Air Springs for your tow vehicle

Does anyone hauling a heavy fifth wheel use adjustable air springs on their truck? Do you like them? Do they improve ride, handling, tire wear, etc.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Does anyone hauling a heavy fifth wheel use adjustable air springs on their truck? Do you like them? Do they improve ride, handling, tire wear, etc.
Absolutely love mine
I have AirLift system.
It's on a 2017 F350 DRW
Without the airbags aired up I get chucking and a beating in the back of the seat.
As soon as I air it up to 55psi that completely goes away.
At 55psi the overload springs are no longer touching the pads
Hope this helps
Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mikec91

I have a 5th wheel that comes in around 17000 and my truck is a single wheel 3500 chevy I like them rides great worth the install

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Relayman

I pull my BigHorn 3270RS
with my F-250. Air bags
work great !! Wouldn't pull without them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

DIYJunkie

Love my airbags. Also had airbags on a Toyota Tacoma with a bumper pull. They level the truck and improve the ride.

BusManRG

Those of you with the Air Lift kits, did you get the Ultimate with the "jounce" thingy, or the regular kits?

Sandy

Lynn1130

You don't need the "jounce" things if you keep 5 lbs of air pressure in them. My remote air system is set to 5 lbs and always keeps that amount in them when not aired up for travel. The Ultimate has the jounce and you do not need to keep air in the bags. I have had this system for 6+ years without issues.

esscobra

had firestone on previous truck/trailer over 9 years no issues- current rig has airlift ultimate with jounce and onboard compressor and small remote- works great

mlpeloquin

Airlift air bags with jounce bumpers, Airlift remote and pump. If you do not have to remove your OEM jounced bumpers, then you do not need the airbags with the internal jounce bumpers. The air bags made a big difference, but adding the TrailAir Flexair king pin really took care of the rest.

CoveredWagon

You don't need the "jounce" things if you keep 5 lbs of air pressure in them. My remote air system is set to 5 lbs and always keeps that amount in them when not aired up for travel. The Ultimate has the jounce and you do not need to keep air in the bags. I have had this system for 6+ years without issues.

Lynn please don't take this as anything other than a simple statement. Not an argument just the option I chose. I chose not to install the remote system as the bags with the jounce bumpers were a lot less expensive, and less work to install the system with the on board pump. I also installed a singe point fill which makes filling very simple.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Lynn please don't take this as anything other than a simple statement. Not an argument just the option I chose. I chose not to install the remote system as the bags with the jounce bumpers were a lot less expensive, and less work to install the system with the on board pump. I also installed a singe point fill which makes filling very simple.
I have a question for you.
What do you do when you unhook your RV ? Do you leave the high pressure in the bags or do you let it out then refill it after you hook up again ?
I think that would be very inconvenient for me.
I love my self contained compressor system.

Jerrod

CoveredWagon

What do you do when you unhook your RV ? Do you leave the high pressure in the bags or do you let it out then refill it after you hook up again ?

Jerrod

i just let it out and refill when it's time to move on. I don't find it to be a big issue. Just the way I chose to do it. We are not full timers.

mlpeloquin

Jerrod

I lower the front jacks till they touch the ground. Press my remote to change the pressure to 10psi. Once that has been done I finish lowering the jacks till the king pin starts to clear the hitch. Release the hitch. If you do not do this in this order, the front jacks really have to be lowered a lot for the kingpin to clear the hitch and be released.

Lynn1130

I don't and didn't. I already had the pump from the 04 Duramax and moved it over to the 14. Prior to putting the pump on I had a single point fill on the 04. Worked well but I got lazy, and wanted to be able to deflate and inflate between tows without doing it manually. The pump is auto for the 5 lbs and inflates as necessary.

To answer the question of what to do in between tows. I let the air out and reinflated prior to the next tow. It was just way to harsh a ride with it set at 55 lbs in the rear.

'Lil Guy'

I'm in Jacksonville, Texas. If anyone needs a like new set of airlifts for their ram 2500. They are off of my 2014 ram 2500. I have a set you can have if you PM me.