Need 12 Volt Troubleshooting Help

rxbristol

I have one 12-volt lighting fixture (pendent hanging light with three LEDs above the dinning table) that after it's been on for awhile will cycle from bright to dim. All other 12-volt lights work normally. The original bulbs were 12-volt incandescents and it would do the same thing. At first, I thought it might be related to the converter, but no other lights are affected. It was cycling three years ago and then stopped, but it starting doing it again. Anyone have ideas what could be causing it?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Do you have another switch next to it ?
You can swap out the switch to another switch that not giving you problems.
That's where I'd start

Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

wdk450

LED's pull so little current that I would be doubtful that the problem is a switch or even a poor connection. Those problems are usually more pronounced with higher current draws. 3 leds in series are 4.5 volts, if they are in parallel they are driven by 1.5 volts. The supply to the lamp fixture is 12 volts, so the voltage has to be dropped down. You can do this with a simple series resistor, but I believe many of the LED fixtures today do this with an electronic regulator circuit. My bottom line is maybe you can swap the same fixtures around in your rig to see if the problem follows the wiring or the fixture.