Anderson hitch for short bed

BighornELK

Thinking about changing our hitch, and leaning toward the Anderson or the Pullrite superlite. My problem, we have a 6 1/2' short bed. One company says their hitch will work, while the other says they don't recommend. Is there anyone attending the Goshen Rally using either hitch? If so, I'd like to hear from you. Thanks

Russ & Bonnie Schurig

Think about changing our hitch, and leaning toward the Anderson or the Pullrite superlite. My problem, we have a 6 1/2' short bed. One company says their hitch will work, while the other says they don't recommend. Is there anyone attending the Goshen Rally using either hitch? If so, I'd like to hear from you. Thanks

Russ & Bonnie Schurig

Yes I'd be interested in this as well. I have the 6.5' bed and need to make a decision pretty soon. I'm leaning toward the Anderson myself and was told the Pullrite was having some issues but who knows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Russ & Bonnie:I am in site 216 at Goshen...Come by and take a look at my SB Mega Cab with the Andersen....I would never give it up...wow it is so simple and easy to hook up and take out.It's rock solid......If you see Cheyenne and me walking around just stop me and we can discuss as well...

CoveredWagon

The Andersen hitch is the way to go. I have the aluminum one, simple to install quick to hitch and unhitch, everything you could want. So far I have found everything in the adds / videos to be true. What I liked best was it added about 9 inches to the placement of the king pin.

Garypowell

One thing that caused me concern in my decision of going with Anderson hitch was the term "short bed". I have a 2015 Chevy 3500 HD with the 6' 5" bed. I always have called it a short bed.

But It turns out it is not.

In Anderson's literature and manual it uses that term and explains you might have to turn the hitch around to work and that your front cap could hit the back of your truck.

I fussed and fumed over over that for weeks but still decided to buy it.

Once i had it I thought it would work fine in the normal position so I started to research my truck. And guess what.....no place in any of my paperwork or brochures could I find my truck being described as having a short bed. In fact it is called a standard bed.

Not sure about what your bed is called but I have now taken 3 trips over 5,000 miles and it is the best hitch I have had over my 20+ years of towing 5th wheels....with my standard bed of 6' 5".

CoveredWagon

One thing that caused me concern in my decision of going with Anderson hitch was the term "short bed". I have a 2015 Chevy 3500 HD with the 6' 5" bed. I always have called it a short bed.

But It turns out it is not.

In Anderson's literature and manual it uses that term and explains you might have to turn the hitch around to work and that your front cap could hit the back of your truck.

I fussed and fumed over over that for weeks but still decided to buy it.

Once i had it I thought it would work fine in the normal position so I started to research my truck. And guess what.....no place in any of my paperwork or brochures could I find my truck being described as having a short bed. In fact it is called a standard bed.

Not sure about what your bed is called but I have now taken 3 trips over 5,000 miles and it is the best hitch I have had over my 20+ years of towing 5th wheels....with my standard bed of 6' 5".

With most Chevy GMC and Ford if you purchase a 1/2 ton truck in a crew cab configuration you will get a short bed. They are 9 to 12 inches shorter the what's called the standard bed in the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.

KenandKK

I'm in site 426 if you would like to see the steel rail mount in a 8ft GMC. I'm very happy with the Anderson, I did have to mount the k-pin adapter with the ball receiver to the rear, for side bed clearance.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

jleavitt11

retired Utah Chapter Leaders
Thinking about changing our hitch, and leaning toward the Anderson or the Pullrite superlite. My problem, we have a 6 1/2' short bed. One company says their hitch will work, while the other says they don't recommend. Is there anyone attending the Goshen Rally using either hitch? If so, I'd like to hear from you. Thanks

Russ & Bonnie Schurig
I have the same 6 1/2 foot bed and the Anderson hitch. I have not had any problems with backing and can make almost a full 90 degree turn. It is IMO the best hitch on the market and I have been pulling 5er's for 40 years. We rarely camp in camp grounds. I have to hitch and unhitch on uneven terrain a lot and it is so easy with the Anderson compared to standard hitches its unbelievable.

Lynn1130

I, too, have the "standard " bed with the Andersen and love it. A 90 degree turn would be no issue, although I try not to get into those situations. I don't think the difference between the 6-5 is going to be any different than the 6-6. If you can make it with 6 and 1/2 I would think you would have a little more room with a 6' 5".

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I like the Anderson and will probably get one next time we upgrade our truck and trailer (10 years away . . . right :confused: ).

For now, I like the luxury of having my slider hitch just in case I need it.

Darn thing is heavy, though . . .

I have a 2015 Chevy 2500HD double cab with the short box.

TruckRubberMat-P1010995.jpg

BighornELK

Russ & Bonnie:I am in site 216 at Goshen...Come by and take a look at my SB Mega Cab with the Andersen....I would never give it up...wow it is so simple and easy to hook up and take out.It's rock solid......If you see Cheyenne and me walking around just stop me and we can discuss as well...

Thanks for the input. We stopped by earlier, but there was no one there. We will try back later.

Bcf4life

For any future folks looking, i have the even smaller "standard bed with ram box"on my 1 ton SRW, short version, works like a champ!

Now i DID add a 4" offset gooseneck on the bottom to make sure it was far enough back, and also mounted the block backwards(kingpin in front of the ball receptacle). I will post pics and try to explain my reasoning, but basically the length of my bed wasnt a problem with the hitch, the width becomes an issue when turning due to the distance between the bed rails with the rambox system (4' if i remember right). So the pinbox doesnt rise in angle fast enough not to hit the side when turning, so by mounting my block backwards when i turn it kind of moves the front of my pinbox more to the other side of the bed and in turn allows the back of my pinbox to clear my bed rails.

Again i will add pictures when i can take some, and try to provide an illustration explaining some of the logic behind what i typed out. I do also want to take more measurements and see if i have extra room to eliminate maybe my extra 4" offset. I bought the camper 6 hours from home, so i could only research hitch options and take what i knew would work, since it worked and pulled well i havent ever gone back to see just how much clearance i actually have. I can assure you i am REAL close to 90 when i back it into my driveway, and have never touched anything anywhere.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk