last June I purchased a 3500 GMC dually with the Denali package. What a difference! It is much more stable in all conditions and makes towing a much easier and relaxing experience and of course a safer one. After towing with my dually I will not go back to a SRW truck. Good luck.

BigGuy82
05-17-2017, 07:57 PM
Hello to all!!

First time poster here!! I currently have a 2012 Ford F-150 V6 Echo-boost. We have decided on getting a Heartland Landmark 365, most likely the Madison or the Heartland. So a larger truck is in order.

My GF and I have been to a couple RV shows recently and have narrowed our choices to those two. Our dilemma is we both like the forward Living area, but we also like the idea of a bath and a half - so we have some more discussions ahead.

My question is I'm shopping for a new truck, strong enough to comfortably two the 5th wheel. Is a dually REALLY necessary? To be perfectly honest, I'm just not really keen on the way they look, not to mention trying to park the beast. I'm also not very fond of the long bed and prefer the shorter bed. I understand the necessity of the sliding hitch and am fine with that.

Are there folks out there that pull either of these RV's, with a diesel F-350 or GMC 3500HD SRW? If so how does it handle? Is it powerful enough in the mountains? Opinions please!

We currently live in the Seattle area, but our families are in Florida - we look forward to out future travels!! But I still have a few more years till retirement, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Any advice would be appreciated!!

Oh, I'd also like to add that this is a great website - we're learning a lot from all of you more experienced RV'ers!! Hope to meet some of you in the not too distant future!!

Thanks!
Silverado

Mine's only a 3010 RE Bighorn and I have a diesel dually. There is no such thing as having too much truck but there is such a thing as too little truck. Want stability? Want guts to get up steep grades? Want engine braking to get down steep grades? Want higher load capacity? The choice is obvious, and I've had both.

Also suggest, if the truck doesn't come with them, get Air Lifts or Firestone air bags.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fastcarsspeed
05-17-2017, 08:05 PM
I have a 2011 F350 6.7 SRW 8' Bed 4X4. I can tell you yes you can tow it but if you are not used to towing those weights and have the option to go to DRW it would be a good recommendation. I have a 2014 Cyclone 4100 and I am at the limit if I really load it up. I tow fine and my truck does not squat much at all but again for the added stability a DRW would be best.

Silverado333
05-17-2017, 08:34 PM
Thanks to all for the replies - very helpful info!!

Another question, as I mentioned previously we have gone to a couple RV shows in the local area. A salesman, a little pushy for my taste - stated it's wiser to but the RV first, before I have the suitable tow vehicle. This didn't and still doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Based on a couple of comments I see, some of you did just that - purchased RV prior to your tow vehicle. Are there benefits to this?

Thanks again for all the friendly advice - much appreciated!!

Silverado333

TravelTiger
05-17-2017, 08:46 PM
Visit www.fifthwheelst.com and learn about safe towing.

Dual wheels are not just there for stability but the Dually has payload capacity that a single wheel does not. The truck's payload capacity holds your pin weight, along with passengers, pets, tools, aux fuel tanks, etc. etc. you add to the truck. With a possible loaded pin weight of up to 4500lbs, it's a no brainer, get the Dually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Piperflyer
05-17-2017, 09:07 PM
I wouldn't want to be towing my RV with anything but a DRW. I have been on every road imaginable; 11% grades, switch backs, you name it and the truck performs. I'm pulling around 16000 lb. ~ with the truck and you don't even realize the 5th wheel is behind you, until you look in the mirrors. The only real draw back is when you aren't towing and you have to find a parking spot for that big thing your driving. Thats the only time I regret having a DRW.

Oregon_Camper
05-17-2017, 09:19 PM
Hey...welcome to the site and glad to see another person from the PNW..:)

I had a SRW for the 1st year of owning our Bighorn and it was WHITE KNUCKLES around sharp corners and strong side winds.

Moved to the DRW 2 years ago and can NOT believe the difference.

Are they big...Yep

Are you going to have to park a bit further back in a parking lot...yep (but that is where all the cool guys park at Home Depot and Lowes anyway :cool: )

danemayer
05-17-2017, 09:28 PM
A salesman, a little pushy for my taste - stated it's wiser to but the RV first, before I have the suitable tow vehicle. This didn't and still doesn't seem to make sense to me.

I can't think of any reason it would be wiser to buy the RV first, before you have the suitable tow vehicle, unless perhaps it's about a sales commission.

