Replacing OEM fuel tank

crussian

I plan, once I am full time, to replace my OEM tank with a large one. I have found several that should just slip into place. I have heard that my fuel gauge needs to be "calibrated" to adjust to new volume. Is this a lengthy process or is it rather quick?

C&J

Mrsfish

We just upgraded our oem tank on our 2016 f350 last week. Indeed, our truck/computer/gauges were recalibrated to correctly reflect the bigger tank. Do t know the length of time it took to do this as it was part of the instal. BUT! When we upgraded our 2013, we personally took it to the dealer to have it done and it took less than a half an hour all told. Biggest problem was finding someone who knew how!!

pegmikef

I had the tank replaced with a transferflo fifty gallon tank in my 2011 F250 diesel and they just changed the firmware so it reflects the new total quantity. It then uses the new value for all the calculations.

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I replaced the OEM tank on my truck with a 56 gallon TransferFlo one several years ago. The DIC could not be recalibrated to reflect the miles left based on fuel available beyond the original volume, but it does show the gallons of fuel used if I reset it at fill up.. The analog fuel gage only requires the fuel sender arm in the tank be adjusted to reflect the full range of movement. With that, I know a 1/4 tank of fuel on the gage is 14 gallons.

BigGuy82

I plan, once I am full time, to replace my OEM tank with a large one. I have found several that should just slip into place. I have heard that my fuel gauge needs to be "calibrated" to adjust to new volume. Is this a lengthy process or is it rather quick?

C&J

Have a Titan 65 gal diesel tank in my 2016 Ford F-350. After installation I took it to my Ford dealer who recalibrated the computer in 15 minutes and didn't charge me to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk