How to mouse proof (seal) the universal docking station?

BobTheBuilder

When you unscrew the port in the bottom to pass in the water hose and cables, you have a big gaping hole. I was going to fashion some sort of plate notched to fit the hose and cable and screw it in place but thought I'd ask first if any others have ideas or what they did.

rxbristol

When you unscrew the port in the bottom to pass in the water hose and cables, you have a big gaping hole. I was going to fashion some sort of plate notched to fit the hose and cable and screw it in place but thought I'd ask first if any others have ideas or what they did.

I did what your thinking about doing. I used a very thick and pliable floor tile. Been using it for two years and no evidence of vermin.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I got a 2" thick piece of cushion foam and cut a circle about 1/2" bigger than the close-out plate. Cut a small hose to pass my water hose through and stuff it in the opening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigGuy82

Why do you need to "mouse proof" this compartment? If a critter does go up the hose, where will he go once he gets into the compartment? It's sealed from the baggage compartment and there is no egress into any other part of the coach. I think that putting a rubber pad down is nice, but a rodent will chew through that without a problem. I guess it's nice if that's what you prefer but from a practical point of view it seems ineffective - once a rodent gets in, he'll turn around and leave unless you've got some sort of food in there. There are also no nesting materials in there, and I don't see the vermin carting that up the hose to build one, and in fact, if you give them a rubber mat to chew on, they might build one out of that.

olcoon

At least on our rig, there is a slight gap between the closed door, and the front wall of the UDC. It's probably big enough for a critter to squeeze through, especially a smaller one. I do know it's big enough for an extension cord to fit. On top of that, putting some type of seal there if nothing else will prevent cold/hot air from getting into the basement area. I used a closed cell foam pad like you'd use for hunting. I cut it to fit tightly into the UDC, and then cut a smaller hole in the center for the water hose.

BobTheBuilder

First of all, thanks to all who have so generously taken the time to write prior stainless steel scrubbie.jpgposts and the manuals. I so appreciate those efforts that I had spent more than 100 hours the past 2-3 weeks reading forum entries and making notes but I missed this.

Yes, a mouse can chew through the foam but it keeps out dirt, insulates, etc. and you will know the mouse has arrived. They chew plastic and water lines (hose) so they absolutely could do damage.

I think I will use the garden kneeling foam and see if I can incorporate one of these on the bottom to make a chew-proof initial barrier.

JohnDar

Haven't had one chew through it in the years I've been doing it. Until we started applying MouseFree, we did get mice inside, but not through there. Follow the poop trail and you will see where they get in.

BigGuy82

Haven't had one chew through it in the years I've been doing it. Until we started applying MouseFree, we did get mice inside, but not through there. Follow the poop trail and you will see where they get in.

Your MouseFree comment caught my attention, so I looked the stuff up on Amazon. Very pricey - $140/gallon, but if it works well it's worrth it, especially since I'll be storing my coach indoors down south for 3 months before going to my winter site in Alabama. Any problems with dirt sticking to the undercarriage creating a mess? Does it adhere well in heavy rain (splashing from the road)? Is the menthol smell overwhelming?

Thanks.

JohnDar

First off, don't buy it from Amazon. Go to the manufacturer's website and buy direct for $99.95 a gallon with free shipping. Two gallons at $199 gets their sprayer for free. Two gallons will last a couple of seasons or more since you apply it once a year.

It leaves a gel-like coating on the surfaces and will attract dirt and dust if you drive through a lot of it. I have not had a problem with that. And it does seem to prevent rusting of the frame.

Rain and splash seems to not be a problem. You can wipe it off with a rag if needed or just spray over the previous application. The mint odor is very faint while applying and almost not detectable once it's been on for a while. But still effective for small rodents and crawling insects. The gel surface also makes it difficult for them to traverse it.

If mice are already in the rig, you need to get them out before applying for it to be effective.

Unless you really lay it on thick, a gallon will take care of a BH3670 with some to spare. You only need to spray the frame and anything other than the tires that touches the ground. I put some on a small paint brush and apply it to a section of the power cord and my water hose. The wife's planters and shepherd hooks for her bird feeders and plants get a "painting" near the ground, too, to keep ants out of them.

The stuff works for me. I am not a paid endorser, either.

BigGuy82

First off, don't buy it from Amazon. Go to the manufacturer's website and buy direct for $99.95 a gallon with free shipping. Two gallons at $199 gets their sprayer for free. Two gallons will last a couple of seasons or more since you apply it once a year.

It leaves a gel-like coating on the surfaces and will attract dirt and dust if you drive through a lot of it. I have not had a problem with that. And it does seem to prevent rusting of the frame.

Rain and splash seems to not be a problem. You can wipe it off with a rag if needed or just spray over the previous application. The mint odor is very faint while applying and almost not detectable once it's been on for a while. But still effective for small rodents and crawling insects. The gel surface also makes it difficult for them to traverse it.

If mice are already in the rig, you need to get them out before applying for it to be effective.

Unless you really lay it on thick, a gallon will take care of a BH3670 with some to spare. You only need to spray the frame and anything other than the tires that touches the ground. I put some on a small paint brush and apply it to a section of the power cord and my water hose. The wife's planters and shepherd hooks for her bird feeders and plants get a "painting" near the ground, too, to keep ants out of them.

The stuff works for me. I am not a paid endorser, either.

Thanks. One more question - when you say "frame", does that include the entire underbelly (coroplast) or just the exposed frame? I'm assuming everything but just want to make sure.

JohnDar

I only spray the frame web and the top and bottom of the lower flange, some overspray onto the coroplast near it but not the whole thing. I guess if you park in tall weeds, crawling insects might use them to get in, but that's about it. Take care around the tires not to get it into the brakes. I just put some cardboard between the frame and back of the tires. The spray itself, isn't as misty as a spray paint can, though. I run their sprayer at about 60psi. I bought theirs because I didn't have one.

Spray across the front of the rig, the rear stabilizers and the jacks. If hydraulic jacks, spraying the upper tube section should be enough. I have rear stabilizers, so I hit the arms in that, along with the outer tubes on my Ultra-Fab rods. I also spray across the back beam of the drop frame section. Doing the axles is OK, but I tend to do what I can hit without crawling underneath.

Takes me about 90 minutes to do my rig.