Looking for guidance on what I think is wall delamintion

ryan09170

We just bought a brand PI 322 and took it out for the first time this weekend. It fits our family great, but I was noticing a few issues (which a lot of folks said we would in the first year). One of the I wasn't sure about - sponginess on the rear outside wall.

I noticed this when I was hooking up the 50A power in the back, I put my hand up against the wall and the fiberglass bowed in about 1/2" until it hit solid structure. Then I tried all over the back and it seems like the sheeting is not attached anywhere except along the edges, window and power outlet.

Then I checked all the walls and found the front and back walls on the slide were similar, as well as the sheeting the goes around the fifth wheel hitch and forward compartment.

I'm looking to see if this is something to be concerned about and what would be done to fix it. I'd like to be knowledgeable before I take it back to the dealer, so that I know they will fix it properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avvidclif

The brochure shows laminated sidewalls over aluminum studs which should have no give. Sounds like someone forgot to laminate the walls. Under the front around the hitch is different but the rest should be solid, no give.

jbeletti

Ryan,

Sorry to hear about this on your new Pioneer. On Tuesday, please contact your selling dealer's service department to discuss. They'll likely need to see it in-person and relay their findings to Heartland to determine a course of action.

Ahead of that, carefully inspect all sealant on the exterior of your coach, starting at the roof where it meets the front and back caps and the side walls as well as anything that penetrates the roof material. Look for gaps and other voids. Take before pictures, then seal it. Share the pictures with your dealer.

Same around the tops and around the top radius corners of the windows. Check sealant around the entrance and baggage doors. Check around tail and clearance lights too.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I wondered about the rear cap on our unit having "give". I inquired with Heartland who told me the rear wall (flat, no fancy cap) is not secured except at the edges. Ours has quite a bit of flex in it if you press against it. I plan to have this examined in Goshen to see if there is any concern.

I would call Heartland and be prepared to send a video or pictures showing the movement.

ryan09170

Ryan,

Sorry to hear about this on your new Pioneer. On Tuesday, please contact your selling dealer's service department to discuss. They'll likely need to see it in-person and relay their findings to Heartland to determine a course of action.

Ahead of that, carefully inspect all sealant on the exterior of your coach, starting at the roof where it meets the front and back caps and the side walls as well as anything that penetrates the roof material. Look for gaps and other voids. Take before pictures, then seal it. Share the pictures with your dealer.

Same around the tops and around the top radius corners of the windows. Check sealant around the entrance and baggage doors. Check around tail and clearance lights too.

Thanks Jim - I did a quick look around. On the windows, it looks like they typically have a foam pad around the entire frame and then some silicon on the top, top radios and to about 3" down. But the doors and compartments look to have sealant all around the perimeter. Is that typical?

Also noticed that on the back panel window (where I first noticed the delam), the window can be pulled away about 1/4" on the outside and there is no foam strip in there to take up any gaps.

Thanks for the help/advice, appreciate it!

295ef3cd3c51a1bf0c512e324756a514.jpg

ryan09170

I called Camping World and we have an appt on Tuesday with Service. I'll let you know what they tell me. Better not take too long - next trip is week of July 4th at Lake George, NY!

ryan09170

We just got it back. We found out that the front/rear walls on the slides are of the floating type (they are meant to have some give). I also had a laundry list of about 10 other minor things they needed to fix, which they did with no issues. Hopefully that's the bulk of the items for this camper and we won't need to bring it back to the shop for a long time!

mlpeloquin

Better make sure that that 1/4" gap is suppose to be normal. I believe it should be sealed tight against water intrusion. From the way it looks, water can easily get in and cause mold and rot. I would call Heartland and get someone there to look at your picture. All foam for water sealing need to be closed cell. I installed a stained glass window in our door and was able to purchase the proper foam tape at a glass shop.