25K AirSafe hitch problems

Thunderbolt

We have an AirSafe 25K hitch which we purchased almost a year ago. We purchased the Ford conversion system to allow the use of the F-450 puck system. The problem that we have is the hitch will not hold air pressure. We called the factory and were told how to find any leaks. Using what we were told, we found a leak on one of the air bag connections.

We emailed the factory rep and he sent us parts. I installed the parts according to the instructions given me by the factory rep. I filled the system with air to 100 psi. Hitch the trailer to the truck and pull it out of the RV barn where we keep the trailer. Once the trailer is out of the barn and level, the indicators on the side of the shocks show the hitch is in the green area. We unhitch the trailer and open it up to allow it to air out.

About an hour later, I looked at the hitch and the shocks, with no weight on them, are back to the bottom of the green area. Spray all of the connections with an LP leak finding solution and no bubbles. Recharge the system with air to 100 psi again. Shocks move to the top of their travel showing the lighter shade of red. Close up the trailer, hitch it to the truck, and back it into the RV barn. Leave it hitched to the truck to see what happens.

Less than an hour later, the shocks are no longer in the green area. Spray all of the connections again, some of which are really hard to reach and no bubbles. Ideas? Air bag(s) leaking? I know somewhere there is a leak but where and what to do is the question.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you have a leak is will show up using a mixture of dish washing detergent and a little water.
Be sure to check the Shroeder valve and related fittings.

Peace
Dave

sjbclb

AirSafe says 90 lbs of air with no load. On my hitch I start with 60 lbs of air with no load. If you can pull out any of those air lines out without releasing the ring then it wasn't pushed in far enough.

Thunderbolt

AirSafe says 90 lbs of air with no load. On my hitch I start with 60 lbs of air with no load. If you can pull out any of those air lines out without releasing the ring then it wasn't pushed in far enough.

Are you referring to the black rubber ring the air line is pushed into?

- - - Updated - - -

The white arrow points to the original leak.

Attachments

• Airsafe Leak 1.jpg
    Airsafe Leak 1.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 54

porthole

Retired
Are you referring to the black rubber ring the air line is pushed into?

- - - Updated - - -

The white arrow points to the original leak.

I would try and minimize that bend coming out of the fitting. I have had PTC's (push to connect) leak when stressed like that.

- - - Updated - - -

And maybe use a razor blade, cut 3/8" off for a fresh fit.

Thunderbolt

Round Two:

I contacted AirSafe hitch and requested that they send me replacement parts for the entire air system on the hitch. They agreed to do this.

I received a box today with the parts in it. Unfortunately, the new air bags, t-fittings, and air lines are bigger that the OEM. Also, AirSafe did not send air lines to reach between the T-fittings on the center of each tower to the Schrader valve in the center of the hitch. They did not send a new Schrader valve assembly or a T-fitting to connect the new larger air lines to.

So right now, I can replace the air bags, air lines, and T-fitting up to the center area of the towers. But the T-fittings are too large to accept the OEM air lines. Have a new email to AirSafe.

I thought that AirSafe would send everything including the Schrader valve but they did not. Waiting to see what they do next.