What's that smell?

2TrakR

Encountered a new smell on our Cyclone, still trying to figure out the source.

Best to describe it as rotten potatoes (if you ever left a bag of taters in the garage in the summer...).

Only smell it on the outside, primarily near the kitchen slide (about middle of the rig). It's on the dump valve sides, but they are clean.

It's not sewer smell.

Started when we got the rig out this spring (it sits outside year 'round and is near the woods).

I have not been able to figure it out. Have had the access panels off for the fridge and related areas, can't see anything underneath.

I almost wonder if we have a squirrel in there or maybe his stash is rotting in the undercarriage.

Anyone ever encounter and solve such an item?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I suggest that you purchase a gas sniffer and check all LP connections from the LP tanks to each LP appliance.
They are inexpensive and can be a life saver.
Oh, and I have encountered that smell. It was LP.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Same here, didn't quite smell like gas to me. But it ended up being a slightly loose gas fitting at the furnace that had been worked on several months prior but the rig wasn't used after the repairs. Took my little gas detector to isolate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2TrakR

Interesting, it does not smell like propane at all to me, but that's definitely worth checking into. Thanks for the suggestions.

weekender01

Sounds like some type of small animal may have crawled in somewhere and died. The hard part will be finding it. Good luck.

gregw

People we camped with in Florida had there underbelly filled with nuts by someone. That didn't smell to good.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Yes, with the leak we had, I had caught a mouse some days earlier (may have been inside before I applied a fresh coat of repellant), so I thought it might be a dead relative. Smell was worse in bedroom and I got a positive gas reading from the floor vent in the bathroom when the windows and roof vents were closed. No rodents found after a thorough search. It was enough of a leak to illuminate the yellow indicator on my small detector but never registered at or on the LP detector at the rear of the rig.

I posted a link earlier to the detector. It and a non-contact A/C probe are good to have and not very expensive.

BusManRG

I posted a link earlier to the detector. It and a non-contact A/C probe are good to have and not very expensive.

Can't seem to find your link and there are quite a few on Amazon. Since you are happy with yours would you mind sharing the link again?

Sandy