Inverter??

Rdsharp

We left the Goshen Rally this morning, everything was fine.. we stopped for the night and nothing but problems. Our jack's will not go down, message reads "low voltage". The fridge stopped working at some point during the day, the inverter is turned off, I turn it one and it peeps and shuts down?? WTH??? This is happening all the time anymore. What am I doing wrong??

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

danemayer

Plug into shore power and check the voltage reading on your levelup screen. Should be 13.2 - 13.6V when disconnected from the truck.

If your interior lights and air conditioner are working on shore power, the power converter is ok.

You may have a tripped 50 amp 12V DC manual reset circuit breaker. There's a row of breakers near the batteries that are connected with a copper buss bar and covered with red rubber boots.

Locate the breaker with the teeny, teeny-tiny reset button and press it. If the levelup voltage reading goes up to 13.2 - 13.6V, the tripped breaker was the problem.

I've attached some pictures to help.

Attachments

• Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 37
  • circuit breaker reset.jpg
    circuit breaker reset.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Buss Bar boot off Notated.jpg
    Buss Bar boot off Notated.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 34

Rdsharp

This is getting SO OLD... The air, lights, TV, Everything is working on shore power, but the voltage read 11.4? We seem to have this same problem everything we stop,?? Why is that breaker always tripping?

danemayer

This is getting SO OLD... The air, lights, TV, Everything is working on shore power, but the voltage read 11.4? We seem to have this same problem everything we stop,?? Why is that breaker always tripping?

No one knows why the breaker trips.

If you have tired batteries or they're low on water, the hydraulics pump might be drawing too much power across that breaker to make up for a battery problem. Might be time to take the batteries to an auto parts store or service center to have them load tested.

If it trips frequently, you might also want to try putting in a replacement breaker. Once they start tripping, that type of breaker can get weaker and weaker and trip more easily.

There's also been some speculation about voltage spikes when plugging/unplugging shore power. As a best practice, you might turn off the 50 amp breakers in the circuit breaker panel before unplugging from shore power, and wait to turn them back on until after you plug into shore power. If you have an EMS, there's a 2 minute delay applying power. Wait for the 2 minutes before turning the breakers on.

Lou_and_Bette

Not saying you do but, plugging/unplugging the shore power with the pedestal breaker in the "on" position will often trip the breaker in question. Always make sure the pedestal power is "off" before connecting or disconnecting.

Oregon_Camper

It would be great if that breaker (when tripped) could set off a small beeping alarm to notify owner there is a problem. It would test voltage on each side and alarm when X percent change noticed.

I vote we give this project to Jarrod (Jesstalkn)....he seems to thrive on these things. :cool:

danemayer

It would be great if that breaker (when tripped) could set off a small beeping alarm to notify owner there is a problem. It would test voltage on each side and alarm when X percent change noticed.

I vote we give this project to Jarrod (Jesstalkn)....he seems to thrive on these things. :cool:

That's a mod I'd like to see. Look for a differential > .3 would probably do it. It would alert you to tripped breaker, converter issues, and some battery issues.

And if someone designed this to be very inexpensive, you might be able to sell a bunch to Heartland and to owners.

mlpeloquin

One thing that trips it a lot is diconnecting from shore power without turning off the breakers first. It can happen when plugging into a live socket as well. Don't ask me why I know! I haven't had this happen for a long time since I always check the breaker before plugging in and diconnecting. I haven't made that mistake since being ordered out ASAP do to a wild fire coming our way fast. Never thought I could hitch up and go in 20 minuets! Took a while to find wher I put things!

wdk450

Just as a reminder to everyone reading this thread, plugging/unplugging your power cord into a LIVE (Circuit breaker NOT turned OFF) shorepower outlet will cause an arc on YOUR power cord plug prongs and a hidden arc inside the RV park outlet connector blades. These arc damage points are points of resistance which will generate heat under current loads, which causes more metal corrosion, in a self-destructive endless loop.

Once I plugged my new 30 amp adapter cord into an RV outlet (power off), ran the rig overnight, and upon unplugging my shorepower cord the next morning found my shorepower plug blades black with heat corrosion. This a gift from the previous RVers who DIDN'T turn the shorepower breaker OFF when connecting or unplugging.

I now spray my plug and the outlet with Cramolyn DeOxIt contact cleaner/restorer before connecting up.

Rdsharp

Yes I make sure the power is off before i plugin and unplug EVERY SINGLE TIME.....

LBR

I too make sure the pedestal is off, along with my 2 mains in the breaker box....then powering on the pedestal allows me to read the EMS display....if OK, the CY mains get turned on and I make mental note of converter charging amperage.....then inside loads get turned on.

When leaving, the cycle gets reversed in sequence until the pedestal is turned off for the next camper.