Weight Distribution Hitches and Sway Bars

In the process of purchasing a North Trail 31QBS, My old system is gone after we hit some debris and flipped our Kodiak and Durango. What I have now is a 03 Cadillac Escalade, and the 31QBS. Any words of wisdom on what system is best and is it bad to go above the numbers. Say a 1400# system for the 600# Hitch weight of the 31QBS

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I don't think the extra capacity of the hitch will hurt a thing. You certainly won't have to cinch it up as tight. Main thing is to set up the hitch right and properly leveled. Don't take too much weight off the tongue either. Travel Safe

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
A 10,000 Gross/1000 lb tounge weight distributing hitch is more than enough. Get some sway control for towing a long TT behind that Caddy SUV too, will be a big help.

I use a Curt 10k/1k round bar WD hitch towing everything from the ultralite North Trail to 44' long front kitchen park models, there are better fancier ones out there but this is a good one for the money. Round bar style is quick easy hookup too.;)

Good luck, keep the shiney side up and the dirty side down..... Sorry, Bad joke, glad yer OKNone

Sean Woodruff

ProPride, Inc.
It's best to try to match the hitch rating with the hitch weight. In practice, that is a little hard to do without taking your loaded coach to a scale.

If the tongue weight of your new coach is listed at 600# you will want at least a 1000# rated system. That is the weight distribution component of the system.

I purposely call it a "system" because there are a lot of factors involved in setting it up to tow comfortably. Weight distribution is just one of them.

With the issue of sway control there are a lot of hitches out there that attempt to control sway after it begins. Hence, the name sway "control." These hitches control sway through a friction force that dampens the sway force. Many work well up to the point that the sway force becomes greater than the friction force that the hitch is able to apply.

The second type of TT hitch ELIMINATES sway from the equation. They are all more expensive than a conventional hitch. The three brands that eliminate sway are ProPride, Pull-Rite, and the Arrow.

These three designs eliminate sway by projecting the pivot point forward to near the rear axle of the tow vehicle. A 5th wheel pivot point is at the rear axle due to the placement of the hitch. These designs do the same for a travel trailer.

mcrane

I have had good luck with Reese twin cam sway control. I first had a friction style and hated it. Went with the Twin cam for not much more money and what a difference... I think you can get a 1200# hitch and the twin cam for around $650 or less.

mcrane

My Grandfather has a Equalizer hitch. Very good hitch as long as you adjust it right from the start and keep it adjusted.

Thanks for the Info

Thanks to all, Now I will do more investigating and let you all know what I end up with. Just Ordered Trailer today. Insurance has been good to us, but don't want to do it all over OVER bad choice of words.
Have to keep smiling and yes we are all safe.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
$2k for a hitch:eek: OWWWW!!! Better be gold plated. What hitch is out there they want 2 grand for:confused:

Can't blame you. I spent half that for my 5th wheel, gooseneck plate AND the weight distributing hitch combined.

The 3P Hitch

proto_complete_lg2.jpg

Specifications

• Solid steel, durable design and construction.
  • Patented yoke to eliminate trailer movement on the ball. Even in panic stops.
  • 3/4" thick Pivot Point Projection(tm) control links.
  • 2000# rated weight distribution jacks.
  • 1400# or 1000# weight distributing spring bars.
  • LIFETIME WARRANTY.
  • Color styled to match your trailer tongue.

Customer Comments

ProPride 3P Hitch - 1000 $2,395.00
ProPride 3P Hitch - 1400 $2,445.00

HRAI

Husky Weight Distribution hitch

Hello everyone,

I am new to towing a 5th wheel (3300BHS) and used to tow a 6000 Lbs travel trailer with a Husky WDH. I was always told by everyone about how a 5th wheel was so much easier to pull, blah, blah, blah...

Well, I'll tell you, I find the travel trailer was just as easy if not easiER top pull than the 5th wheel. I had no sway whatsoever. And of course travel trailer tracks a lot closer to the tow vehicles rear wheels than a 5th wheel does.

All in all, I do prefer the 5th wheel for size and ease in attaching to the tow vehicle (2500HD LB D/A). But don't get fooled into thinking they are so much better than traditional travel trailers. Get yourself a nice WDH and enjoy a smooth, safe ride. Just make sure it is installed per manufacturer instructions.

My brother in law had a WDH on his set up and found it horrible to tow with. It had been installed by his dealer! He didn't want to go on long trips as the TV was hard to keep under control. After I adjusted the WDH per manufacturer specs he could not believe how well the trailer pulled. He said it was like night and day.

Regards,

Guy

rckc228

Hensley Arrow

Only use one year 2000-2001 then the unit was park at a seasonal site. The new units cost $2,600-$2,800 . I will sell mine for $1,200 plus shipping very heavy unknown on the shipping. Have all the literature and instructions how to install takes about 1 hour. e-mail rckc228@comcast.net *****Sold***********

Last edited: