Big Bighorn Mod Plan

CDN

B and B
Hello,

Thought I would start a thread on mods and small repairs I have done to my Bighorn since taking possession in March 2017.

-HDMI cable from bedroom Sat Rx location to basement. Includes full Infrared remote control link
-Infrared remote to Living Room for Sat Receiver
-Infrared for Bedroom Sat Receiver
-Progressive 50 amp Hard Wired EMS, remote display on main control panel
-Moved barrier in slide storage to gain extra usable space
-Balanced sound system, adjust level, frequency and crossover width on power sub woofer
-Added swagman RV rated Bike Rack
-Weather sealed the front compartment from road water to make storage better for GMG smoker, 20 lb propane and other items
-Took in tire in with nail in it, turns out just through the lug of the tread not the carcass itself
-Remounted the water pump, used flexible hose on both inside and outside, very quiet now can hardly hear it
-added 12 volt outlet in wet bay for sat dish power
-remounted Licence plate to ladder as it was hidden
-mounted Heartland Owner club sticker on a spare licence plate holder on ladder
-mounted flag pole mount

Repairs

-shower track in backwards draining to floor, removed, re-caualked and installed
-tightened screws and adjusted hinges
-water pump short cycling, dealer gave me a new one
-caulked front bay, there was a 1/4 gap

IP076

I just started a thread about this item. I'm about to pull the trigger and order it, just a little hesitant about installing it as this is my first RV and my first real experience with RV systems. I've done some residential wiring with home improvement projects. How was the install? Any advice or pictures you wouldn't mind sharing?

CDN

B and B
Here are pictures of the EMS install. The install in mine was directly behind the electrical panel. I purchased 3 ft of 6/4 to connect to the panel and wired the panel feed into the EMS. It has a service loop to allow me to pull it out to service should that become necessary. I mounted the Remote with the rest of the controls. The hardest part was fishing the phone line thru the wall. Just make sure all electrical connections are tight. Power off and either locked or cable removed and stowed to prevent any safety concerns.
IMG_2509.jpg

IMG_2501.jpgIMG_2498.jpgIMG_2500.jpgIMG_2499.jpg

CDN

B and B
Here is the rack mounted on the back of trailer. It is a swagman. My dealer makes custom 2 inch receivers for all Heartland and Landmark trailers and includes them with purchase. The rack is a Swagman and is RV rated. We also bought a custom cover but my large 29 inch mountain bike is too wide for the top. I will be selling it at Goshen Rally.

The DW bike clears the ladder. I do bungie the pedals and turn her handle bars so not to hit the back of the trailer.

IMG_2477.jpgIMG_2478.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_2ca.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_2ca.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 295
  • fullsizeoutput_2cb.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_2cb.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 244
  • fullsizeoutput_2cd.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_2cd.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 244
  • fullsizeoutput_2cf.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_2cf.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 224

IP076

Thanks for the EMS pics! What are the black boxes on the black and red wires on the output side?

CDN

B and B
Two more mods. Battery boxes. Cut out so the wires are not pinched like the dealer had installed them. I also added two discarded closet rack rods. I have placed a shelf up top for extra water hose. I carry 200 ft for Provincial Park use to refill for when we have extended stays. I store my GMG Smoker in the front bay.

IMG_2631.jpgIMG_2628.jpgIMG_2632.jpgIMG_2634.jpgIMG_2633.jpg

CDN

B and B
Repair

Bedroom slide rollers sliding not rolling. Cleaned all the caulk off the rollers and slide. Lubed the rollers and all is well now!

- - - Updated - - -

I think that we have a contest going on the number of mods. All good :rolleyes:
Don

I would agree Don! It is great what can be done with a work and thinking about how to make it better. In my case makes that four letter word between camping trips more pleasurable!

CDN

B and B
Added a great Tire Monitoring System purchased at the marketplace at Goshen. Installed the repeater in the closet. Easy pairing with all sensors, used sensor locks too just in case!

Well protected and good insurance for possible problems on the road.

-Fixed the bottom of the trashcan compartment, all the staples let loose, bottom screwed in place now
-Fixed my closet wall latch that screwed into paneling and no structure, the panelling needs a pin nailer once I get home.
-Replaced latch on the bathroom cabinet that fell part on the road as well.

Have some mods planned for the shower area once I get home and a saw to cut some material

Toy1Ton

Toy 1 Ton
Hello,

Thought I would start a thread on mods and small repairs I have done to my Bighorn since taking possession in March 2017.