In fact, when you get the truck, you'll find out that the User Manual may say you don't need a break-in period. But when you read the towing section, you'll find out they probably want you to drive it 1,000 miles before towing. That would argue buy the truck first, then the trailer.

dlw930
05-17-2017, 10:54 PM
I can't think of any reason it would be wiser to buy the RV first, before you have the suitable tow vehicle, unless perhaps it's about a sales commission.

In fact, when you get the truck, you'll find out that the User Manual may say you don't need a break-in period. But when you read the towing section, you'll find out they probably want you to drive it 1,000 miles before towing. That would argue buy the truck first, then the trailer.

Of course, that argument doesn't hold if you're buying a pre-owned truck that's already broken in.

TravelTiger
05-18-2017, 12:39 AM
It is smart to get trailer then truck, or at least be pretty sure the truck you're buying far exceeds the specs of what you're looking at now, and the one you may be looking at next! There seems to be a trend to upgrade...upsize...and be upside down if you have to trade trucks too soon!

avvidclif
05-18-2017, 03:07 AM
I can think of a very good reason to buy the 5er first. Then you know how much TV you need, no guessing, no changing mind on RV, or anything. There is a limit to what SRW can handle as far as RV's. A modern dually has limits also but with the current RVs it would be hard to overload one.

RonTimmer
05-18-2017, 11:32 AM
From personal experience I wish I had bought the trailer first. My wife and I decided exactly how much trailer we wanted and then bought a truck that would easily pull that weight. After having the truck for a year we decided it was time to actually upgrade from our TT to a 5th wheel and Murphy's law kicked in. The style and size of 5th wheel we decided we wanted put us at the top end of what out truck can pull so with in the next year or so, definitely before we make any long trips, we will be upgrading trucks. Like many others have said if you have the trailer you know exactly what requirements you need in your truck, pay more attention to payload and not towing capacity because that is what bit me in the end.

Take care,
Ron

Alan_B
05-18-2017, 11:42 AM
I agree with most of the other posters here, a DRW is needed for the Landmark 365.

When choosing our fifth wheel, we set our limits to a unit that could be safely towed with a SRW.

JohnD
05-18-2017, 12:45 PM
From personal experience I wish I had bought the trailer first. My wife and I decided exactly how much trailer we wanted and then bought a truck that would easily pull that weight. After having the truck for a year we decided it was time to actually upgrade from our TT to a 5th wheel and Murphy's law kicked in.

We did the same thing . . . upgraded truck from a 1500 to 2500HD, which was intended to be overkill for our TT.

When the time came to switch to a 5'ver, we decided to get one that was within to towing range our our new truck and didn't even look at anything above that.

51804 51807

I do miss my topper, though . . .

JohnDar
05-18-2017, 01:34 PM
We had a few months between purchasing the trailer and deciding on which truck to pull it with. Decided a dually was the way to go, based on the capability of trucks at that time. Haven't regretted it. And maneuvering a GMC 3500HD crew cab, extended bed dually around is no big deal, especially if you've driven much bigger trucks (like a P-2 crash truck).

Hockster
05-18-2017, 02:00 PM
I concur with everyone in the dually camp.
I've been through that "Been there done that" scenario.
Save yourself the time and aggravation by getting the dually now.
I guarantee you will be more relaxed, and enjoy towing your new 5ver more with a dually.
Huge difference in towing stability.
Learn from our experience, because most of us didn't want a dually either, and we learned the expensive way, the dually is the way to go on a big 5er.
Couple trips around the block and you will be used to driving the Big Truck.
Mine is my daily driver, even the wife drives it with no problems.

Hockster

BigGuy82
05-18-2017, 02:40 PM
And maneuvering a GMC 3500HD crew cab, extended bed dually around is no big deal, especially if you've driven much bigger trucks (like a P-2 crash truck).
Except when putting the fiver into a tight back-in .... a shorter wheelbase would sure be nice. I live on a narrow street and parking this rig is a challenge. However, the convenience of no slider hitch and extra room in the bed is nice. Our 12 pound dog also loves the luxurious full back seat ...

rocrider50
05-18-2017, 02:55 PM
Normally these responses would be true, except.... The 2017 Ford Superduty F350 Diesel greatly upgraded the base and 5th wheel towing capability. I bought a 2017 SRW for that reason. The F350 now has a 21,000 lb 5th wheel tow capability.

