Finally installed! Airlift 5000s on my 2012 Ram 2500

Power247

Installed Airlift 5000s today. I am really impressed with the completeness of this kit. It is a little different then the install video I found on YouTube. They have upgraded the components some but still only 3 out of 10 for difficulty. Using the manual fill valves for now but can see onboard air in the near future.

a8ee5568e5f382f62cb1bef96d79f7fb.jpg
68c68989c62242c981ea04359078d8b0.jpg
f05621a26c12f76a97da43334ac91ee3.jpg

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

'Lil Guy'

I installed the same on my 12 2500 ram. I traded it in on a 3500 and took them off. I also had the manual fill on the plate.

Dawnnira

New Jersey Chapter Leaders-Retired
Remember, towing capacity doesn't change because of air bags...it just makes you think your ok

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ramdually4100king

Why do you need these? My dodge squats to level with my 5000lbs hitch weight. With these my back end would be 5" higher then the front end towing.

Power247

Remember, towing capacity doesn't change because of air bags...it just makes you think your ok

No worries there... I am well within weights with my current truck and trailer and always use a WDH. I just like the extra stability and load leveling capability. An added pluss is less axle wrap when off road.

Greg

Power247

Why do you need these? My dodge squats to level with my 5000lbs hitch weight. With these my back end would be 5" higher then the front end towing.
My truck is leveled so 'normal' squat with this new camper has me sitting nose high. I can bring it back to near level with the WDH. Added airbags will help with the rest.

Greg

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I had the same kit on my last RAM and now have it on my current RAM. It is amazing what a few psi of air in those bags will do. Enjoy!!

Gary521

The reason that I have the air bags is ride quality pulling the trailer. The ride quality is also affected with the trailer off. You will soon tire of manually filling and emptying the air bags.

BigGuy82

I'd be very surprised if the nose didn't raise a little. Have you measured it before and after hooking up? It only needs to go up a couple of inches to throw the headlights out of whack.

I thought my Ford was level without airbags until driving down a country road one night. I couldn't see anything and I kept getting brights from oncoming traffic. No to mention steering that will be slightly lighter which translates into less control.

ramdually4100king

I'd be very surprised if the nose didn't raise a little. Have you measured it before and after hooking up? It only needs to go up a couple of inches to throw the headlights out of whack.

I thought my Ford was level without airbags until driving down a country road one night. I couldn't see anything and I kept getting brights from oncoming traffic. No to mention steering that will be slightly lighter which translates into less control.

I have a rwd so my front end is 2" lower than a 4wd. That and I rebuilt the leaf springs with heavier springs and added a leaf. So now my truck unloaded is higher in the rear and the same in the front. When I drop my 4500lbs cyclone (verified on scale) my truck squats to level and has plenty of room between axle and frame. All without having to play around with air settings in bags that can fail.

I consider this setup much safer than air bags. I also don't have axle wrap like I did with stock leafs.

Power247

Sweet setup. Your earlier question/statement makes much more sense now....

I have a rwd so my front end is 2" lower than a 4wd. That and I rebuilt the leaf springs with heavier springs and added a leaf. So now my truck unloaded is higher in the rear and the same in the front. When I drop my 4500lbs cyclone (verified on scale) my truck squats to level and has plenty of room between axle and frame. All without having to play around with air settings in bags that can fail.

I consider this setup much safer than air bags. I also don't have axle wrap like I did with stock leafs.

I can agree that upgraded leafs are a more permanent option but not the right option for me. I only pull the camper 4-5 times a year and it is no where near as heavy as yours is. I do not want the harsh ride that would come with them the other 10 1/2 months of the year.

For those that may be wondering... These bags have a built in bumpstop which allows them to be run at 5psi. At this pressure the height of the truck remains unchanged, 25 psi raises about 1 inch, 50psi about 2 1/2 inches. I haven't had a chance to hook to the camper yet but I am thinking that 25 will be my place to start.

Greg

Last edited:

LBR

This does show how all our trucks can be so different and unique .....

Ours got both leaf springs removed completely and recycled as scrap, then 2 self leveling air bags put in their place. When the 4000# pin weight is dropped onto the hitch, the truck raises back up ready for another 2000# more.

Power247

This does show how all our trucks can be so different and unique .....

Ours got both leaf springs removed completely and recycled as scrap, then 2 self leveling air bags put in their place. When the 4000# pin weight is dropped onto the hitch, the truck raises back up ready for another 2000# more.
That sounds like an awesome setup! A smooth ride for sure 🍻

Greg

BigGuy82

Sweet setup. Your earlier question/statement makes much more sense now....

I can agree that upgraded leafs are a more permanent option but not the right option for me. I only pull the camper 4-5 times a year and it is no where near as heavy as yours is. I do not want the harsh ride that would come with them the other 10 1/2 months of the year.

For those that may be wondering... These bags have a built in bumpstop which allows them to be run at 5psi. At this pressure the height of the truck remains unchanged, 25 psi raises about 1 inch, 50psi about 2 1/2 inches. I haven't had a chance to hook to the camper yet but I am thinking that 25 will be my place to start.

Greg

Your choice was solid. I've got the 5000 Ultimates with bumpstops. They are reliable and I love them for the ride enhancement. Additional leafs are fine and we all have our preferences, but according to the fine folks at Thruway Spring in Rochester, NY, an additional leaf will stiffen the ride and won't eliminate squat, although it will reduce it. This is why I went with Air Lifts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Power247

Finally got to pull the camper yesterday. Took some measurements before hooking up with the bags completely​ deflated. Hooked up, set the WDH bars and started adding air till the back end got to the height I wanted. Took 45 psi in the bags. Man what a difference in ride quality. I only regret not doing this sooner.

Greg

Power247

Let see some pics!!
Here's one as we were dropping off from our trip this week. Camper looks nose high but that is just from the odd grade of our parking spot. This is also why I used measurements at the wheel well to verify I had the right amount of air in the bags.
4e1e949bd69b47eaf5b7db281d5468de.jpg

Greg

Dawnnira

New Jersey Chapter Leaders-Retired
45 PSI is a lot of air for the bags to need to ride level you might want to check your rear suspension of your truck from my experience from travel trailer days I only towed with about 15-18 psi-max