Use of electric heating element for water heater - need advice.

ddfarms

Our 3580RL has a third tank of fresh water. If we turn on electricity, is that enough for the hot water heater not to burn up a heating element? Is there a switch we have to turn on for the hot water heater to come on elect or does it come on automatically with electric.??New trainee

jnbhobe

Make sure you turn on the pump to make sure the water tank is full if you have not been hooked up to city water.

ChopperBill

On ours there is a "pinned" switch in the water heater compartment that has to be un-pinned and flipped on in order for the electric switch in the coach to work. Almost have to do it on purpose to make the electric work.

dmille3

on the water heater it self there is as small electrical switch (usualy black)it has to be turned on i leave mine on all the time and use the red lighted switch to turn it on and off i always make sure the water heater is full of water before turning it on bleed all the air out of it

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The main thing to do is to be sure the water heater is full of water prior to turning on the electric switch. It only takes a few seconds to burn up the heating element if you turn in on when the heater is empty. Be sure to turn on the hot water faucet to be certain the heater has water in it prior to turning on the switch....

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
That little switch sure has saved me some money. 90 days on two tanks of propane...and it's still 3/4 full!:)

phranc

ddfarms...As several have said and just to make the point solid.. It's your water heater tank that needs to be full. Not the fresh water storage tank..

" Our 3580RL has a third tank of fresh water. If we turn on electricity, is that enough for the hot water heater not to burn up a heating element"

Dusty

Gas operation

I have a 2006 Bighorn and I have never got it to run the hot water on gas. I procrastinated until it was out of warranty so it still doesn't work on gas. Maybe I just don't know how to work it.