See this Superduty link. http://www.ford.com/trucks/super-duty/2017/features/?searchid=237013607|1410213165|78136513147&s_kwcid=AL!2519!10!8025526446!78136513147&ef_id=VmbmFwAABPT83Rqi:20160907161925:s

The new F350 SRW has a huge rear axle that greatly upgraded the payload. I'm towing a Cyclone 3800 that has a 15,950 dry weight and a 20,000 max. I max it out and the SRW is stable in high winds (driving a few weeks ago in HW) and pulls no problem. Glad I didn't need a DRW and if I could find some of the older trucks DRW payload and towing specs I suspect the new truck exceeds them. Plus SAE has a new towing stability spec that new trucks need to meet, giving confidence that 21,000 is not a stretch. It's quiet too.

JohnDar
05-18-2017, 02:56 PM
Except when putting the fiver into a tight back-in .... a shorter wheelbase would sure be nice. I live on a narrow street and parking this rig is a challenge. However, the convenience of no slider hitch and extra room in the bed is nice. Our 12 pound dog also loves the luxurious full back seat ...

Some complain about just driving the truck without the rig on. Our seasonal site is tight, but the CG owner guides everyone in. No problems.

jleavitt11
05-18-2017, 03:07 PM
I could not agree more. I bought a SRW 2017 F350 about 3 months ago. I pull a Cyclone 4250 with a max weight of 20K and we max it. I have about 6000 miles on the trailer and it pulls like a dream. Wind, hills (and in Utah we have many) or sharp curves have not been a problem at all. I am soooo glad I can do it with out a DRW.

szewczyk_john
05-18-2017, 03:13 PM
I just went through this a few months ago. I have no regrets about buying a dually. I use it as a daily driver and had concerns about the size and all that. I do not even notice it anymore and I could not be happier regardless if I am pulling the camper or just driving to the local bar for wings. Do not let the parking thing scare you off.

rocrider50
05-18-2017, 03:18 PM
I could not agree more. I bought a SRW 2017 F350 about 3 months ago. I pull a Cyclone 4250 with a max weight of 20K and we max it. I have about 6000 miles on the trailer and it pulls like a dream. Wind, hills (and in Utah we have many) or sharp curves have not been a problem at all. I am soooo glad I can do it with out a DRW.

Mine to, love my SRW and glad to get rid of the DRW. Heading to your neck of the woods in four weeks (for 3 weeks camping in the mountains) and glad to hear that the 2017 F350 will be just fine. I actually won a drag race, loaded, with some idiot in a Malabu that was trying to cut me off. He couldn't believe I out ran him. I agree that you still need a sliding 5th wheel hitch though, that's another story for later.

TravelTiger
05-19-2017, 08:37 AM

Hmmm, what exact model/spec do you have? I can't find a SRW with a tow rating over 18k, payload of 3500 or less.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170519/79e513ef9d90737c67a95ad2f31d02f1.png

fastcarsspeed
05-19-2017, 08:49 AM
https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/17RV&TT_Ford_SuperDtyPU_Sep9.pdf

Hope this helps.

TravelTiger
05-19-2017, 09:01 AM
https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/17RV&TT_Ford_SuperDtyPU_Sep9.pdf

Hope this helps.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170519/b30210a04b5232a329d4ea7abccc2b93.png

Yes, it says from Ford, limited to 18k for 5th wheel hitch.

LBR
05-19-2017, 10:39 AM

Hope this helps.
That does help....have you inquired with Ford what their footnote #2 is....listed for all the specifics of the extra capacity towing?

justafordguy
05-19-2017, 12:28 PM
The 18k 5th wheel limit is the limit of Fords factory hitch. You would need a larger capacity aftermarket hitch to tow a higher weight.

Dawnnira
05-19-2017, 02:48 PM
Welcome to the best owners club! Go big or go home, why put it off...buy the DRW first then go shopping. It's all about safety, confidence and doing it right. You will never regret the 8 bed, crew cab DRW diesel for peace of mind - our family and loved ones are monument. Ford, Chevy or Dodge- of course you need to be hooking up to a Heartland

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

rocrider50
05-19-2017, 04:14 PM
Hmmm, what exact model/spec do you have? I can't find a SRW with a tow rating over 18k, payload of 3500 or less.

Don't know where you are looking, I would go right to the Ford website. 21,000 SRW all day long on that site.

5th Wheel Gooseneck Towing - Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight Ratings (lbs.)*

Regular Cab
Super Cab
Crew Cab

Engine with Automatic Transmission
Rear Axle
Axle Ratio
MAX GCWR (lbs.)
F-250 4x2
F-250 4x4
F-350 4x2
F-350 4x4
F-250 4x2
F-250 4x4
F-350 4x2
F-350 4x4
F-250 4x2
F-250 4x4
F-350 4x2
F-350 4x4
F-450 4x4

6.2 L Gas V8
SRW
-

SRW
-

DRW
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

DRW
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

6.7L Power Stroke Turbo Diesel V8
SRW
-

SRW
-

DRW
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

DRW
-
-
-
-

I would suggest going to the Ford site

Dawnnira
05-19-2017, 04:52 PM
DRW...say it with us

TravelTiger
05-19-2017, 09:58 PM
The only way you have that towing capacity is the very end of the chart I copied from the Ford site. If you have a GCWR on your truck of 28,700, then yes you can tow 20,000 + depending on cab and box style -- with a proper hitch. Otherwise Ford lists " - " or a much smaller number. Check your GCWR.

crors7
05-22-2017, 05:57 PM
I towed our 17k toy hauler with a 16' F250 4x4 ccsb 6.7 , pulled great, stopped great, but was over weight, so I got a 17' F350 drw 4x4 6.7. Is it more stable? In high winds yes. Does it go up grades better? A little but only because it has 4.10 gears instead of 3.55 gears. Does it go down grades better? No, with the engine brake they both maintain the speed you want without ever touching the brakes. Does it make me feel more" manly" driving a dually? Absolutely. Either one will get the job done with minimal effort and in total comfort.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

jleavitt11
05-22-2017, 06:21 PM

Here is the chart from Ford's site. I would agree that DRW is the BEST option but certainly not the only option. There are many factors to consider including what the truck is used for outside of towing. You can tow a big 5'er with a SRW. As I said in my original post I have been doing it safely for 6000 miles with the new RV and it pulls like a dream.

Dawnnira
05-22-2017, 06:34 PM
Why risk going that far to the limit? Spend the extra money for a DRW and piece of mind

EWG
05-22-2017, 09:51 PM
You have the information. I too am not a DRW fan. But the numbers don't lie. I too am a future Big Horn Owner. The trick is to get the real numbers. Go to the Ford Dealer and get the numbers for a Truck the way you want it equipped. You will find that a SRW will not be able to put in the bed as a DRW. Just a fact. Get the numbers from the yellow sticker in the door. At 20% of gross (18,000 lb) for a 5th wheel pin hitch is 3600 lbs. Try that in a SRW. You can get away with 15% (2700 lbs) but that will not give you much to put in the truck except for a bottle of water.

avvidclif
05-23-2017, 07:08 AM
What none of the charts show is that they are based on a stripped model, not loaded like the Platinum series most seem to like. Best advice is plan on 3600 lbs plus a hitch and anything else you carry in the bed. A lot of people like to add an extra fuel tank which is usually abt 100 lbs PLUS the weight of the fuel at 7.5 lbs/gal. It doesn't take long and the SRW is out of the game.

Go to a dealer and look at the door sticker on the actual truck you want to buy, the charts are a loose guide, the door sticker is real life. Look at the Payload. If not over 4000 lbs you won't be able to carry much over a Kleenex.

Just ask me how I know.......

Alan_B
05-23-2017, 03:42 PM
I agree, the payload specification is the limiting factor on my 2017 F350 SRW.

The door sticker shows payload capacity of 3,440 lbs. I have not taken unit through a Cat scale yet, but I expect that I am a bit over.

All the other parameters are within spec (GCWR, GVWR, front & rear GAWR, tow weight).

CDN
05-23-2017, 05:30 PM
Hmm I have a 2016 F350 Super Crew SB I have 3540 lbs CCC. Tows my Bighorn fine. We are fully loaded right now for 2 weeks, all food, smoker, lots of cargo, clothes etc. 1/2 drop on rear with stock suspension and shocks. I also have generator in truck bed and 200 lbs firewood.

Dawnnira
05-23-2017, 05:41 PM
We're all friend's here, nobody take it personally...but really-Diesel & DRW. Period...

