Insect Control

HOSS

I am looking for any and all ideas as to the best way to control insects. As we have to spray the stick house for critters I am guessing that same goes for the 5iver. My wife keeps it spic and span clean inside but as with the stick house the little critters and bugs still find ways to get in. Any tried and true ideas will be appreciated.

HOSS

cjbearden

Visitor
Install insect screens over the furnace vents as shown on this Campring World web page:

http://www.campingworld.com/shoppin...o-therm-suburban-and-durotherm-furnaces/37390

Inspect all exterior openings for possible openings that could allow for unwanted visitors. Foam insulate what you can. Check landing gear openings to see if you need to make modifications to prevent intrusion. Some new BH have legs coming up through front storage which poses questionable intrusion issues. Our new Augusta has front legs coming up through the propane tank areas so there is a large opening around the legs but the opening is into an enclosed area that should preevent unwanted visitors from entering the coach. DH does, however, use bug spray on the legs and around entry door and storage doors on a regular basis. Spray we currently use was obtained from our previous stick house pest maintenance man. When we run out of that, not sure what we will use.

In general, all the efforts you take, will NOT prevent all intrusions. Ah the joys of living the camping life. :rolleyes: Leave the front door open too long when bringing in groceries, etc. and the occasional mosquito finds its way inside and always to me!! We get a lone ant now and then. The spiders we have not figured out yet. We are currently parked on concrete, no trees, some small grass patches dividing parking pads and still the occasional spider is seen on the ceiling or running across the floor.

Congrads on the DW's spic and span efforts which will help a lot but just be aware, 'where there's a will, there's a way' as far as the critters are concerned!

CJ

Uncle Rog

HOSS, cj has all the right ideas and analysis. We have had good luck with crawling things by sprinkling comet cleanser around the landing gear, jacks and tires. I does not take very much and seems to keep a clear perimeter so they can't crawl right into your world. We were in a CG 5yrs BBH and notice a neighbor using the technique and asked him about it. We had some on board so we tried it, as ants were plentiful. Several people complained about the ants, not us! I think the chlorine is the active ingredient that works..................

HOSS

Uncle Rog, thanks for the comet cleanser idea. The DW picked up an extra can today and we are going to try it on our next camping trip very soon.

HOSS

Uncle Rog

HOSS, here is another idea that is less money than the cleanser..........

Borax
Borax is a cheap, and environmentally friendly disinfectant, bleach, stain remover, and natural deodorant that can be used as a powder, paste or solution. It also softens water and helps soap to function more effectively. Use a borax solution for cleaning especially dirty surfaces such as tiles or sinks. Borax is also an effective insect repellant. To repel ants, sprinkle on entry points of ant infestations. To repel cockroaches, plug cracks and holes where they could enter, and lightly dust with borax, especially around the refrigerator, stove and ductwork.
Something about the borax getting into their armor plated little frames....
It is also good for the holding tanks.............

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
in case u cant kill all those buggers, consider a yellow, electric bug killer looks like a small tennis racket and is battery operated. its also kinda fun frying those insects.

Joy & Jeff

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
Hi. I have ants! We noticed them before but placed some ant traps around the kitchen sink area and then several weeks went by and nothing. This past weekend, they were back with reinforcements! They weren't in the kitchen area or near Fluffy's food or water. They were marching across the top of the slide above my bed! How do I get rid of them? Can I just bug bomb the RV like you would a house? (Turn the gas off first of course.) Once I get rid of them, how do I keep them gone? Thanks.

SmokeyBare

FluffysMom,

We are parked in Summerdale Alabama... and the fire ants are active. Seems they seek shelter too when the rains come. With Fire Ants, their bite really a pain. I have been treating them with a product from Lowe's garden dept. Ortho's Fire Ant Killer... is what I selected. If I keep the active ant hills treated... by applying a half cup of the granular treatment and then watering it in per the instructions... it seems to slow the intrusion to the RV.

I have also used the "Comet" cleaner treatment around the landing legs, wheels, and electric - water hose - sewer hose. It seemed to help some. Different areas require different treatments. Some ants are attracted to sweet... some are after a different source of food. Keep things wiped up... and sealed well to prevent them from feasting on your stash of goodies.

Good Luck with your challenge.

porthole

Retired
When I close up the trailer fro the winter or I know it will not be used for a month I use sections of weed control barrier under the "vent" covers. E.G. the furnace, hot water heater and refrigerator.

I make them big enough to just sit under the vent covers with about an inch or so sticking out. This helps keep the crawly flyee thingies at least out of those areas.

lwmcguir

Spray all the areas you might get insects into with Tempo. Very safe and very effective for spiders.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
We had ants this summer. Took several months to get rid of them all. A few would make a nest before they died and a new hatch would appear a couple weeks later. We've used the ant bait called Terro with good results. Just keep it in a few places now. It's not very toxic, (boric acid and sugar) but seems to get rid of them in less than 24 hours. They eat it and take it back to the nest and it kills them. I wipe up the ones I see inside with any type of cleanser (orange glo kills them and is good for the wood). Our ants seem to be mostly medium sized red ants, no fire ants here, and they like sugar. I hate them! :)

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We set a bug bomb off in our unit periodically (put away the doggie food first). So far has been very successful.

jimtoo

Pharaoh ants,,Red imported fire ants,,Carpenter ants,,Thief ants,,Odorous house ants,,,,Acrobat ants...Argentine ants,,,Crazy ants,,,Little black ants,,,,Tramp ants,,,Pyramid ants, Cut ants that just love rose bushes and peach trees, and there is a new one they have found near Houston this year....these are some of the ones we have in Texas. This link gives a good list of the ones we deal with... plus I think there are some not listed. We have swarming ants about 2 times a year..shed their wings and make a mess, don't do anything else.

Thinking about getting a pet Anteater,,, anybody got one they want to donate??? Lots of food for free.:D

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have never tired it but DE (swimming pool filter stuff) I have been told works great for ants and other bugs. DE is cheap too.