RV Lock Keying

BigGuy82

So, I just converted my Bighorn to RV Locks - 3 of them for my two slam hatches and one for the door. The convenience is very nice - press one button on the remote and the hatches all open. Press another buttom and the door opens. If you are buying these things for convenience, it is an excellent (but expensive) investment. If, on the other hand, you are buyying these things for security, save your money - all three slam hatch locks are use the same key and I'm pretty sure that if i had multiple door locks, they'd have the same key too. Now, this is definitely convenient if you don't want to carry more keys, but not so secure considering that probably a lot of folks out there have the same exact keys as you - no at all different from the current state of factory installed RV locks.

So to recap - convenence great:), security not so great (or at least no iumprovement over factory).:(

BigGuy82

They send you the locks all keyed the same.
My keys are all #864 is yours the same ?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Mine are 664 for the slam hatches and 874 for the door. I first ordered one slam hatch lock and 3 weeks later ordered the other two - same key number on all three, so my assumption was that they are all the same.

HOWEVER, it turns out that it must be a coincidence that I got the same key# several weeks apart, because after seeing your reply, I went to the RVLOCK website and found out that they do in fact have multiple key numbers. I fact, they have many different key numbers. Thanks for pointing this out - makes them an even better choice.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Yes I just confirmed that also. They change them up all the time there are not many out there that are the same.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

richheck

Seasoned Member
Mine are #964 all keyed the same as ordered, one main door and three slam latches. Secured a Master Lock combination key safe in the door side propane compartment with an extra key just in case I were to misplace mine or we needed to have someone get into our coach while we were gone.

BigGuy82

Mine are #964 all keyed the same as ordered, one main door and three slam latches. Secured a Master Lock combination key safe in the door side propane compartment with an extra key just in case I were to misplace mine or we needed to have someone get into our coach while we were gone.

And THAT is an excellent idea. If the batteries in the door lock die and you don't have a key, you're out of luck. Think I'll take care of that right now.

Domi

When we got ours I thought I could go to the locasl ACE and get copies made. Turns our you have to get the keys or blanks from them you cannot get them just any where. I also asked about how common the keys were, and if my memory is correct they said there were at least 1000 different keys that they use.

We have been very happy with ours so far.

John

Daley07

Rekeying your RV locks is a straightforward process. However, there are a few essential things you need to become successful at this venture. A rekey kit can include a retainer ring tool, a plug follower tool, and color-coded lock pins. Some manufacturers also include T-pin springs, pin springs, key gage, retainer cap pins, removable caps, and T-pins. I strongly recommend studying these parts to know how to use them properly. It is ideal to order the precise rekey kit for your RV’s lock model. It should also come with detailed instructions on how to disassemble and rekey your RV lock.