For those towing with a Ford F-350 Lariet 4x4 .....

NHCelt

The 2017 F-350 Lariat diesel 4x4 that I am looking at has 20" tires and wheels...and I am wondering how level you are able to tow with the increase in height. I will be towing a bighorn with a morryde pinbox.

I will probable be buying a new hitch to use the puck system, likely a B&W, so any comments on height with that setup also appreciated....I would hate to end up with a serious mismatch....

Thanks Dave

jleavitt11

retired Utah Chapter Leaders
I have the same truck and ordered it with 18" wheels just because of the towing capacity. Larger wheels usually mean a higher gear ratio. Also the tires on 20 inch wheels are lower profile. I would check with Ford on how it affects the towing capacity. Check into the Anderson hitch. It has an easy height adjustment, 24K towing capacity and weighs 35 lbs. On my last trailer I had B&W hitch and a friend talked me into the Anderson for my new Heartland. Easy to hook up, no clunking, I will never go back.

Gaffer

Check out the diameter for both available tire sizes. They are the same.

275/65 R20 and 275/70R18 both measure 33.2"

Alan_B

I have a 2017 F350 Lariat 4x4 with 18" wheels. I have the B&W Companion hitch set on the highest setting and the Bighorn rides level. There is about 6"-8" of clearance between the fifth wheel and the top of the pickup bed rails.

NHCelt

I have a 2017 F350 Lariat 4x4 with 18" wheels. I have the B&W Companion hitch set on the highest setting and the Bighorn rides level. There is about 6"-8" of clearance between the fifth wheel and the top of the pickup bed rails.

Now I'm feeling good...are you using the puck system and how do you like the truck?

I think it best to stay away from the 20's but will check on the Anderson hitch...thanks all!

Still would like to hear about the truck though :)

Alan_B

Now I'm feeling good...are you using the puck system and how do you like the truck?

I think it best to stay away from the 20's but will check on the Anderson hitch...thanks all!

Still would like to hear about the truck though :)

Yes, I am using the puck system. Other than lifting the (heavy) pieces in and out of the truck bed, I am very happy with the hitch.

The truck is just plain fabulous. Quiet, smooth, powerful, lots of features. Whats not to love?

MCTalley

The only note I would add is that most of the tow ratings given for the SRW models often had an asterisk next to them. Looking at the qualifier, it usually said "with 18" wheels". While both the 18" and 20" tires are the same diameter, they were basing their higher tow ratings on the 18's.

Geodude

[SUB]What's the tow rating difference between the two tire sizes? I have 20" on my current 2011 and am thinking of getting them again. My current tow rating is fine but I'd like another 500 lbs. of payload.[/SUB]

Gaffer

[SUB]What's the tow rating difference between the two tire sizes? I have 20" on my current 2011 and am thinking of getting them again. My current tow rating is fine but I'd like another 500 lbs. of payload.[/SUB]
Tires have load ratings as do wheels. Maybe Ford uses a lighter wheel for 20 inch tires. Never heard of a tow rating for a tire or wheel.

Bookoo

I also just purchased a 2017 F350 SRW 6.7 Crew Cab 6 weeks ago as well as a 2017 3585rl. I had the dealership install the factory puck system as part of the deal. I bought the Curt A20 hitch due to the fact of the jaws locking intertwined around the king pin instead of just meeting together as most hitches do. I set it on the top setting and it has 8 inches of clearance. I also installed the MorRyde hitch and the truck sits as level as can be.
This combination tows and performs like a dream. The power is incredible and the comfort is out of this world. I can not see how adding air suspension can make much difference. Towing MPG so far is 13.8 and getting and has been improving with 1,350 miles on it.
The dealer sold the Anderson hitch, but being a "Newbie" I felt I needed more Beef towing. Purchased the hitch through Amazon for $671 and free shipping.
I almost prefer driving the truck towing our rig than without. What an incredible truck! What an incredible 5th wheel!

Kip, Debbie, and Ruby Marie
2017 Ford F350 SRW Crew Cab Short Box
6.7 Turbo Diesel
Ford SYNC
2017 Bighorn 3585rl
Garmin RV660 LMT
Furrion Wireless Rear Camera
VertaMax 2000W Inverter
Dual Honda 2000W Generators Paralleled

Geodude

Since we have the same trailer... what's your payload on that new truck, according to the sticker? Oh, and what sub-model of F-350 did you get?

I also just purchased a 2017 F350 SRW 6.7 Crew Cab 6 weeks ago as well as a 2017 3585rl. I had the dealership install the factory puck system as part of the deal. I bought the Curt A20 hitch due to the fact of the jaws locking intertwined around the king pin instead of just meeting together as most hitches do. I set it on the top setting and it has 8 inches of clearance. I also installed the MorRyde hitch and the truck sits as level as can be.
This combination tows and performs like a dream. The power is incredible and the comfort is out of this world. I can not see how adding air suspension can make much difference. Towing MPG so far is 13.8 and getting and has been improving with 1,350 miles on it.
The dealer sold the Anderson hitch, but being a "Newbie" I felt I needed more Beef towing. Purchased the hitch through Amazon for $671 and free shipping.
I almost prefer driving the truck towing our rig than without. What an incredible truck! What an incredible 5th wheel!

Kip, Debbie, and Ruby Marie
2017 Ford F350 SRW Crew Cab Short Box
6.7 Turbo Diesel
Ford SYNC
2017 Bighorn 3585rl
Garmin RV660 LMT
Furrion Wireless Rear Camera
VertaMax 2000W Inverter
Dual Honda 2000W Generators Paralleled

Jim-Lynn

I have a 2015 F350 DRW with 18" wheels. Like Alan_B I also have a Companion hitch - love it. I put air bags on the rear of my truck, I found it sagged just a little, so I run 40 lbs. of air. Pulls like a dream. According to my dealer the difference in the 20" and 18" tire in height is just under 1/2".
Good luck & happy trails.

Jim

NHCelt

Hi all. Still shopping this truck. Does anyone have concerns anout payload capacity in the short bed? Definitely not as robust a rating as the long wheel base.

jnbhobe

I have a 2015 F350 DRW with 18" wheels. Like Alan_B I also have a Companion hitch - love it. I put air bags on the rear of my truck, I found it sagged just a little, so I run 40 lbs. of air. Pulls like a dream. According to my dealer the difference in the 20" and 18" tire in height is just under 1/2".
Good luck & happy trails.

Jim
DRW with 18 inch wheels

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk