325 battery?

Newbie question, just bought a 2017 torque 325 , shouldn't there be a battery shut off switch to keep it from draining during storage? Also any ideas on possibly mounting a solar panel for charging it?, we get a lot of wind in this area. Thank you

danemayer

Hi Dennisr325,

Heartland puts battery cutoff switches on some trailers; not on all. You can probably get one for less than $20.

As for solar, you can probably get some ideas by browsing our Solar Sub-Forum. Here's a link.

Oregon_Camper

Adding in a cutoff switch is fairly cheap and easy. You can order the one below (basically the same one that come with some Heartland units) and the install won't take long. You will need to order one additional positive cable to add between battery and this switch

Amazon Link

cutoff.jpg

For the solar, that is a bit of a longer discussion. Are you looking to just keep batteries topped off in storage or to keep batteries charged while camping. Budget will come into play. Do you want to mount to roof or have a simply portable solution? The portable is nice (I'm close to buying one in addition to the 4 panel on my roof) because the portable unit can reach where the sun is...sometimes the RV is just too far under trees and fully in shade. Shown below is a 120w portable solution, but you can save a few $$$ and get the 80w solution (but I'd recommend the 120w if you can swing it)

Amazon Link

51U2VsYxwQL.jpg

big_kandi

I have a 2016 Torque 325 and I also added the battery cut off switch. I put it on the panel behind the battery. However the instructions with the cut off said to put it on the negative side which I did however it seems the cut off from the factory come on the positive side. What are the pro's and con's of either side? Should I move the switch to the positive side. I was always taught when disconnecting a battery to disconnect the negative side first.

Oregon_Camper

Thanks guys, someone told me also that harbor freight has solar panels for a good price also.
With solar... You get what you pay for. Cheaper panels will save you up front but I'm guessing you won't be happy with their actual charging abilities. Some low cost panels all but stop if just one cell is in shade

Something to consider....

CoveredWagon

I have a 2016 Torque 325 and I also added the battery cut off switch. I put it on the panel behind the battery. However the instructions with the cut off said to put it on the negative side which I did however it seems the cut off from the factory come on the positive side. What are the pro's and con's of either side? Should I move the switch to the positive side. I was always taught when disconnecting a battery to disconnect the negative side first.

Believe it or not, the instructions are correct. Installing it on the negative side removes the chance of creating an accidental short to ground. If you NEVER have an accident it doesn't make much difference.