Progressive EMS

IP076

All,

I'll be picking up my 2016 3270 on Friday when I return from this work rotation. I'm putting together an Amazon order for stuff to arrive when I get home. I'm about to pull the trigger on the Progressive 50a Hard Wired EMS. I'm all about the insurance and protection it offers.

My question is for those who have done the install themselves. Was it very difficult? Where did you mount it? Did you place it before or after the switch of shore/gen power? I don't have a generator on board, if I do purchase one I'll probably go with a pair of portables.

I've done a bit of residential wiring on home improvement products. From what I've read it seems like placing it just before the main panel is the best bet, and then just use a new run of wire from the EMS to the main panel. Any thoughts? Anyone have pics of their install?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

wdk450

All,

I'll be picking up my 2016 3270 on Friday when I return from this work rotation. I'm putting together an Amazon order for stuff to arrive when I get home. I'm about to pull the trigger on the Progressive 50a Hard Wired EMS. I'm all about the insurance and protection it offers.

My question is for those who have done the install themselves. Was it very difficult? Where did you mount it? Did you place it before or after the switch of shore/gen power? I don't have a generator on board, if I do purchase one I'll probably go with a pair of portables.

I've done a bit of residential wiring on home improvement products. From what I've read it seems like placing it just before the main panel is the best bet, and then just use a new run of wire from the EMS to the main panel. Any thoughts? Anyone have pics of their install?

Thanks!

Here is a link to the Progressive HW50C manual from this (HOC) website. It (and other manuals) are accessed from the "Tools" tab at the top of the page, then the "Manuals" submenu. https://manuals.heartlandowners.org...sive Dynamics/Progressive Hardwired HW50C.pdf

Progressive wants to monitor shorepower sources. Generators have issues with non-bonded neutrals, and possible frequency shifts under load changes, that would cause the EMS to temporarily shed the loads. Read the manual for preferred installation wiring. I installed mine between the shorepower input and the transfer switch. I have an inverter system wired into my transfer switch instead of the optional generator.

Az_Ernie

The installation you have described is exactly the way I did our install. I installed ours just behind our main power panel. By using new wire from EMS to main panel, should you ever upgrade or sell your rig and want to keep your EMS, just remove EMS and new wiring...easy-peasy!

IP076

Thanks for the info guys! I'm pretty sure I can handle the install, was just looking for a little advice (or maybe some pics). It's my first RV, I guess this is how I'll become familiar with RV systems.

What gauge wire did you run from the EMS to the main panel? 6 (I see that in the instructions now)?

Oregon_Camper

Here is my updated wiring layout, but mine has a transfer switch. For yours, simply take power off main circuit breaker and wire into EMS. Then use new cable to go from EMS back to circuit breaker.

You might want to grab a copy of my Pre-Deliver Inspection document (use link in my signature below) and use that to ensure everything is in working order prior to you paying for it. Plan on spending about 4 hours to complete this properly.

If you're looking for stuff to purchase, feel free to look over the "Recommend Gear" section as well.

Bighorn 3160EL Power Distribution.jpg

Attachments

• 3160EL Power Layout.jpg
    3160EL Power Layout.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 46

Az_Ernie

Thanks for the info guys! I'm pretty sure I can handle the install, was just looking for a little advice (or maybe some pics). It's my first RV, I guess this is how I'll become familiar with RV systems.

What gauge wire did you run from the EMS to the main panel? 6 (I see that in the instructions now)?
Sorry, can't remember wire size, I do remember it was the same size as the wire coming from main power/reel cord. Hope that helps.

Ernie

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

It was a pretty easy install. I think I watch a few YouTube videos first to take out all of the guess work.
I installed mine right before the transfer switch behind the wall in my basement.

Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Oregon_Camper

OK...here is a picture of my install. I had the wiring done that headed back to the circuit breaker and you can see the main incoming power was still off.

Capture.jpg

IP076

It was a pretty easy install. I think I watch a few YouTube videos first to take out all of the guess work.
I installed mine right before the transfer switch behind the wall in my basement.

Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Before the transfer switch, as in between the shore power plug and transfer switch?

IP076

Thanks for the schematic Oregon_Camper! Quite a set up! Mine shouldn't be that complex (to start with).

I've been away for almost two weeks, and I can't remember if mine is generator prep'd or not...I'll figure it out when I get it and decide for about the location of the EMS then.

SLO

I've installed the 50A EMS on two trailers. The hardest part was getting the #6 wires connected inside the EMS while kneeling in the fetal position. Marginal knees. Second time I used two of these https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55255-PowerGrip-Replacement-Plug/dp/B000PGVZ30, and two of these https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55353-Female-Replacement-Receptacle/dp/B00192QB9M. The plug and receptacle were easy to wire in the basement and the EMS was way easier to wire on my bench. Then I used heavy duty wide zip ties so they would not come unplugged.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IP076

I've installed the 50A EMS on two trailers. The hardest part was getting the #6 wires connected inside the EMS while kneeling in the fetal position. Marginal knees. Second time I used two of these https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55255-PowerGrip-Replacement-Plug/dp/B000PGVZ30, and two of these https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55353-Female-Replacement-Receptacle/dp/B00192QB9M. The plug and receptacle were easy to wire in the basement and the EMS was way easier to wire on my bench. Then I used heavy duty wide zip ties so they would not come unplugged.

I like this idea. I think I'll open it up and if it looks like this is going to be easier I'll order the parts up. Interesting fact, one of the items you linked to is limited to one purchase per customer...found that odd.

I assume you left enough wire and set the ends up correctly that you can just unplug the unit and then plug the coach lines together if you ever need to replace the unit or sell the RV?

avvidclif

In the electrical world the less connections the better. No connection is a good as a piece of wire. That setup adds 4 connections.

LBR

In the electrical world the less connections the better. No connection is a good as a piece of wire. That setup adds 4 connections.
X2 on the addition of extra connections...

If I remember back correctly, he did that in case the EMS ever did go bad while camping, the unit could be pulled out and bypassed....so yes the leading and tail connector wires were left long enough to connect together.

SLO

There is a enough cord to remove EMS and plug the two ends together. There's no argument the less connections the better. My decision to do it this way was based on physical needs. Having one knee replaced later this year and the other knee next year. Will I have a problem, doing it this way down the road? Time will tell.