First time pulling 32 ft trailer w SRW

Dreamer7

Hello,

Hoping for pointers and tips on first time pulling my huuuge camper. I haven't gotten up the nerve to try it yet despite buying a truck. So, hoping for some easy tips and/or suggestions on how to be the most successful. I'm planning short drives to large parking lots to practice backing in, to increase my comfort and confidence before pulling it out of the driveway!

I have been told it pulls well, biggest concerns are big turns, visibility when driving, backing in and eventually, mountains!

Appreciate your feedback, happy Camping.

Katy

Oregon_Camper

#1 - NEVER get in a rush. People behind you will get where they are going...don't worry about them.

#2 - Backing up. Simple trick is to put you hand on bottom of steering wheel them move your hand in the direction you want the rear of the trailer to go.

#3 - Mirrors and reverse cameras are GREAT...but getting out and checking what is behind you or next to you is always the best bet if you have any concerns.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Katy is it a TT or fithwheel ?

Either way when backing up "less is more" don't try to turn the front tires too much. Make smaller movements, that way you can control the movement if the trailer instead of it controlling you.
Not sure if that makes sense in writing
Going forward just swing wide and don't forget about the tail swing back there.
Hopefully you have a good set of side mirrors with the spot mirrors. You'll want to set the spot mirrors so you can see the trailer tires and be able to see how close you are getting to the curb when your making right turns. Before long you'll get the hang of it.

Some times it's just better to go around the block making left turns (if possible and not to far out of the way) instead of trying to make a tight right turn.

That's just a few things I can think of

Hope it helps
Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Dreamer7

Thank you Jerrod! Unfortunately it's a TT. Had I known then what I know now...well, we've all been there with the hindsight is 20/20. The temporary air compressor is charging now and I'm planning first drive on a slow Sunday afternoon!

:). Katy

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, one was purchased w the Trailer. I do know how to hook it all up.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks!! Great tips!!! :).

Oregon_Camper #1 - NEVER get in a rush. People behind you will get where they are going...don't worry about them. #2 - Backing up. Simple trick is to put you hand on bottom of steering wheel them move your hand in the direction you want the rear of the trailer to go. #3 - Mirrors and reverse cameras are GREAT...but getting out and checking what is behind you or next to you is always the best bet if you have any concerns.[/QUOTE said:
- - - Updated - - -

The tip about seeing back tires very helpful, thanks again.

Katy is it a TT or fithwheel ?

Either way when backing up "less is more" don't try to turn the front tires too much. Make smaller movements, that way you can control the movement if the trailer instead of it controlling you.
Not sure if that makes sense in writing
Going forward just swing wide and don't forget about the tail swing back there.
Hopefully you have a good set of side mirrors with the spot mirrors. You'll want to set the spot mirrors so you can see the trailer tires and be able to see how close you are getting to the curb when your making right turns. Before long you'll get the hang of it.

Some times it's just better to go around the block making left turns (if possible and not to far out of the way) instead of trying to make a tight right turn.

That's just a few things I can think of

Hope it helps
Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Dumboldles

A good copilot/navigator sure helps out when backing up and figuring out which lane you need to be maneuvering into while on the rode. Try to plan ahead on what exit you will need to take. You will need to figure what fuel sources are the easiest when pulling a 30" tt. Truck stops work great or places that have dedicated RV islands.

Good luck, have fun and drive safe, Dumboldles

Dreamer7

Thanks for your points and the reminder to have fun!! I'm planning a trip to Colorado this Summer once I get this driving thing worked out! :). I have a deisel truck so I'm hoping there will be plenty of flying J/type places along the way. I hope you are enjoying your Summer travel/adventures as well!

Katy

A good copilot/navigator sure helps out when backing up and figuring out which lane you need to be maneuvering into while on the rode. Try to plan ahead on what exit you will need to take. You will need to figure what fuel sources are the easiest when pulling a 30" tt. Truck stops work great or places that have dedicated RV islands.

Good luck, have fun and drive safe, Dumboldles

danemayer

Thanks for your points and the reminder to have fun!! I'm planning a trip to Colorado this Summer once I get this driving thing worked out! :). I have a deisel truck so I'm hoping there will be plenty of flying J/type places along the way. I hope you are enjoying your Summer travel/adventures as well!

Katy
If driving Colorado mountain passes, you'll want to descend with the engine brake on, a lower gear, and keep your speed down to about 35. Minimize use of your brakes.

Dreamer7

Ok, dumb question. How do I drive w brake on? I'm driving a '99 deisel so maybe it dies have a lower gear, I'll have to check tomorrow. I drove a driveable through Colorado mountains last summer and some moments were terrifying, so this is a big concern. Appreciate your input! Thank you.

If driving Colorado mountain passes, you'll want to descend with the engine brake on, a lower gear, and keep your speed down to about 35. Minimize use of your brakes.

danemayer

Ok, dumb question. How do I drive w brake on? I'm driving a '99 deisel so maybe it dies have a lower gear, I'll have to check tomorrow. I drove a driveable through Colorado mountains last summer and some moments were terrifying, so this is a big concern. Appreciate your input! Thank you.
I think all the newer diesel trucks have an engine brake, but your '99 may not. If not, you'll definitely have to use a lower gear to control speed. Once you get over about 35 mph, you'll start to pick up speed quickly.

