GoPower Reivew

WyoCyclone

We recently purchased a RW 425 that we absolutely love! The only drawback at the time of purchase was the residential fridge, I liked the space however, as we boondock a fair amount I have been stressing about how to keep the batteries powered up without running the Generator non-stop. I've done quite a bit of research on here and have had the help of a few on here so thanks.

So here is my review and I'll continue to add to this as I didn't see too many posts that have my general set up and needs/wants. First of all price was a huge consideration as we all know you can dump a ton of money into solar and be perfectly fine with a residential fridge when off the grid, however, after purchasing a brand new rig, we were not in the place to drop another couple grand on a solar set up. With that thought in mind I purchased the Go Power 120W portable system to see how it would work. I visited with the kind folks at Go Power and they let me know that that system would NOT keep up with the fridge, something I already knew, but he thought I would be wasting my money. I had already planned to be careful with how often the fridge was on and just limit the time we open the fridge and just stare at the shelves wishing there was more beer in there.

We have 2 Deep Cell batteries and based on our first time out they could barely power the fridge for more than 6 hours and they were almost dead so I wasn't very confident the 120W system would be much help, but I decided I'd try it anyway and monitor things. I hooked up the system yesterday afternoon after getting it; I kept the fridge on and had a few lights on in the camper to simulate use. After an hour the batteries were down to 90% so I shut off the fridge for about 2.5 hours. The batteries were back up to 100% by evening. For the night, I left the fridge on and then early this morning, about 6:30 I checked everything out. My batteries were down to 67% so I got the solar panels back out and shut off the fridge. The fridge has been off for about four hours now but the doors have remained closed so I'm hoping that everything is still pretty cold, I'm sure it will be. When I get back to the house I'll report the battery charge as well. I'll keep you posted as I go forward.

redevil

*following*

I'm undecided as well with a portable solar setup or permanent setup as I was thinking of going with a generator to power the AC when camping. Most of the sites are non-powered so weekend camping is fine so far. Upcoming trip will be 6 days non-powered longest we have gone is a 2 days with 2 6v batteries still showing full by the end of the day. I don't have a residential fridge on my TT so just running regular LED lights, water pump, furnace fan.

Cost wise $635 CAD, versus a 3100w inverter generator $800 CAD. So undecided.

GP-PSK-120 120-Watt Portable Folding Solar Kit with 10 Amp Solar Controller

Firman W03081 3,300W Gasoline Powered Inverter

esscobra

thanks for info-please let us know how it charges next few times- was thinking of that kit as use for keeping batteries topped of when away for a few hours and not leaving generator on- its 103 here and 112 indes with humidity oin lower texas- so when back at trailer gen and a/c are on - at least until I decide how/where to mount larger battery bank and put panels on roof-

WyoCyclone

Well, I left the fridge off for about 6 hours today. Nothing in there but some bottled water and fruit that really doesn't need refrigerated. The temp in the fridge with no one opening it was around 47 degrees so about 7-8 degrees warmer than were it should be. The batteries showed 90% but I'm not sure how accurate the last 10% is as I looked yesterday and it was at 90 and then shot to 100 in a couple of minutes. Regardless I turned the fridge on to the super cold setting and in a little over an hour I still had 90% battery and fridge was at 38 set to 35 so a few more degrees to drop. So far I'm very impressed. Been an off and on cloudy day but very cool temps, low 70's here today.

If you did not have a residential fridge and looking to just power batteries this would more than suite ones needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oregon_Camper

We have 2 Deep Cell batteries and based on our first time out they could barely power the fridge for more than 6 hours and they were almost dead....

What is your total amp hours on those batteries? As a reference, I think I have 310 in my 2x Trojan batteries.

One more thing you can try is to validate the amps the refrigerator is using by using a device like this. You can see total amps being used...then some math will tell you if the solar panel can add that back. If not, perhaps a 3rd battery or larger solar configuration.

Link to Amazon

81GsChtGgXL._SL1500_.jpg

WyoCyclone

Not sure on the amp hours on the batteries. They're a no-name cheap deep cycle batteries. I like the idea of checking my amps and I might be able to barrow one and check it.

On another note, the fridge has run all day and when I left I had 90% on my batteries and the inside temp of the fridge was 33 degrees. Now, it has been a very cool day with temps in the high 60's but, however, so far I'm very pleased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oregon_Camper

Not sure on the amp hours on the batteries. They're a no-name cheap deep cycle batteries. I like the idea of checking my amps and I might be able to barrow one and check it.

On another note, the fridge has run all day and when I left I had 90% on my batteries and the inside temp of the fridge was 33 degrees. Now, it has been a very cool day with temps in the high 60's but, however, so far I'm very pleased.

Great....

If you can't borrow one, they are only $25 and then you get to use it for other stuff. :) Like SHOWING you darn kids how much $$ they are wasting by not turning off lights..Errrrrr :mad:

WyoCyclone

Great....

If you can't borrow one, they are only $25 and then you get to use it for other stuff. :) Like SHOWING you darn kids how much $$ they are wasting by not turning off lights..Errrrrr :mad:

Right??? My basement is lit up like a Roman bridge every time we come home. Kills me!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Great....

On another note, huge thanks to Oregon Camper for his advice on this solar adevture. He knows what he is talking about!!

WyoCyclone

So I added a third deep cell battery to the mix. I had a newer one from my old trailer, I topped off the water and charged it and wired it in. We will be leaving for a four day boondocking trip next week so I'll let you all know how everything performs.

mlpeloquin

Right??? My basement is lit up like a Roman bridge every time we come home. Kills me!!!

Get LED lights for your basement. My son would have every light, TV, computer, and stereo on in the house. When he got his first apartment, he invite us to dinner. He had to get something in his bedroom. On his way back he turned off each light. My jaw hit the floor. He look at me and said "I AM PAYING FOR THE BILL NOW!". So get led lights.

WyoCyclone

Spent 4 days boondocking and I could not be more impressed with this little set up. We were fairly conscious of opening the fridge and because of the circumstances of the trip didn't have the fridge very full at all (which should help keep it colder) and shut it down at night. The solar power kept the 3 batteries almost fully charged every day. I turned the fridge on during the day and ran the gen for about an hour each morning and a bit in the evenings to run the AC so that helped but more than pleased with the GoPower set up.