-HDMI cable from bedroom Sat Rx location to basement. Includes full Infrared remote control link
-Infrared remote to Living Room for Sat Receiver
-Infrared for Bedroom Sat Receiver
-Moved barrier in slide storage to gain extra usable space
-Balanced sound system, adjust level, frequency and crossover width on power sub woofer
-Added swagman RV rated Bike Rack
-Weather sealed the front compartment from road water to make storage better for GMG smoker, 20 lb propane and other items
-Took in tire in with nail in it, turns out just through the lug of the tread not the carcass itself
-Remounted the water pump, used flexible hose on both inside and outside, very quiet now can hardly hear it
-added 12 volt outlet in wet bay for sat dish power
-remounted Licence plate to ladder as it was hidden
-mounted Heartland Owner club sticker on a spare licence plate holder on ladder
-mounted flag pole mount

Repairs

-shower track in backwards draining to floor, removed, re-caualked and installed
-tightened screws and adjusted hinges
-water pump short cycling, dealer gave me a new one
-caulked front bay, there was a 1/4 gap

Moved barrier in slide storage to gain extra usable space DO YOU HAVE A PICTURE OF THIS MOD?

CDN

B and B
Big Bighorn Mod Plan Basement Lighting

When at Goshen i purchased LED Fixtures at Rainbow Store RV Surplus. I mounted 7 of these in the storage bay and what a big difference being able to see day or night to access stored items. I have added a door side switch as well. Once I am back home going to fab up a bracket for the door switches I have for automatic light control. I have a 8th fixture for the wet bay.

IMG_2867.jpgIMG_2868.jpgIMG_2866.jpgIMG_2865.jpg

CDN

B and B
Big Bighorn Mod Plan Pin Box 4 by 4 box relocate

I did like the look of the 4 by 4 electrical box on the back of the pin box. I mounted the box up out if the way, provided strain relief for the 7 pin hareness and dressed the breakaway switch loom. I also added a hook for the 7 pin and breakaway cable. The loom was not part of the clamping by the factory install. It is now so the wire is not pinched by the electrical box connectors.

IMG_2861.jpgIMG_2860.jpgIMG_2862.jpg

CDN

B and B
Another small but decent mod. The Glass Doors where wearing when items fell or moved despite scoot guard on the shelfs. We also saw things through the doors above the couch. Inexpensive black Foam Core. Cut to fit and glued in place with hot melt glue. This will stop the glass coating from wearing, provide breakage protection and also looks full blackout from the front

IMG_2929.jpgIMG_2928.jpg

Kbvols

Another small but decent mod. The Glass Doors where wearing when items fell or moved despite scoot guard on the shelfs. We also saw things through the doors above the couch. Inexpensive black Foam Core. Cut to fit and glued in place with hot melt glue. This will stop the glass coating from wearing, provide breakage protection and also looks full blackout from the front

View attachment 53631View attachment 53630

Great idea. Can you send a pic of how the glass looks from the front?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NHCelt

I am oh so curious about your work on subwoofer and sound system balancing. I have the sub as the c speaker and have found it overpowering, so leave it off.

How did you resolve sound system issues?

CoveredWagon

Re: Big Bighorn Mod Plan Pin Box 4 by 4 box relocate

I did like the look of the 4 by 4 electrical box on the back of the pin box. I mounted the box up out if the way, provided strain relief for the 7 pin hareness and dressed the breakaway switch loom. I also added a hook for the 7 pin and breakaway cable. The loom was not part of the clamping by the factory install. It is now so the wire is not pinched by the electrical box connectors.

View attachment 53267View attachment 53266View attachment 53268

I did did the same thing. I kept whacking my head on the **** 4x4 box. Moving it also allows for a clean anti bird nest screen install.

CDN

B and B
I am oh so curious about your work on subwoofer and sound system balancing. I have the sub as the c speaker and have found it overpowering, so leave it off.

How did you resolve sound system issues?

Hello, in my Bighorn there is a false wall in the bay that is behind the fireplace. The subwoofer is back there, i unscrewed it and adjusted the level down. If i want or need more bass now i can use the Rock preset in EQ or just turn the bass control on the Jensen. I will post a picture when I am back at the Trailer.

- - - Updated - - -

I did did the same thing. I kept whacking my head on the **** 4x4 box. Moving it also allows for a clean anti bird nest screen install.

I agree on the bird nest screen. The two neighbouring trailers in our HOA storage lot have all the birds it seems so far!! :)