Back up camera

Hernandd

Today I connected my Furrion wireless observation camera. I found the fuse holder that gives power to the camera and now the camera stays on all the time. I turned off the master kill switch to the Cyclone 3513JM trailer and the camera is still on. I had to disconnect the 7 pin plug from my truck to kill the power to the camera. This is telling me that the camera is getting power from my truck battery. My problem is that I usually pick up my trailer a day or two before I head out and I have the truck hooked up to the trailer the entire time, so for the entire time day or night the camera is powered up. I'm thinking this situation will drain my truck battery down. I know I can disconnect the 7 pin plug but I'm afraid I might drive off without the 7 pin connected. Any suggestion on an easy solution I'm thinking on adding an external toggle switch to power on/off the camera but open to any suggestions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jimtoo

Hi Hernandd,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure you will get some help from some of our members that are using the camera soon.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M
Thread moved to better area also.

jbeletti

While an external switch is easily sourced and installed, you have another option. As you know where the fuse is, you can follow it to where it ties into the DC power in the RV, remove it from there and move it to a DC source that is after the battery cut-off switch.

LBR

Sticking a "hook up plug" note on steering wheel would be an easy solution.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
You might check the specs for your specific camera but the current used in standby is probably very low so a few days will not be an issue.

SHerrick

Don't mean to sound flippant, but how about a postinote on the backup camera monitor?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BusManRG

Based on the recommendation of others on the forum, Rich and a friend did a pretty simple re-wire and tied the camera into the clearance lights. Now the camera is only on when the truck lights are on. Perfect for us as we never tow without lights on.

Sandy

BigGuy82

Based on the recommendation of others on the forum, Rich and a friend did a pretty simple re-wire and tied the camera into the clearance lights. Now the camera is only on when the truck lights are on. Perfect for us as we never tow without lights on.

Sandy
My camera wiring didn't work from the factory so I had the dealer check it. He found that it was never connected and repaired it under warranty. Didn't have the time to test it before hitting the road, so I just figured I'll check the whole deal out when I get to my winter nest in Alabama. One day, i decided to back the truck up and just plug in the coach wiring to the truck to check it out - the camara didn't work. Figured no big deal, I'll call the dealer. He said "turn the lights on" Viola! Back up cam.