Electric Line Retractor

BigGuy82

I've got a Bighorn with a electric line reel. It has a locking door on it (sorry it's sideways - I've given up trying to figure out that quirk):
IMG_1616.jpg

As you can see, it rquires a lock, not just to lock it but just to secure it in the closed position. I have no need or desire to so - I have RVLOCKS on all of my exterior compartments, meaning I don't need a key to open them. However, on this cheesy piece of plastic what often happens is I go back to open it and of course, the keys are still in the truck. This means I get to hike 50+ feet two ways just to get this open. Not my idea of an elegant set up procedure. Just remember the keys you say? Easy for you to say - I can't remember what I had for breakfast.

Question: has anyone found a way to bypass this, short of tearing off the door and leaving an ugly hole? I suppose I could try a mini-spot weld to set the key to the face of the locking mechanism, but I'd like to replace it with a simple knob, kind of like the two knobs on my generator slam hatch. Anybody here done something like this?

IMG_1617.jpg

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

They do make just a twist lock that you could replace it with.
Me I just hang the one key with key ring (so I done loose it) on a hook in the basement by the docking station near the Level-up control. Then I grab it when I hit the Auto LEVEL button and walk back and plug it in while it's doing it's little dance.
I usually leave that key in the lock while we're camping the hang it back up when I put the cord away. Very easy process..
Hope this helps
Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

BigGuy82

They do make just a twist lock that you could replace it with.
Me I just hang the one key with key ring (so I done loose it) on a hook in the basement by the docking station near the Level-up control. Then I grab it when I hit the Auto LEVEL button and walk back and plug it in while it's doing it's little dance.
I usually leave that key in the lock while we're camping the hang it back up when I put the cord away. Very easy process..
Hope this helps
Jerrod

Good idea, but I know me. I'll stick the key in my pocket or lay it somewhere. I'm the reason they invented the word "foolproof".

I'll try to find the twist lock but I'm not even sure where to start on that one!

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Here's one
https://www.rvautoparts.com/RV-Desi...VfqJknj2YjouI30JA_6OznLVA5jzq1xkkIaArhv8P8HAQ

You might have to modify the back latch to reach the stop because this latch is designed for a thicker door.
I'm sure you'll find the right one though.
c335006f8fbde582eccf75fe33ab4178.jpg

MikeR

Go to the following web site, they have an excellent information sheet for measuring the lock length, cam length, and the bends in the cam if not a straight cam.

The web site is: ch751.com/our-locks/locks/thumb-turn-cam-lock.html.

Once to that page click on the Measuring Guide. It is a PDF that can be downloaded and printed. You can then use it to measure your current lock.

rxbristol

There is someone else on the forum (I think it's Dan) that left a key in the lock and it does not come out during travels. A simple approach.

BigGuy82

Thanks folks. Got all of your helpful posts and once I had the description of what the geegaw was, I went to Amazon and found one with the same dimensions as the one on my coach for nine bucks. Be here Monday.

Thanks!