Pricing help wanted

Today we went to a dealer, finally saw the North Trail 21FBS and decided that’s the one we want. We also looked at some other brands this dealer sells but they weren’t for us.

I have some questions about pricing. As we’ve mentioned, we’re new to RV’ing and want to be sure we’re getting a fair deal.

According to the North Trail MSRP Pricing Jim Beletti posted on 8/5, the unit we saw (only option is aluminum wheels) is marked up almost $1900 for shipping and dealer prep. The dealer is marking the unit down 15% of the MSRP then adding the $1900. Is this a normal markdown?

Are the battery and the cover included with the trailer?

The dealer recommends the Reese 800lb Strait-Line WD hitch and High Performance sway bar (over $925). Is the 800lb hitch enough? Is the price about right for the hitch and setup?

The brake controller is Prodigy, installed for about $225.

We think the list price of the trailer is ok, but we want to be sure the markdown is normal and the pricing of the accessories isn’t too high before we sign on the dotted line.

GaryB

Bill and Kathy

I would suggest to obtain several quotes for that same model/options from some of the "discount" RV dealers such as www.rvpricebusters.com, www.rvwholesalers.com and www.rvs4less.net . This will give you an idea of what some of the best prices would be. Armed with this information, you will then be in a better negotiating position with your local dealer. My local dealer came to within $1000 of the best price (which in my case was from rvpricebusters.com; the salesman was Brad Hoffman, I think). But I don't think my local dealer would have come down so much if I hadn't showed him what I could have bought it elsewhere for.

Good luck
Gary

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Shipping costs are right around $1.50 - $1.60 per mile right now because of fuel surcharges so it's a big chunk. Batteries are supplied by the dealers so you get something fresh when you buy it. When transporting we have to supply our own battery to work landing gear, breakaway power etc.

bigredtruck

Pricing help

I forget what forum I read it on (not this site) but you should be able to get 30% off MSRP before dealer prep. We are pretty happy with the price we got from Lakeshore RV in Michigan, especially compared to Canadian prices. Even with the shipping at $1.68/mile for 2300 miles, we are still getting a great deal. BUT, (and I think this is fair but others may not), you won't get a written quote as they don't want you using it against them.

Pricing Help

Bill & Kathy,

We too have decided that the North Trail 21FBS is the TT for us after casual and serious looking for over 2 years. We went to our local dealer and got a price of **** almost out the door. Only additions for us would be tax, title and insurance. **** includes the EQ hitch and the dealer installing the break controller I already have. I too will visit the web sites Gary recommends before we go back and sign on the dotted line.

Good luck!
Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Shop online

We also did the shopping online deal. The best Price for our new 31QBS was from https://www.rvcapitalwholesalers.com, After we added all the options we wanted at their web site they gave us there price. We had lost our last trailer and had replacement insurance. I thought I would give our local dealer that is 15 mins away from the house a shoot. After telling them the exact details and all options they got there price within 500 dollars. Delivered and some extras they provide.
So shop and get the best price and then give your local guy a chance to get your business.
Work out great for us and we don't have to travel to get the new trailer in 6 to 8 weeks.