Three failed trips due to severe trailer problems...Is this Common?

aandrews

We bought our NEW 2018 Mallard M26 about six weeks ago. On our first trip, the trailer brake system was engaged the entire trip and we ended up broken down on the side of Interstate 75. A manager at a local KOA came out to tow us to his campground since Good Sam's wouldn't take us(error on their part, later apologized). Camping World did tow the trailer back home and replaced the entire brake system. In the shop for two weeks. Trip 2... Camping World did not tighten the brakes enough so we burned out the brakes again. Another week in the shop. At the same time we realized that our Tahoe was not able to tow this trailer as told by the dealer.The dealer gave us a wrong weight limit. They suggested getting a smaller trailer and losing some money. We did still love the trailer and decided to purchase a new truck. We just picked up our trailer from storage for Trip #3. The trailer is completely flooded, mold everywhere, walls buckled...apparently the slide leaked from the last two weeks of rain we had.I called Camping World and they are coming to pick it up tomorrow. Another cancelled reservation and missed vacation. They said they could have our trailer for up to 12 weeks.
My question is what should we do? We have another vacation planned in two weeks. Is this common? I am so stressed but I need some help in how to deal with this problem.
We bought our trailer to use this summer, not for it to be in the shop:(

danemayer

Hi aandrews,

From your description of the recurring brake problems, I don't think the cause has been found. Maybe someone else knows better, but I can't think of how "not tightening the brakes" could cause them to burn out. It sounds more like the emergency breakaway circuit is active and the brakes are energized all the time, causing them to burn up. Or maybe some other malfunction causing the brakes to be activated while towing.

Also, if the brakes were engaged all the time, things must have gotten very hot and may have damaged the bearings. They need to be inspected for heat damage. If you tow on damaged bearings, they can fail, falling apart, which will lead to a very severe problem.

So, I think you have one problem with the brakes and it's not clear from your description that it's really been fixed yet.

Slide leak? Ouch. If everything is soaked and things are warped, that must have been quite a leak. You need to be very certain that it's fixed correctly. The 12 week estimate may be in part the delivery time on parts. You can call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. They may be able to help by working with the dealer to expedite parts delivery.

aandrews

Do you think it is possible to replace all the damage due to the flooding? Is it possible to get all the mold out? So much of the wood is warped. They will need to replace a majority of the cabinets, furniture, walls, and flooring. I feel this shouldn't be happening to a brand new trailer. Even if we wait 3 months for this work to be done I don't think we will ever feel good about the safety of this trailer.

Hi aandrews,

From your description of the recurring brake problems, I don't think the cause has been found. Maybe someone else knows better, but I can't think of how "not tightening the brakes" could cause them to burn out. It sounds more like the emergency breakaway circuit is active and the brakes are energized all the time, causing them to burn up. Or maybe some other malfunction causing the brakes to be activated while towing.

Also, if the brakes were engaged all the time, things must have gotten very hot and may have damaged the bearings. They need to be inspected for heat damage. If you tow on damaged bearings, they can fail, falling apart, which will lead to a very severe problem.

So, I think you have one problem with the brakes and it's not clear from your description that it's really been fixed yet.

Slide leak? Ouch. If everything is soaked and things are warped, that must have been quite a leak. You need to be very certain that it's fixed correctly. The 12 week estimate may be in part the delivery time on parts. You can call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. They may be able to help by working with the dealer to expedite parts delivery.

danemayer

Do you think it is possible to replace all the damage due to the flooding? Is it possible to get all the mold out? So much of the wood is warped. They will need to replace a majority of the cabinets, furniture, walls, and flooring.

I'm having a hard time visualizing how any slide leak could be bad enough to cause the damage you're describing in the space of 2 weeks. Has the dealer found and inspected the leak and confirmed it as the source of this massive water leak?

RoadJunkie

Check with your insurance. Since the leak damage is as bad as you described, they may total the trailer.

Oregon_Camper

Check with your insurance. Since the leak damage is as bad as you described, they may total the trailer.

They have only owned the RV 6 weeks...3 of which it was in the dealer for service.

Camping World would be getting a letter ... asking for a 100% refund. I would then find a completely new dealer.

olcoon

Sorry to hear about your problems, hope things get taken care of! Camping World (or camping worst) has struck again!!!