What truck do you have? Someone here probably can advise on how it's equipped and best way to operate.

Dreamer7

I have a '99 deisel SRW 2500, crew cab six foot bed. Yes, if someone else has the same or similar truck please advise. Thank you for that suggestion.

I think all the newer diesel trucks have an engine brake, but your '99 may not. If not, you'll definitely have to use a lower gear to control speed. Once you get over about 35 mph, you'll start to pick up speed quickly.

What truck do you have? Someone here probably can advise on how it's equipped and best way to operate.

donr827

You can go to YouTube and search for trailer driving and also backing up a trailer. You should find quite a few videos.
Don

Dreamer7

Yes, thank you. I have watched several including the "scoop" on how to curve toward and away from site, to make backing in easier. Some of them are just for show so was looking for specific what to do/ what NOTto do. This goes back to my teaching classes. :)

You can go to YouTube and search for trailer driving and also backing up a trailer. You should find quite a few videos.
Don

Dumboldles

We pulled a 30" TT for 7 years before moving up to a 5th wheel and we have a similar diesel truck, so I can relate to your concerns. When looking for RV resorts to stay, check to see if they have pull through sites; this generally makes things easier--no backing in. Also, don't be uncomfortable in asking camp hosts or the folks checking you in for help--that's what they do and never had a refuse to help. And, feel free to use your fellow campers--they all have been newbies themselves and will willing to help with that challenge of backing in.

Dumboldles

Dreamer7

Thank you! Great advice. I generally prefer state parks but if on a long trip I will definitely plan ahead with those things in mind. I know a dually provides better stability but this truck was a great deal I couldn't pass up. Good to know others have done this successfully pulling a long camper and with a SRW. :)

After someone mentioned using mirrors to see back tires I looked at camper and see wheels are semi mid camper, not much farther back as I was thinking. For some reason this makes it seem like it will be a bit easier! Just have to take the plunge in this coming week and see how it goes. Going to get wider mirrors first, hopefully.

Thanks again,
Katy

We pulled a 30" TT for 7 years before moving up to a 5th wheel and we have a similar diesel truck, so I can relate to your concerns. When looking for RV resorts to stay, check to see if they have pull through sites; this generally makes things easier--no backing in. Also, don't be uncomfortable in asking camp hosts or the folks checking you in for help--that's what they do and never had a refuse to help. And, feel free to use your fellow campers--they all have been newbies themselves and will willing to help with that challenge of backing in.

Dumboldles

PondSkum

I have towed a 32 ft TT with my SRW Ram 2500. It is not too bad, just follow the advice given previously. Don't get in any hurry, and make sure you have a weight distribution hitch with sway control. Backing up a trailer is easier with practice. Your plan of going to a large parking lot and practicing before hand is a great idea. I recently purchased my first 5th wheel (38 ft), I did the same thing, took it to an empty parking lot so I could turn and see what the turning limits were. Now I'm getting better, I live on a residential dead end street with a cul-de-sac at the end. And my house is on the right side, so I've been testing my pulling capabilities by driving to the end (around a 90* turn) and turning around in the cul-de-sac, so that I can have my driveway on my left side for backing in. I have to put the trailer within about 10" of the side of my garage to keep it on the driveway, so it takes me a few attempts to get it straightened up and into it's spot.

When making turns, just always swing it out as wide as you can, it's better to be overly cautious. And like mentioned above, just remember to have fun! Try not to let the nerves get to you, or they will ruin your good time!

attachment.php

Attachments

• 18519691_10207285125881296_6123399453109273568_n.jpg
    18519691_10207285125881296_6123399453109273568_n.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 202

danemayer

Katy,

I've attached a page from the Texas CDL study guide that has good advice on turns and a few other things.

Attachments

• CDL Handbook Texas TURNS DL-7C 35.pdf
    26.8 KB · Views: 21

Dreamer7

Katy,

I've attached a page from the Texas CDL study guide that has good advice on turns and a few other things.

Great, thank you! I'm actually getting excited. Everyone's help has been a game changer! Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Love that advice Pondscum! What a name. Lol. Looking forward to conquering this insecurity! Lol. The people on this forum are phenomenal!!

I have towed a 32 ft TT with my SRW Ram 2500. It is not too bad, just follow the advice given previously. Don't get in any hurry, and make sure you have a weight distribution hitch with sway control. Backing up a trailer is easier with practice. Your plan of going to a large parking lot and practicing before hand is a great idea. I recently purchased my first 5th wheel (38 ft), I did the same thing, took it to an empty parking lot so I could turn and see what the turning limits were. Now I'm getting better, I live on a residential dead end street with a cul-de-sac at the end. And my house is on the right side, so I've been testing my pulling capabilities by driving to the end (around a 90* turn) and turning around in the cul-de-sac, so that I can have my driveway on my left side for backing in. I have to put the trailer within about 10" of the side of my garage to keep it on the driveway, so it takes me a few attempts to get it straightened up and into it's spot.

When making turns, just always swing it out as wide as you can, it's better to be overly cautious. And like mentioned above, just remember to have fun! Try not to let the nerves get to you, or they will ruin your good time!

attachment.php