Gas leak

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The wife was complaining about a smell in the rig after we set up on Sunday. Not heavy, but an odor none the less. Checked for tank leaks, used my gas detector on the lines and looked for dead rodents...nothing. Finally used the detector over the bathroom floor vent last night and got a low level indicator light. Shut off the propane and the smell was gone. Logical deduction was the furnace line fitting since we had the furnace serviced last fall but had not used it or had the gas on since. Pulled the outer panel and got a reading at the fitting when I turned the gas on. It was a quarter turn loose. Snugged it up and no more gas detected. It was not enough of a leak into the rig to set off the gas alarm on the back wall, though.

Always something...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MikeR

The wife was complaining about a smell in the rig after we set up on Sunday. Not heavy, but an odor none the less. Checked for tank leaks, used my gas detector on the lines and looked for dead rodents...nothing. Finally used the detector over the bathroom floor vent last night and got a low level indicator light. Shut off the propane and the smell was gone. Logical deduction was the furnace line fitting since we had the furnace serviced last fall but had not used it or had the gas on since. Pulled the outer panel and got a reading at the fitting when I turned the gas on. It was a quarter turn loose. Snugged it up and no more gas detected. It was not enough of a leak into the rig to set off the gas alarm on the back wall, though.

Always something...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't forget to change your wife's batteries. You don't want her propane detector to fail.

My propane is shut off, the RV is sitting in the drive, i heard some thing while walking by, itied to find a way to reset it or shut it off, now the alarm has been screaming for hours, there is the smell of skunk in the air???

The house battery may be low???? is the propane alarm a low battery alarm as well??

Any suggestion will be appreciated and tried

2009 Sundance 5th wheel and we love it ........

danemayer

My propane is shut off, the RV is sitting in the drive, i heard some thing while walking by, itied to find a way to reset it or shut it off, now the alarm has been screaming for hours, there is the smell of skunk in the air???

The house battery may be low???? is the propane alarm a low battery alarm as well??

Any suggestion will be appreciated and tried

2009 Sundance 5th wheel and we love it ........
A very low battery can trigger the propane alarm.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

After hitting the MUTE button 100 times to no avail I took it out of the wall to cut the wires, found a fuse, took it out / put it back in and HOORAY it was quiet again.I'm assuming the Skunk Scent is what set it off.Thank you for the reply.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Another thing to think about is that the LP detector in your rig has a life expectancy of five to seven years.
Having a 2009 model puts yours beyond its expected life.

Peace
Dave

Nuclearcowboy

Had a close call on our unit 2 weeks ago. The flexible section of the gas line that feeds the slide containing the stove and refrigerator was completely cut in half. After setting up at an RV park, wife noticed a strong gas smell outside. I started snooping the lines to see what the issue was and found that section of line completely cut in two.
After investigating the issue, the retractable harness is VERY close to the front tire when the slide is retracted - on the order of 4 inches or so. It appears that the hose wasn't correctly tie wrapped or secured to the harness. Best I can tell is that the hose dropped down from the harness, making contact with the tire. The tire, after traveling over a hundred miles, completely severed the hose (making contact on the outer tire edge). Contacted dealer and, thru Heartland, they shipped me another one.
I'm real uncomfortable about how close this harness rides to the front tire. I have confidence now that it won't make contact, but it is still too close for comfort. I wonder if Heartland has had any other issues like this?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I started snooping the lines to see what the issue was and found that section of line completely cut in two.
After investigating the issue, the retractable harness is VERY close to the front tire when the slide is retracted - on the order of 4 inches or so. It appears that the hose wasn't correctly tie wrapped or secured to the harness. Best I can tell is that the hose dropped down from the harness, making contact with the tire. The tire, after traveling over a hundred miles, completely severed the hose (making contact on the outer tire edge). Contacted dealer and, thru Heartland, they shipped me another one.
I'm real uncomfortable about how close this harness rides to the front tire. I have confidence now that it won't make contact, but it is still too close for comfort. I wonder if Heartland has had any other issues like this?

Our dealership messed up this harness on one of our slides and another wire on the other side under a slide and refused to fix it.

This is what I found when I got home from picking up the Prowler after 10 weeks of warranty repair:

ProwlerWireHarnessOnTire-P1010529.jpg ProwlerWireHarnessOnTire-P1010533.jpg

ProwlerWireOnTireWear-P1010544.jpg ProwlerWireOnTire-P1010525.jpg

I've been putting a bungee cord on it to keep it away from the tire while traveling, but I finally forgot to remove the bungee when we got home from the Alto, NM rally and when I put the slide out it ripped that weird aluminum bracket at the end of the harness off of the bottom of the slide.

Still trying to figure out a fix for it.

HOOKERUP

When I had a MH, our dog had a little problem, and around 3am decided to let a little gas out while sleeping in front of lp detector. Alarm woke us up, but the dog didn't move a inch.

terribruce

retired Oregon Chapter Leaders
Glad it was a quick find and no one had any problems from it. I second the motion to keep the wives batteries charged. :)

Terri