F450 Insurance

Gisela

I am new to this forum as my husband and myself intend to purchase a Cyclone 3914. We live in Alaska and we just purchased a Ford F450 dually diesel in order to be legal. My husband belongs to All state insurance and they can only insure him under commercial use to the tune of $2100 per year and must have a business license in order to pull a recreational vehicle.

My question to everyone is how do you get this truck insured for recreational use? Any help would be appreciated.

Gisela
Alaska, USA

timk

I was looking into a 450, and checked with State Farm, and it was only just a bit more. Something like 1200 a year.

sgtbigb

I am a former Allstate agent, must be Alaska Rules, it should not matter the tonnage if use for personal reasons. I would call Progressive Inasurance!

Gisela

Thanks everyone The first quote we received from All State was over 5,000.00.. I think my husband had a bit of a hick up when he heard that! It just baffles me that they think this rig is strictly commercial and you will need a business license, and we even called them twice thinking the person who was researching this just made a big mistake. We finally called State Farm and they had no problem and it was just over 1200.00 a year. All State just lost a bit of business from us. So the New Ford is now under state farm and the new cyclone will be added when its purchased along with our boats and 2 other vehicles.

Thank you Gisela

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
A friend of mine has an F650 and had trouble finding private insurance. They couldn't believe a truck like that was not commercial. He finally got his through Progressive and it was very reasonable (can't remember the exact price). You might also check with Foremost. If you are an AARP member you can get Foremost through the AARP website at a very good price.

Insurance

Did you know that most of your insurance companies bases your premiums on your credit report?

I didn't know that until my daughter-in-law that works for Progressive told me.

redwing

We insured our F-650 with Progressive, The Thumb Agency in Ohio, just under $900/yr. We had the same problem locally, most insurers didn't even want to talk to us about insuring it. Phone # for Thum Insurance: 800 866-0777, www.thuminsurance.com, very nice folks to deal with.

plumberdude

License

We live in New Mexico and will be picking up a 3914 Cyclone. We have a Dodge Diesel one ton dually. does anyone know what NM requires?
Pat

jbeletti

We insured our F-650 with Progressive..

F-650? :eek: Is that your RV puller? I'd love to see pics of it. Saw one today with a standard truck bed on it. Way too high to tow a 5th wheel with. That said, I have seen a few F-650 haulers for 5th wheels and they were pretty cool.

Jim

Delaine and Lindy

Try Explorer RV I think thats it. Anyway the know MDT Trucks, but you will have to Ins. your 5th wheel also. My Freightliner doesn't cost that much. GBY..

truknutt

Committed Member
Thanks everyone The first quote we received from All State was over 5,000.00.. I think my husband had a bit of a hick up when he heard that! It just baffles me that they think this rig is strictly commercial and you will need a business license, and we even called them twice thinking the person who was researching this just made a big mistake. We finally called State Farm and they had no problem and it was just over 1200.00 a year. All State just lost a bit of business from us. So the New Ford is now under state farm and the new cyclone will be added when its purchased along with our boats and 2 other vehicles.

Thank you Gisela

I have had State Farm for many years. That said, when we tried to insure the new 450 with them they tried the same song and dance..commercial vehicle, blah, blah, blah. The business manager was only using what was loaded in the computer; not common sense. We had to provide photos of the truck and I even threw in a sales brochure to prove it wasn't an aftermarket deal on a commercial chassis. Long story short, the Agent, whose name is on the door and their paychecks, finally picked up a phone and called the regional office..common sense finally prevailed and we have our truck insured now.

2010augusta

I know this is an "older" post but thought I'd add a bit of new info.

As we have relocated to WA, we need to move our insurance from CO to WA as well. I am happy with the service that Farmers was giving me and they also work with Foremost Insurance for RVs. I walked into one of the local offices and asked if they knew much about the RV and full-time insurance that Foremost offered and they said yes and were kinds surprised that I knew Foremost offered full-timers insurance.

With my CO agent the F-450 was insured through Farmers and the Landmark was a "rider" on the policy through Foremost.

As we proceeded to start the WA policies, we found the Farmers would not cover the F-450 as a "private" vehicle, but could as a "personal commercial" vehicle.

As we investigated further we found the the Foremost policy for the Full-time fifth wheel required a "medium duty tow truck" to be added.

After several calls, we determined that Foremost would cover the F-450 and Landmark as a 2 vehicle package. On my policy paperwork there is the disclaimer "Your policy insures a medium-duty recreational tow truck. You'll see the term "motor home" used in place of medium-duty recreational tow truck."

We now have the F-450 insured with Foremost and have Foremost cards, but we get to keep the multi-vehicle discount for the Jeep even though it is the only car actually insured by Farmers.

I did check and all the uninsured motorist and other coverages are still valid for the trailer even with it is not hitched to the truck and we have additional live costs covered when the trailer is not available for our use.

rvn4fun

insurance

We to had some difficulties insuring our vehicle as a private puller. Progressive would not take us but North Star out of Minnesota did and there rates are resonable. Every state has different rates, being we are from South Dakota we have very resonable rates compared to some of the above mentioned rates. It also makes a difference if you have prior :)insurance with that company when you decide to add a big puller.

Tom of Ypsi

About a month ago I got a notice from my Progressive agent in SD saying Progressive is dropping coverage of the 450's, 4500's etc. No reason for this so I am now in the hunt for new insurance and have until April 21 to make up my mind. Leaning towards Good Sam but I really want the cheapest and the best that will cover fulltimers. Any good suggestions?

2010augusta

About a month ago I got a notice from my Progressive agent in SD saying Progressive is dropping coverage of the 450's, 4500's etc. No reason for this so I am now in the hunt for new insurance and have until April 21 to make up my mind. Leaning towards Good Sam but I really want the cheapest and the best that will cover fulltimers. Any good suggestions?

FOREMOST! They have been great to work with on our past claim, and that was with a very basic coverage. Now with the full-timers plan we are cover for most natural disasters and extra living expenses.

thomasinnv

Alan, have you compared your Foremost policy with a similar policy with Poliseek? i had foremost with my S.O.B. and when i bought the new Sundance i shopped around and found poliseek to have better coverage with higher limits than i had before, with full replacement value for the higher valued 5er and diminishing deductibles all for the same price i was paying Foremost for the 10 year old S.O.B. Curious if anyone else has any input on a comparison between the two.