Where to tap into 12v system for backup camera transmitter in front on 3010RE?

campcrew

I have a wireless backup camera that I want a better connection when travelling. I have an extension cord for the transmitter that I have run the length of the camper underneath to the front battery compartment area. The power is supplied by the transmitter. I would like to splice into the running lights on the front or into the side running light in the front for the 12v power. I know that the power to the side light is sourced through the space behind the bottom drawer in the closet but I don't know where the wire goes after that so that I can get to it in the front storage area. Does anyone have any suggestions, (besides getting a different camera:D) Thanks

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Think about pulling one of your rear cap running lights and tapping into that for your camera power.
You will need to have your running lights on while traveling.

Peace
Dave

campcrew

The problem is that the power is linked to the transmitter that I ran upfront to the front storage area so that there is less interference. I used an extension and fished it through the rear running lights and then down along the frame to the front storage. The power connection is not on the camera that I mounted in the back. I am tying to find a good way to tap in to the side running light up front.

On another note what have people used to "seal" around the camera cable coming into the unit?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you moved your transmitter up to the front then you should have no trouble finding a 12 volt wire. There is a light in the front generator compartment that you could tap into.

Peace
Dave

campcrew

Thanks. That is what I have done at this time. I was just looking to see if anyone had any idea on how to get to the running lights or side clearance light from the front storage area.

Oregon_Camper

Can't you just use a toner and find the running light wire coming in from the 7-pin connection to the truck? Seems like that would be easier than trying to tap into the lights.

If you can't find the actual wire, you could splice into it at the junction box and run a new wire back to where you have your transmitter.

Final question...why can't you have the power from the rear marker light (easy to get to) provide power to the transmitter in the front compartment. You said you already ran the wire from the front to the back....right? Seems like you could easily send power to to the transmitter this way and power camera from same rear marker light at the same time.

campcrew

I didn't think about bringing a wire along with the extension cable. I may do that since I left a string in the back that goes from the center running light down the side to under the camper. Thanks

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I'm not sure I understand what your doing. You said you have a WIRELESS camera, but you have ran a wire from the rear of the trailer all the way up to the front 🤔
Is it the Furrion wireless setup ?
On mine I have the rear camera powered by tapping into the top marker lights. (This works very well) then I have a repeater wired into my 7-way junction box and mounted right there on the back of my pinbox. I have the monitor sitting on a pad on my dash with no extra antannas and it works perfectly. Never even a glitch in almost 2 years now

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk