Generator compartment mildew

I have noticed the generator compartment has all kinds of mildew in it, seems to be either leaking or just from humidity. Anyone else have this issue?

Last edited by a moderator:

porthole

Retired
On the side compartments, do you have recessed storage areas?

Take all the stuff out and see if the carpet on the bottom is damp

There is OSB under the carpet and because the Toy haulers have a J-wrap that goes to the frame, water collects in the void and soaks the OSB, which then never dries out, eventually leading to mold and mildew.

Take a look at this and post and the post right after it.

The front left storage area is a metal pan with insulated sound wrap, it does not seem to breathe when closed. I can try the dam idea, was also thinking about cutting vents into the door

porthole

Retired
The front left storage area is a metal pan with insulated sound wrap, it does not seem to breathe when closed. I can try the dam idea, was also thinking about cutting vents into the door

Have a picture of the area ?

You shouldn't need to cut vents in your door.

Have a picture of the area ?

You shouldn't need to cut vents in your door.

d250596cac5bc79c3f84ae02ed2bac26.jpg

2a3d4dd64684b0488a06eafd8a0aec03.jpg

6429fff65398c4af0229cd0016152096.jpg
5190fce23087dda86319b6c54ee9d25e.jpg

porthole

Retired
This is a travel trailer, not a 5th wheel correct?

If so, what I found on mine may not be applicable.

But what I have found at least with the 5th wheel TH's is, water - probably from the road gets up above the J wrap, which on the 5th wheel toy haulers goes all the way to the frame and the edge is then siliconed to the frame web.
Above the J wrap is OSB, which is the base for our toolbox section or basement floor.

The OSB is carpeted and between the carpet and wood it is like a sponge that has no airflow, so it never dries out.
I would look for the water intrusion before cutting any vents. I really don't think you can cut a vent big enough to get the air flow you need.