CDN
05-23-2017, 06:25 PM
Yes we are. Also my daily driver and due to a handicap I need either handicap parking or as close as possibly. Parking at DRW at the other end of the lot is not a option.

I do not exceed my Trucks ratings and if when I retire a DRW is an option I certainly will look at it then.

BigGuy82
05-23-2017, 06:39 PM
These DRW/SRW threads always seem to go on forever, and there really is never any new information on the subject - it's all been said before. At the end of the day, you realize one thing. It's all a matter of preference. I happen to think that nothing tows better than a big, honkin' diesel dually with low gears and Air Lifts. You may feel that a gas SRW is just the ticket for you. As long as you are within the specifications of the vehicle, who cares? If it meets YOUR needs, buy it. I'm certainly not going to spend a lot of time trying to sway anyone to my preference. The only advice I can give is to buy a truck that will handle your maximum load. Assume that the trailer will be loaded to the limit and that you'll have the truck fully loaded also. That way, you'll never come up short.

So, to all of my buds on this forum, good luck with whatever rig you choose.:cool:

PS - don't forget you can't drive a dually through a car wash!;)

Lynn1130
05-23-2017, 06:48 PM
These DRW/SRW threads always seem to go on forever, and there really is never any new information on the subject - it's all been said before. At the end of the day, you realize one thing. It's all a matter of preference.

Wait, what? Oh I think several of us have said that about several of these threads. Which truck, which tires, which hitch. Dan did take one of these topics, sorry I have forgotten which, and made it a sticky of sorts. There are graphs and Web Sites that will tell someone with a specific trailer in mind, which truck is necessary for which weight and while preference is a BIG factor in choice, safety plays in it also. So instead of running these threads on and on and on ... a referral to those sites is the way to go, and some do that, like maybe the first page of this thread, I could be wrong, but I think someone did that. (TravelTiger)

I know we all want to help but there is seizure by information overload in most of these.

Silverado333
05-23-2017, 06:54 PM
Hello All!!

I started this post hoping to get some opinions on which would be the better rig to pull a Landmark 365, and by golly did I hear some opinions.

Although I wasn't too keen on a dually, I'm leaning in that direction - the bottom line, if I go that route I can be pretty confident it will haul pretty much anything I choose, and with a full load to boot!!

Now with that said, BigGuy82 made a comment and I'm not sure if it was true or if he was BS'ing. Is it true that you can't take a dually through a car wash - is this correct?

Thanks for all the responses - very helpful info folks!!

Thanks!
Silverado333

BigGuy82
05-23-2017, 07:00 PM
Hello All!!

I started this post hoping to get some opinions on which would be the better rig to pull a Landmark 365, and by golly did I hear some opinions.

Although I wasn't too keen on a dually, I'm leaning in that direction - the bottom line, if I go that route I can be pretty confident it will haul pretty much anything I choose, and with a full load to boot!!

Now with that said, BigGuy82 made a comment and I'm not sure if it was true or if he was BS'ing. Is it true that you can't take a dually through a car wash - is this correct?

Thanks for all the responses - very helpful info folks!!

Thanks!
Silverado333
The fully automatic ones (or as I call them, "the real carwashes") won't take a dually. It's too wide and the rear wheels don't fit on the track. I don't know about the ones you usually see at gas stations - the kind where you drive in and the vertical wand circulates around the vehicle, but those never did too great of a job on my cars, let alone my truck. More like a rinse than a wash.

fastcarsspeed
05-23-2017, 07:27 PM
My 350 SRW barely fits in some car washes and of course will not fit in all of them. I have never seen an automatic car was that would handle a dually.

jnbhobe
05-23-2017, 07:32 PM
I have a couple of washes I use for my dually

JohnD
05-24-2017, 07:14 AM
PS - don't forget you can't drive a dually through a car wash! ;)

OK . . . that's it . . . no dually for me! :cool:

LBR
05-24-2017, 08:06 AM
Duallies fit fine in our local car wash also....

