BigHorn will not travel

bunnie1203

Back in April we purchased our BigHorn. Our plan from the beginning was to sit it at our lake place in montana. Your were all kind enough to answer some of our questions. After months of cleaning up our spot, cutting down some trees and building a deck, thought you might all want to see where it sits right now and probably will sit for the next five years.
Now-to figure out how much weight -snow load it can take. If any of you know what we can expect through the winter with 6 feet plus snow on top-please post. We plan on going up a few times a year to shovel snow off the top-but right now, well, we couldn't be happier. We call it the Bighorn bar and grill.
Diane
hopefully this link will work

http://gallery.me.com/artoutwest#100063

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
That looks very inviting. I know the roofs are strong on Heartland products but if I were in your shoes I would build a cover (carport type) over it to help protect it. Just put some treated posts in the ground and then make a roof. It would also help protect it from falling limbs and sun.

bunnie1203

The furniture is home depot can withstand -93 degree weather. Its not wicker but it is a woven plastic fiber. We can leave it on the deck, cover with a tarp. The cushions all go under the BH storage in totes
I wanted hubby to see your response about the weight on the roof. He doesnt seem to think we would have a problem with the snow.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Hmmm. I think I could be pretty comfy with a site like that. Somewhere in the Arkansas hills maybe? It's the 6 feet of snow I don't think I could handle:D. Good Luck with your project too.

SmokeyBare

I sure do agree with Jim Gratz !

I'd do just as he suggested... I'd probably use metal roof material... sloping away from the deck if possible so when you arrived to check on your Site... you'd not find twice as much snow you'd need to shovel before getting inside your BigHorn. As Jim said, protecting the roof from flying branches or falling trees would be the best reason for the roof material over top... It would also protect the rubber roof material from tree sap and a build up of any leaves and pine needles.

Fantastic RV Site.... Enjoy your hard work.... you both deserve it !!

I would just make sure the fabricated roof would hold more than the RV roof.None

Here is a rough idea:
<table width="480" border="2"><tbody><tr><td width="240" align="left">Snow, freshly fallen</td><td width="100" align="Decimal"> 0.16</td><td width="100" align="Decimal"> 10
</td> </tr><tr><td width="240" align="left"> Snow, compacted</td><td width="100" align="Decimal"> 0.48</td><td width="100" align="Decimal"> 30 </td></tr></tbody></table>* first number is specific gravity, second number is pounds per cubic foot