Memorial Day, A Reflection On Those Who Have Made The Ultimate Sacrifice...

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
Honoring-Our-Fallen-On-Memorial-Day.jpg

A specific ceremony honors those yet to come home:
The center of the remembrance ceremony is a small, unoccupied table. Each item on the table, as well as the table itself, has symbolic meaning.
The table is small, signifying a soldier's frailty against his captors. It is covered with a white tablecloth, denoting the purity of his intentions in responding to his country's call. A single red rose in a vase signifies the blood he may have shed to ensure others' freedom. A red ribbon tied around the vase signifies unyielding resolve to get an accounting of all those who have not returned.
Salt sprinkled on the plate represents the tears shed for the soldier. A slice of lemon on a plate represents the bitterness of their fate. An inverted wine glass serves as a reminder that they cannot join loved ones in toasts. A single burning candle represents the light of hope and an illumination to guide the way home.

We have also used this to honor those who have come home, but on the wings of angels during closed military functions.

God bless those who made the greatest sacrifice of all.

Last edited:

pegmikef

Nice. I had never seen that. Thanks for sharing it and I hope it helps many of us remember that we are here only because of those who have fallen.

olcoon

First time I saw this was at Applebee's here in Kansas City, on Veterans Day several years ago. I didn't know what it was all about until I walked over & read the story. As a Veteran, it brought out the sentimental side of me. Couldn't hardly get the words out to thank the manager for putting it there.

Thanks for the post!

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Thank You for posting that. This is a day for all of us to reflect and remember all of those who have given the ultimate sacrifice for our country and our freedoms.