EWG
05-24-2017, 10:05 AM
Let me sum up my research. I started with the 5er, then the truck. I used Ford because they had the best towing numbers. I wanted to go with a SRW. Fords numbers are confusing because of all of the foot notes and restrictions. Max numbers sell trucks but they are not real life. Those numbers come from a striped truck. So, towing weight. In the 5th wheel configuration both tow the same. 18,000 lbs. Someone said it is because that is the biggest hitch Ford has. Well if that is the case and the truck can tow say 22,000 lbs, you would think Ford would make a 22,000 lb hitch. I think some engineer said 18,000 is the safe towing capacity. So what is the difference? Bed capacity. Or payload if you prefer. The Dually will carry about 2,000 lbs more. So with trailers under 16,000 lbs gross weight, a SRW may fit your needs. At 16 and above a dually is your best option working with 20% of gross as your pin weight. I am not here to step on any toes for those who swear by their SRW. If the numbers have been checked (over a scale) and they fit GREAT! My future is a Dually. My choice, Ford, Chevy, or Dodge? In a couple of years we shall see.

Alan_B
05-24-2017, 10:31 AM
...So with trailers under 16,000 lbs gross weight, a SRW may fit your needs. At 16 and above a dually is your best option working with 20% of gross as your pin weight....

That was generally my conclusion, although I set my threshold at about 15,000 pounds.

EWG
05-24-2017, 11:05 AM
I would agree. It can be done at 16, but 15 and under there is a lot more wiggle room and safety margins.

avvidclif
05-24-2017, 09:58 PM
Also it must be remembered you are talking about trucks made in the last 2-3 years. The payload capacity has increased a lot. The 10 yr old trucks need not apply.

BigGuy82
05-24-2017, 10:02 PM
Duallies fit fine in our local car wash also....
Not in an automatic one -

mlpeloquin
05-24-2017, 10:25 PM
I am wondering why with all the dully and tow specifications why know one suggested that they get disk breaks on the heavy fifth wheel. If most of your driving is going to be 100 miles or less from your S&B, then a truck that has the weight rating for the load is fine. But going through heavy winds across country you will be glad you have a dully. You get used to parking it. Yes you walk farther because empty inline spots are usually farther out, but not always. Need extra room for the length. Some parking lots the rears touch each of the lines and others I have as much as four extra inches per side.

You ever think about a converted big rig to pull it? There are companies that sell them for fifth wheel pulling and you do not need to worry about weight.

TravelTiger
05-24-2017, 10:53 PM
Wait, what? Oh I think several of us have said that about several of these threads. Which truck, which tires, which hitch. Dan did take one of these topics, sorry I have forgotten which, and made it a sticky of sorts. There are graphs and Web Sites that will tell someone with a specific trailer in mind, which truck is necessary for which weight and while preference is a BIG factor in choice, safety plays in it also. So instead of running these threads on and on and on ... a referral to those sites is the way to go, and some do that, like maybe the first page of this thread, I could be wrong, but I think someone did that. (TravelTiger)

I know we all want to help but there is seizure by information overload in most of these.

Thanks, I try to say it every time someone asks for opinions on towing. Opinions on towing aren't worth ****, pardon my French. You have to do the math, and www.fifthwheelst.com makes it easy.

I will continue to say this. Sorry to beat a dead horse! Btw I get no benefits for pushing this website. I just feel it's important to keep fellow Heartlanders safe. Dave Grey, the creator of the website, is also a Heartland Owner.

Bones
05-25-2017, 06:25 AM
Thanks, I try to say it every time someone asks for opinions on towing. Opinions on towing aren't worth ****, pardon my French. You have to do the math, and www.fifthwheelst.com (http://www.fifthwheelst.com) makes it easy.

I will continue to say this. Sorry to beat a dead horse! Btw I get no benefits for pushing this website. I just feel it's important to keep fellow Heartlanders safe. Dave Grey, the creator of the website, is also a Heartland Owner.

I agree. Go by the numbers first then go from there.

Hockster
05-25-2017, 06:52 AM
This is for Dave Grey:
I have tried to download the RV Tow Check App on my iPad from your site with no luck.
When I click on the link to download, nothing happens.
I have left it cook for up to 1 1/2 minutes and screen never changes.
I clicked on link from TravelTigers post & nothing.
What am I doing wrong?

Hockster

danemayer
05-25-2017, 07:00 AM
This is for Dave Grey:
I have tried to download the RV Tow Check App on my iPad from your site with no luck.
When I click on the link to download, nothing happens.
I have left it cook for up to 1 1/2 minutes and screen never changes.
I clicked on link from TravelTigers post & nothing.
What am I doing wrong?

Hockster

Hockster,

Not sure what you're clicking on, but all iPad/iPhone apps must be downloaded from the iTunes store. Usually when websites show a link to an iOS app, it opens the iTunes store for you. So open that on your iPad and search for RV Tow Check.

Hockster
05-25-2017, 08:05 AM
Thanks Dan, this time it worked.
I've played with that for over 1/2 hr and tried different options & nothing worked.
I just did it again and it downloaded with no problem.
Must have been a cloud passing overhead.
Thanks again.

Hockster

JohnD
05-25-2017, 09:24 AM
I think the key is to buy a truck for the trailer you want or have . . . or a trailer for the truck you already have!

When we upgraded from a 1500 to a 2500HD, we had no plans to upgrade to a 5th-wheel.

Less than a year later after buying the new truck, due to unfortunate reasons we decided to upgrade our TT and found a 5th-wheel that was well within the towing specs of our new $50,000 truck!

Funny . . . 20 years ago this Saturday we paid $110,000 for our house!

dave10a
05-25-2017, 10:14 AM
The new SRW trucks have significantly up graded their power train, frames, suspension and brakes to haul much larger loads than previous years. After pulling my rig for over 50k miles, I found my truck does just fine, the problem is the marginal suspension and brakes of the trailer. If one is going to put a lot of miles on their rig it would be advisable to shop for up-grade in trailer suspension/brake. It is interesting that many trailer manufacturers do not offer reasonable upgrades. According to the CAT scales my trailer is comfortably under all of Ford's specs except for combined weight of which I am 200 lbs over. The new F350 SRW specs seem to allow for the Landmark 365. I think the RAM would be ok as well and I am not sure about GM.

Alan_B
05-25-2017, 12:26 PM
According to the CAT scales my trailer is comfortably under all of Ford's specs except for combined weight of which I am 200 lbs over...

That makes sense for all the specs except Payload. Would you mind me asking, what is the Payload spec and actual for your combination?

thanks

D_BTravelers
05-25-2017, 01:54 PM
Agreed on the dually. We had a GMC 1500 that pulled our travel trailer for 3 years with no issues. It was probably the last RV we were going to own and didn't need a bigger TV; now we have the last RV we are going to own...maybe. However, once we decided to get a 5th wheel we went to the RV shows and such and started looking at weight. I decided to buy a truck that would pull just about anything by budget was going to let me buy, so I bought a GMC 3500HD diesel, CC, dually, long bed. Now that we have the Big Country I will never regret the decision. We pulled in 20-30 MPH cross wind about a month ago and it was not a problem, actually hard to tell the wind was blowing. I attribute that to the dual wheels and the extra stability they offer, not to mention it weighs about 8800#. Yes, I park it further from the mall door than my wife's car, but then I parked the 1/2 ton away from the door (dings) also. And I did have to learn that it takes at least two counties to make a U-turn. LOL! It is a beast, but we love it.

Dawnnira
05-25-2017, 03:50 PM
Our last three rvs were the last ones we would own

JWalker
05-25-2017, 03:59 PM

And in three weeks, you'll be getting your next last RV....

D_BTravelers
05-25-2017, 04:02 PM

The 2014 SOB travel trailer was the first one we "owned" but we had used our parents RVs many years previously. After enjoying it for about 3 years, we decided to get something bigger (sound familiar everyone?) so we started looking for "THE LAST RV" or hence known at our house as TLRV. LOL! So...this is the TLRV! :D

CDoggy
05-25-2017, 08:39 PM
My wife and I just bought a 2017 F350 DRW to tow our BC 3560SS and it is AMAZING! Incredibly stable, most currently the strongest diesel engine available, we can hardly tell that the trailer is there at all. We are local to Seattle also, and although I was not thrilled with the look and size of this giant truck, it seems like the very best vehicle for our uses. The 2017 Ford Super Duty is all new, and we especially love the multiple cameras that provide a 360 degree view all around the truck.

mlpeloquin
05-25-2017, 09:32 PM
Congratulations on the new truck. Enjoy.

RonTimmer
05-26-2017, 01:44 PM
This has been a great thread for me, I am new to fifth wheels and the information here has really helped educate me. My wife and I have decided that there really is no way we can tow our new fifth wheel, a Big Country 3850 MB, safely with our current truck, a Ram 2500, and so we have started looking for a new one to upgrade from our 2500 to a 3500 Dually. I will probably stay with a Ram because I really like the Mega Cab but I am absolutely going to miss my Ram Boxes, they were great for a short guy like me.

Thanks again for the education,
Ron