turn off city water when using pump?

herefishy

Does it damage anything if you leave your city water on while you run your pump? Like if you want a stronger shower, but don't want to go outside to turn off the city water?

mlpeloquin

Does it damage anything if you leave your city water on while you run your pump? Like if you want a stronger shower, but don't want to go outside to turn off the city water?

In order to pump water from your fresh water tank, you have to select it by turning the Anderson valve. Doing so cuts off the city water. So yes turn off the city water. Better yet, get a Oxygenitics shower head.

danemayer

Your 2011 pre-dates the 4-way Anderson Valve, so you don't have to worry about how to set it. If you have poor water flow from the campground faucet, you may improve flow by running the pump. But I'm not sure if you'll get much more water flow than the higher of the two sources. And of course you'll have to refill the fresh tank as needed.

An Oxygenics shower head will help make better use of available water flow. You should also check your water regulator and water filter. Most inexpensive water pressure regulators severely restrict flow of water to control pressure. More expensive regulators control pressure while allowing good water flow. And water filters over time get particle buildup that reduces water flow. Change as needed.

Marc - there are 2 generations of Anderson Valves. The early ones are as you described. The more recent ones allow use of city water when set to Normal, and allow use of the pump when set to CITY.

pjones1969

2nd the regulator, I mistakenly left mine at a site so I bought a Camco for a replacement, it was very noticeable how it restricted the flow, replaced it with a Valterra and back to good pressure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

herefishy

Your 2011 pre-dates the 4-way Anderson Valve, so you don't have to worry about how to set it. If you have poor water flow from the campground faucet, you may improve flow by running the pump. But I'm not sure if you'll get much more water flow than the higher of the two sources. And of course you'll have to refill the fresh tank as needed.

An Oxygenics shower head will help make better use of available water flow. You should also check your water regulator and water filter. Most inexpensive water pressure regulators severely restrict flow of water to control pressure. More expensive regulators control pressure while allowing good water flow. And water filters over time get particle buildup that reduces water flow. Change as needed.

Marc - there are 2 generations of Anderson Valves. The early ones are as you described. The more recent ones allow use of city water when set to Normal, and allow use of the pump when set to CITY.

We have a switch inside the trailer to turn on the pump, but sometimes do only that and forget to go out and turn off the city water - is that a problem??

mlpeloquin

Well I learned somthing about the early fifth wheels and the new Anderson valves.

As as far as water pressure goes, so long as you have a pressure regulator, you should not be able to damage your fifth wleel's plumbing.

Lynn1130

There have been times when the RV park's water pressure has been low enough that I filled the water tank and pumped that rather than using the city water.

rmeyer

Stay in CG with only 30 lb pressure. Will use water pump if needed. Second Oxigenic head.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Dennyha

We have a switch inside the trailer to turn on the pump, but sometimes do only that and forget to go out and turn off the city water - is that a problem??

I just noticed this past week that if I engage the water pump while the Anderson valve is set to "city", it pushes water out the input to the Anderson valve. If it's set to "normal", it does not do this. Is this normal?

danemayer

I just noticed this past week that if I engage the water pump while the Anderson valve is set to "city", it pushes water out the input to the Anderson valve. If it's set to "normal", it does not do this. Is this normal?

If water comes out the city water connection, the check valve at the connection is stuck open. Might just be something caught it the valve. You may be able to manipulate it to get it working again. If not, you may have to get a new Anderson Valve assembly.