Weighing truck and trailer (Newbie so patience is appreciated)

atckid

I'm guessing this has been asked a "gazillion" (That's really a word. Websters dictionary and all.) times but here goes. Please tell me if the following scenario is accurate. I am going to use "ficticious" numbers for the sake of this example.
I have my truck weighed. Full gas etc. The front axle weighs 1000 lbs, rear axle 1000 lbs thus total weight is 2000 lbs.
I load up and add 300 lbs of cargo/passengers to my truck thus weight is now 2,300 lbs.
I have my truck and trailer weighed together. (I have a weight distributing hitch.)
Front axle weighs 1150 rear axle 1550, trailer axle 2000 thus gvwr for truck and trailer is 4700.
(I have "wide trax" dual axles on the trailer. Will they get weighed separately?)
Assuming the added weight of 300 lbs of cargo IN the truck, front axle shows 150 over truck weight before cargo. The other 150 would be on the rear axle. would this mean my "tongue weight" is 400.
With the weight distributing hitch is my trailer weight 2400? (4700 total combined weight minus 2300 known truck weight.)
Again these are just hypotheticals I just am not sure how all this adds up with the different variables
Again Many Many Thanks!

Harry, Barbara and furbaby "Ebby" Johnson
Hickory, NC
2017 Heartland Mallard M27
2016 RAM 1500 5.7 hemi, 8 speed 3.2 trans

mlpeloquin

The best is to have each tire weighed individually which can be done at the national rally. Weight done this way is the most accurate. That being said use the CAT scales at any major truck stop. Park your truck across two scales. This will give you the front and rear weight. Then add the trailer making sure the the two trailer wheels are across two of the scales. I also weighed the truck across two scales again as well. This will allow you to know what weight is on each axle, but not the side to side weight on the trailer.

Alan_B

With the weight distributing hitch is my trailer weight 2400? (4700 total combined weight minus 2300 known truck weight.)

Yes, the trailer weight must be 2,400 lbs. And given the build-up of the numbers, the tongue weight would be 400 lbs.

I know these are hypothetical numbers, but in the real world the weight distributing hitch should spread some of the 2,400 trailer weight to the front axle of the truck.

atckid

Thanks for the input. i had not thought about some of the weight being on the front axle of the truck but that makes sense since the front end isn't supposed to move up more than about an inch when you are hooked up. I wish I could make it to the national rally this year. Perhaps next year. Any other possible options for single wheel weight?

- - - Updated - - -

To be certain on the trailer weight...Total weight minus (previously weighed) truck plus any added cargo should equal trailer weight...ie both truck axles go up 200 lbs from unhitched truck weight and no added cargo... so add 400 to trailer axle weights to get trailer weight?

DW_Gray

Okay, let me hopefully make this a little easier for you. Go to Fifth Wheel Street and start with the 4-Step Weight Safety Plan. Without the convenience of getting the recommended wheel-by-wheel weighing, the 4-Step Weight Safety Plan is the best option if you don't know all the required calculations.

atckid

Okay, let me hopefully make this a little easier for you. Go to Fifth Wheel Street and start with the 4-Step Weight Safety Plan. Without the convenience of getting the recommended wheel-by-wheel weighing, the 4-Step Weight Safety Plan is the best option if you don't know all the required calculations.
Thanks Dave.
So I can use this even though I have a travel trailer and not a 5th wheel?

atckid

Dave another question for you.
Do i need to weigh with my weight dist. "deactivated"? Do I deactivate it by just loosening the chains on the bars?

DW_Gray

As long as the chains are removed from the bars, that's fine. You don't need to remove the whole system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro