Solar prep

The coach I'm planning on buying is the Torque 345. The dealer tells me it has "solar prep" but nobody seems to know what that means. Some have told me it's wired for roof mounted panels and that's about it. Some tell me the prep means the charging port/plug runs down the side of the coach so you can plug in the portable solar/suitcase kits. The portable is what I'm looking for but after speaking with a tech from Zamco, I'm told that "solar prep" is more of a catch phrase and doesn't mean it's wired or has the proper components to charge the system.

Can anyone who has bought the Torque chime in here?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oregon_Camper

I think we've come to the conclusion, solar prep on Heartland products mean the MC4 connectors are on the roof, the wiring is already in place (down the trailer), some have a template in place to add the controller (MPPT or PVM) and then the wiring should also be in place to get to your battery location.

BTW...who is "Zamco"? I know of "Zamp" as a solar manufacture, but have never heard of Zamco.

Solar is awesome, but takes a lot planning. Are you looking to simply top off battery (batteries??) while camping or do you dry camp and will need solar to provide all your power needs?

Here are a couple of prior posts that you should read....then come back with questions. Happy to help :cool:

https://heartlandowners.org/showthr...mounted-MPPT-controllers?highlight=solar+mppt

https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/65454-Parallel-or-Series?highlight=solar+mppt

https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/65880-T32-placement-of-solar-controller?highlight=solar

I think we've come to the conclusion, solar prep on Heartland products mean the MC4 connectors are on the roof, the wiring is already in place (down the trailer), some have a template in place to add the controller (MPPT or PVM) and then the wiring should also be in place to get to your battery location.

Solar is awesome, but takes a lot planning. Are you looking to simply top off battery (batteries??) while camping or do you dry camp and will need solar to provide all your power needs?

Here are a couple of prior posts that you should read....then come back with questions. Happy to help :cool:

https://heartlandowners.org/showthr...mounted-MPPT-controllers?highlight=solar+mppt

https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/65454-Parallel-or-Series?highlight=solar+mppt

https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/65880-T32-placement-of-solar-controller?highlight=solar

Most of the camping I'll be doing is without hookups of any kind and would like to be able to run TVs and such using solar. But I believe this would mean using an invert. If the cheapest method would be to just keep the batteries topped off, and use the genny for any 110v needs, then that might have to suffice. Whichever is cheapest and simple

Oregon_Camper

Solar setup and configuration to complete what you're looking to do, takes time, planning and $$$. Now, I would never go back to using a generator for our needs. I have a LOT of time and money and self-education into our solar (and inverter) setup. For me, never needing to listen to a generator while camping is top priority. We have 100% battery charge every day, and that allows us to do anything we want via 120v power (TV, Microwave, hairdryer, coffer maker). The one exception to this is of course the AC unit. However, living in PNW, that isn't really ever a factor.

I also like having the space in the front compartment for stuff, rather than a big/stinky generator.

Now, if you really wanted to move to Solar, you could nix the generator and use that $$$ toward solar. Yep..it will take some time, but you will come to love the fact you're using sunlight to power all your stuff vs gas. I'm no "tree hugger" (how can I be with a F-350 Diesel DRW?? LOL) but I just like knowing the sun is my power source.

As a bonus, my batteries are always being charged or trickle charged. Even in the dead of Winter, my batteries were at 100% every time I went to the storage location to check on trailer.

GoPower sells a complete kit (guessing not very many LOL) with everything you'd need to go from no solar to 100%. Check it out here, only $3,500. :cool:

Here is my layout. I just completed most of this a month ago, so if you want to chat, I'm willing to help.

3160EL Power Layout.jpg

esscobra

solar prep/wired for solar on bighorns means a plug near front compartment for the portable plug in setups-

Thanks for the info guys. And Oregon-Camper, that is one bad *** set-up you have sir. Unfortunately I'm neither inclined or mechanically/technically capable of installing such a system. I'm kinda wanting to keep the batteries charged and although I'd love to be able to run all the items you mentioned, it sounds awfully expensive and that's just not something I wanna delve into. I'm the guy that installs a faucet and it leaks and end up having to call a plumber to fix my job

Are you 100% sure?

We just had another member post his "solar prep" and he had all the connections from roof to battery location.

This is what I've run into with the dealers. Nobody seems to really be able to tell me what I'll need. They just tell me don't worry cuz it's solar prepped and all ya gotta do is plug it in. Sounds easy. I'm not so sure

Oregon_Camper

I'd call Heartland and get them to answer....

If you do end up with a connector for portable solutions, then adding a portlable solution would take minutes. Just open device and plug in....really...that easy. They have all the controller/logic included in the units.

My sister has this one and it work wonders.

Amazon Link

51U2VsYxwQL.jpg

danemayer

This is what I've run into with the dealers. Nobody seems to really be able to tell me what I'll need. They just tell me don't worry cuz it's solar prepped and all ya gotta do is plug it in. Sounds easy. I'm not so sure

I'd call Heartland and get them to answer....

If you do end up with a connector for portable solutions, then adding a portlable solution would take minutes. Just open device and plug in....really...that easy. They have all the controller/logic included in the units.

My sister has this one and it work wonders.

Amazon Link

View attachment 52488

Great idea

A solar installation is more than just plugging a panel into a connector. Heartland doesn't offer a solar solution - there's simply some pre-wiring for a very limited solar add-on involving a small solar panel and a controller of your choice - not much more than a battery trickle charger.

Deciding the type of system you need and how to accomplish your goals is up to you or a third party you select. Heartland won't provide help on that type of modification.

LBR

There are some complete 120W suitcase systems available thru Amazon for starting at roughly $250, up to $350 or so.

If someone is empowered to own a Zamp, the price is doubled that. I am sure they are a bit more effecient, but what a price difference​.

There are some complete 120W suitcase systems available thru Amazon for starting at roughly $250, up to $350 or so.

If someone is empowered to own a Zamp, the price is doubled that. I am sure they are a bit more effecient, but what a price difference​.

Zamp makes a 200 watt portable and that's the one I was kinda going for. 955 bucks tho

schew

The coach I'm planning on buying is the Torque 345. The dealer tells me it has "solar prep" but nobody seems to know what that means. Some have told me it's wired for roof mounted panels and that's about it. Some tell me the prep means the charging port/plug runs down the side of the coach so you can plug in the portable solar/suitcase kits. The portable is what I'm looking for but after speaking with a tech from Zamco, I'm told that "solar prep" is more of a catch phrase and doesn't mean it's wired or has the proper components to charge the system.

Can anyone who has bought the Torque chime in here?

Thanks

on my "solar prepped" Torque TQ 31, it had prerun wires from the roof to the "place the solar controller here" sticker". the wires on the roof has MC4 connectors already. Once you cut out the wall behind the sticker, you should find 4 ends of cable. 2 of them coming from your roof where they connect to your controller. The other 2 also connect to your controller and they continue down and are connected to your battery The wires are 10 ga.
hope this helps..

schew

Zamp makes a 200 watt portable and that's the one I was kinda going for. 955 bucks tho

if your TT is prewired like mine is, I purchased two 100 watt flexible solar panels from amazon, a gopower 30amp pvm controller, 50 ft. of EDPM tape and second 12v battery for less than $500 if recall correctly. Oregoncamper was instrumental in helping me decide the route I should take.
Oregoncamper, i passed on the more expensive trojan batteries as my kitchen remodel project is sucking all my money up at them moment...

Thanks guys for all the insight. I still undecided on the coach I'm gonna buy as the Torque 345 deal fell thru, unfortunately