Help with Fresh Water Fill

Joy & Jeff

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
We just purchased a 2009 Big Country and we were trying to sanitize the fresh water tank like the owner's manual tell us too. Why are we having so much trouble filling the tank? There doesn't seem to be any way to connect a hose to the fill port and if you hold it there you end up soaked. Our manual says that there is a way to fill with city water using the city water connection if we flip the switch but we can't find a switch. Are we just stupid or is there something we are missing. Please help.

PUG

Pug
I use a water bed filler tube. It is like an extension but narrowed down at the end. I would imagine a hose end sprayer, the kind you twist to change the spray and tapered at the end would do as well. You just put it in and turn it on.

truknutt

Committed Member
'mom,

You can use something like this type of filler or this second unit.

Speaking from experience, I had filler #1 and ended up losing the clear hose down in my tank; guess the summer heat expanded the vinyl. If you go this route, clamp or glue the tube on.

Look at the "Larger Photos" and you'll see that filler #2 also has a tube.

Hope this helps.

Donna

Fresh water tank fills very slow

We have a 2009 3300 Big Country. We too are having trouble filling the fresh water tank. We ended up filling with a piece of 1 inch hold and a funnel but we still could not get the water to go in very fast - about 1 gallon a minute - we were using gallon jugs because we were dry camping and a hose was not available. We are taking back to the dealing in a few weeks to see if the vent is plugged up or if there is an obstruction of some kind. We did trying filling it with a hose before we left and it would not fill.:confused:

crwdavis

Back pressure in fresh tank

We also have an issue with back pressure in our freshwater tank. Our vent does not have any air coming out of it either, when the fresh water tank is 2/3 we have so much back pressure in it that the water will shoot out the fill spout a couple of feet.

jnbhobe

The real way to fix it is to reroute the vent lines so they do not lay below the top of the water tank. Some people have luck just blowing the water out of the vent line good luck Jon :):)

chrizg

I have the same issue. To get it to fill I have to hold the hose TIGHT on the hole once it gets to the point where it tries to come back out. During fill up when it goes in ok I run inside and turn the pump on (once enough is in the tank the pump doesn't run dry). Once it acts like its full I run water using the outside shower while holding the hose TIGHT to the hole, after a bit water will SHOOT out of the vent tube and it will begin to fill normally also pushing air out. I can hear the air coming out of the vent tube. I have a task to take the side wall out of the basement storage to look at the vent tube. I suspect the vent tube hangs lower than the top of the tank letting standing water into the tube.

I don't know if running the pump to get a little water out helps but it seems to.

If the vent tube is blocked the air being pushed out of the tank when you fill it has no where to go.

The linked fillers will not help as this is a vent tube problem. The tank is pressurized due to the vent tube having water in it and that makes it act like its full after filling for like 4-5 minutes.

Netem

Before filling try taking a small hose and hold it tight to the vent opening and blow the water back into the tank this should let it breath when you start filling. If you over fill the tank this sends water into the vent hose and if you have a low place the water lays in there blocking the air next time you try to fill it.

Joy & Jeff

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
Thanks!

Thanks to all your responses. We'll try several of them until we get it right.

We had our first trip this past week in our Big Country. Now we can't wait to retire and do it full time.