B&W vs. Reese for 20'000lbs?

deonb

Have a 2017 F350 Dually and will probably be buying a Heartland 427 (20'000lbs GVWR) within the next week or so.

I'm torn between the Ford Custom Reese hitch kit:
https://accessories.ford.com/kit-trailer-hitch-bar-11553.html

and the B&W Companion.

I really love that the B&W can be dismantled in 2 pieces, but at 20'000lbs rated, it's right on the edge of the GVWR of the RV itself.

Should I not worry about that, and the B&W Companion is perfectly safe even if my trailer is loaded at or slightly over 20'000lbs? Or do I need to go with a hitch with a higher rating?

asherwin

We have the Reese hitch on our '11 F350 dually and have had no issues for the past five years. We travel fairly extensively year round so it gets lots of use. You say you like the B&W's ability to be broken down into two parts. The Reese hitch head can be separated from the main body allowing it to also be in two parts for easier one person handling. I am sure either hitch will be a good choice.

richheck

Seasoned Member
I have been using the B&W products for over 15 years and wouldn't look at anything else - totally satisfied

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

travlingman

I was in the same boat as you about a new hitch for my 2017 Ford. Was worried next trailer would be over B&W weight rating. Ended up going with the Curt Q25 and like it very much. Easy to break down into 2 pieces. Like that the head articulates 360 degrees verses the rest who move front to back and side to side. The Q25 is rated at 24K.

dave10a

I have the same Reese hitch that is now 5 years old and still doing fine. The only issue I have is it can be tricky to unhook with the one jaw design. I put the front jacks down until the truck's overload spring is clear and then the release lever works well without the need for two gorillas and a wolf man to release it. The hitch is full proof, very secure and works well. I suppose all other hitches are good as well-- I don't think you can go wrong with most of them.