What are your preferences for a towing vehicle?

lelier

We are fairly new to RV'ing as really new! We have a 2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and a 2017 Mallard M27... The truck pulls the trailer well until we start driving in the foothills and mountains in north Georgia and higher elevations. So, we are now looking into buying a bigger truck. This is no surprise to us as we pretty much knew we would be doing this. *G*

As for our question... what do you "like" to pull an RV with? We know we need to upgrade from the 1500...

What do you like? Chevrolet? Dodge? Ford?

AND Gas or Diesel ???

If you don't mind tell us why?

We appreciate any and all input... we have talked to a lot of people, but would like to hear more!

THANK YOU!

Lisa and Mark

jimtoo

Hi lelier,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M
Thread moved to better area.

rmn72

We started out pulling our fiver with a 1998 Dodge 2500 gasser. It felt like it was working too hard. We found a 1999 F350 dually last year and we wouldn't pull with anything less now.

Last edited:

jleavitt11

retired Utah Chapter Leaders
As for Ford, Chev or Dodge that is just a personal preference. I think they are all pretty good. I would say what ever you do if your going to be towing buy a diesel!

tessa

I would also think long term- are you going to get a bigger camper in the next few years?
when I went from a 1500 to a 2500 gasser I should've gone to a diesel because I knew we would end up with a fifth wheel down the road (LOL)

danemayer

Gas engines can do the job, but because they develop maximum horsepower at high RPMs, they'll scream at you when towing in the mountains. Also, the mpg can be poor when towing.

Diesel engines develop maximum horsepower at lower RPMs and will likely get you better mpg. A diesel will also set you up for the next trailer. They cost a lot more, but last longer and have good resale value.

davebennington

We are fairly new to RV'ing as really new! We have a 2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and a 2017 Mallard M27... The truck pulls the trailer well until we start driving in the foothills and mountains in north Georgia and higher elevations. So, we are now looking into buying a bigger truck. This is no surprise to us as we pretty much knew we would be doing this. *G*

As for our question... what do you "like" to pull an RV with? We know we need to upgrade from the 1500...

What do you like? Chevrolet? Dodge? Ford?

AND Gas or Diesel ???

If you don't mind tell us why?

We appreciate any and all input... we have talked to a lot of people, but would like to hear more!

THANK YOU!

Lisa and Mark
Dodge
Diesel
Why use 8 when you can get the same or better results with 6

dave

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Dodge, Ford or GM with a diesel engine, 4 door with a long bed is the baseline. All three are good trucks. I would recommend driving each one, see which one fits you best and then make your best deal on that one. We love our Ram.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Check out www.rvtowcheck.com and make sure you do the math. Make sure what you buy will tow what you want it to tow... think about the future. If you think you'll upgrade to a 5ver, get more truck than you need, now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
For pulling your Mallard a 250/2500HD will not only be more than enough . . . but overkill!

But that is what you want!

Overkill is what we were after when we stepped up from a Dodge 1500 to a Chevy 2500HD for pulling our previous Heartland Trail Runner:

CheyenneMtnCO2014-IMG_2007.jpg Campout2012CampingWorld-PC270075.jpg

Truck&CamperAtGasStationSmall.jpg NewTruckTrailerLevel-IMG_20140918_130913251.jpg

Stopping is why we upgraded . . . all it takes is one white knuckle stop and upgrade it is!

Anyway, I wanted a gas engine as the Chevy was going to be my daily driver (not three years old yet and it has almost 60,000 miles on it), plus I wanted the 4.10 rear end.

And is it ever a trailer hauling beast!

It hauled our Trail Runner over Eisenhower Pass and I didn't even know that 7500 pound trailer was even there.

Had I known we were going to upgrade to a 5th-wheel so soon I'd probably had gotten a diesel, but when we were shopping for the 5'ver we made sure that it was within the towing specs of our 2500HD.

Our Prowler weighs in at just under 9900 pounds and the Chevy handles the Rocky Mountains and beyond with no problems.

ProwleratBlueMesa-P1010116.jpg ProwlerMonarchPass-P1010480.jpg

Power247

I was in the exact place 4 years ago that you guys are now. I went to my dealership looking to trade in my then current 1\2 ton on a newer model but with towing gears instead of the highway gears that my current truck had. After talking to my friend/salesman about what I was doing, he walked me straight to the HD section and showed me a diesel, now my current truck. Overkill for the 27' TT we had at the time but had room to grow.

As mentioned by several, don't buy a truck for this camper, buy for your next. Last year when we wanted to upgrade to a bigger TT we knew we already had plenty of truck. My next one will be a 350/3500 Single Rear Wheel short bed. I would only ever consider a long bed if getting a 5th wheel. The extra 2' of wheel base adds significantly to the turning radius and affects getting your camper into tight spaces.

Best of luck on your hunt!

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

dave10a

Diesel have the advantage when pulling heavy loads. They offer more torque, endurance and economy if maintained properly. Ford GM and Ram provide great truck, and depending on the model year one offer better advantage over the other. This year Ford F250/350 offer the best truck if you are looking for a new truck. Last year Ram offered the best. It is a very competitive world and the truck manufactures are always looking to be the best mouse trap. Ford should be in the best position to be competitive because most of their engineering is done "in-house" and should be able to react quicker toward customer and marketing needs. If you buy and older diesel truck that is out of warranty, consider an EGR, DPF and DEF delete kits with a good tuner. That will provide even longer life and economy.

Gaffer

Once you tow with a diesel, you will never go back to gas. The big 3 all have plenty of power but if you tend to keep your vehicles for a long time, go with the Cummins. They have a lot fewer moving parts and last forever.

dave10a

It should be noted thay 4, 6, 8, and 10 cylender engines have simular reliability ratings. Gasoline engines do not have the durability of diesel because they run hotter. Thems the facts :eek:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Diesels you have to refi the house when you have to pay for a repair . . . :p

At least with a gas engine you only need to take out a small second mortgage . . . :eek:

He really doesn't need a diesel to pull that Mallard. :rolleyes:

coram8

One more piece to think about. The transmission. My opinion is that any one of the big three have the engine to do the job, Powerstroke, Cummings, or Duramax. The reason my current 2015 and my previous 2014 were both a GM with the Duramax is because of the Allison matched up to it.
Good luck in your research and selection.

SNOKING

As someone else pointed out, buy the truck for the next or the one after that trailer. l would not stop at the 250/2500 off ramp. I would go straight to a Single Rear Wheel(SRW) 350/3500. If getting the RAM opt for the optional Aisin HD tranny. All three have come a long way now that 2017 is here and Ford put a better frame under their trucks. Ford has a great transmission with the torque shift. Their Bosch high pressure injection pump has a troubled past. GM moved to a Japanese pump and RAM still uses the older CP3 Bosch pump that is more reliable.

Kbvols

As most are saying go with a diesel. When we had our first TT I traded an almost brand new Toyota 4 runner for a 1500 truck thinking it would be fine. It pulled fine in the flat areas where I live in Ohio but our first trip to TN it seemed the truck was "screaming" all the time in the hills. Going 35 mph up Jelico hill with a screaming motor was it for me. I broke down and bought a diesel a few months later and never regretted it. The next trip up Jelico pulling the TT 60 mph and engine was barely working.

I agree with others get a 350/3500 vs a 250/2500. When I upgraded dealers tried to talk me into getting another 2500 as they are more plentiful. The 2500 was fine for the trailer I had at the time however I knew at some point we would upgrade. We upgraded coaches this year and so glad I stuck with getting a 3500. We had the rig weighed at Goshen and are well within limits. We would have been over weight with a 2500.

Think long term...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk