Poll - Feedback Wanted on Big Windows Vs. Cabinets in The Elite

Do you prefer large windows or set of cabinets?

• Large Windows across entire slide

Votes: 19 42.2%
  • Large window over dinette and cabinet over living area with smaller window

Votes: 26 57.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ALF

Former Georgia Chapter Leaders
Hi All

We are looking for opinions on whether you prefer the large windows as in the BH Elites (7" slide) or if you prefer to have at least one set of cabinets (shown here as in the Big Country with short slide) in the living area instead of the large window.
phoca_thumb_l_2016 BH 3760EL 03.jpgphoca_thumb_l_2016 BC 3650RL 03.jpg
We are looking to order a new one but are not a fan of the large windows! They look great but don't like the idea of the heat gain and the cabinet loss.

Last edited:

Kbvols

We just bought a 3575el. When you have a great view the big windows are awesome.

For us the 2 blankets we stored in the cabinets of our prior coach was not a big deal to move to the rear cabinets. We ordered with the slide awning which helps reduce the heat issue.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
When we had our Bighorns, they had the storage cabinets. At the time, we were chapter leaders and working and we used the cabinets to store rally materials (paper plates, dinnerware, bowls, etc) and came in very handy as the cabinets were lower for my height-challenged wife. We found the cabinets to be very useful. My wife uses the table for her "work space" and says that she doe not need the taller window and would prefer all smaller windows and cabinets all the way across the space.

A couple of years later, I had a chance to have a chat with Tom M. who was the Landmark brand manager at the time. He said that he thought that more people wanted the taller glass. I think he missed the point of having as much storage as possible in the given space of a fifth wheel trailer.

Paradise2

Hi All

We are looking for opinions on whether you prefer the large windows as in the BH Elites or if you prefer to have at least one set of cabinets (shown here as in the Big Country) in the living area instead of the large window.
View attachment 52892View attachment 52891
We are looking to order a new one but are not a fan of the large windows! They look great but don't like the idea of the heat gain and the cabinet loss.

Prefer the big windows...just bought the 3575el and love the windows...plenty of cabinet space above the couch. Nice to have all the light in and you sit up high....nice views out....

ALF

Appreciate any and all feedback! We really want to stay in a Big Horn and like the BH3760 floorplan, but don't know if we will have enough cabinet space if we lose both sets of cabinets on that slide. We agree that the view from the large windows can be very nice but many times our view is of the RV parked next to us. Please let us know if you are noticing more of a heat gain from the windows. Are you able to keep the awning out all the time?

- - - Updated - - -

When we had our Bighorns, they had the storage cabinets. At the time, we were chapter leaders and working and we used the cabinets to store rally materials (paper plates, dinnerware, bowls, etc) and came in very handy as the cabinets were lower for my height-challenged wife. We found the cabinets to be very useful. My wife uses the table for her "work space" and says that she doe not need the taller window and would prefer all smaller windows and cabinets all the way across the space.

A couple of years later, I had a chance to have a chat with Tom M. who was the Landmark brand manager at the time. He said that he thought that more people wanted the taller glass. I think he missed the point of having as much storage as possible in the given space of a fifth wheel trailer.

Thanks for the feedback Jay! My wife is a bit height challenged as well. We have cabinets all across the slide now and they are full...not sure where we would put everything. We still have things in totes in our house from the loss of storage from our 2010 to our 2015.

Paradise2

Appreciate any and all feedback! We really want to stay in a Big Horn and like the BH3760 floorplan, but don't know if we will have enough cabinet space if we lose both sets of cabinets on that slide. We agree that the view from the large windows can be very nice but many times our view is of the RV parked next to us. Please let us know if you are noticing more of a heat gain from the windows. Are you able to keep the awning out all the time?

For us the big windows make it feel so much more open and more like a home. There is also storage behind the couch....Haven't spent the summer in it yet and being from AZ that will be a true test. Did Nascar in March and it was in the high 90's - never turned on AC and didn't notice heat from the window. Some are putting an extra tint on theirs....saw it in a post here...think it was llumar...gonna check on it. For us gonna be full timers and didn't want a closed up feeling...the big windows sold it for us.

Good luck....

Lynette

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I prefer the windows myself. We forget what we have in those cabinets and none of them are full. We are also full timers and we have plenty of storage currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrazyKampers

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have a 3160 EL and love the big windows. We do not full time so there is no need for us to have extra storage. We also have double paned windows so when it's hot, we just keep the shades down. We've never had a problem keeping it cool but we also haven't been camping in super hot weather like AZ or FL yet. The big windows really open up our camper and give it a spacious feeling in the living area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Looks to me storage is the issue. I guess it depends on how you are using your coach.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

elwaller39

Evans & Lana
I guess Lana & I find a need for as much closet space as possible to store items in. Large windows are not the important to us. We spend alot of time outside the coach to enjoy mother nature and not looking out the window.

Oregon_Camper

One thing you might want to consider, beyond the cabinet storage is the actual height of the slide out on the EL series. The slide is 7 feet tall, which really adds to the general "openness" of the RV. We have the 3160EL and after going into models that do not have the taller slide, we really notice the difference.

You can see the difference in the two pictures you posted. Have you been inside both?

Garypowell

We rarely open the blinds. The view outside is of the rig next to us. We have 3010 RE with large rear window and I have it blocked with foam board to block the light behind the TV and heat considerations.

We we work on the road and our offices are set up inside.

Granted you park park on a mountain site by yourself.....get the windows.

CDN

B and B
The windows sold us on the 3575 EL. We camp in the forest with no neighbours mostly. The DW wanted to see the outside and we can with this.

Brian and Bette

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We turned away from the all glass slide, not so much because we need the storage as to "what's to view"? As it is, and has been, the shades are usually drawn on that side most of the time because of nothing to view but the neighbor.
So if you're parked in a seasonal site with a view, windows are awesome otherwise...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tessa

we really like our big windows- it was a selling point for me. we down sized quite a bit and really don't need the extra cabinet space- the windows are nice and makes the camper feel open

wehavefun

We have a 3760EL and live the big windows! My wife loves the view. We have plenty of storage space! No need for the cabinets above the dinette.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

ALF

One thing you might want to consider, beyond the cabinet storage is the actual height of the slide out on the EL series. The slide is 7 feet tall, which really adds to the general "openness" of the RV. We have the 3160EL and after going into models that do not have the taller slide, we really notice the difference.

You can see the difference in the two pictures you posted. Have you been inside both?

Yes, we have been inside one with windows and one with cabinets above the theater seating (Landmark). The 7 ft slide still has large windows giving you a nice view even when there is a cabinet above the theater seat. The photo above is not really a good example as it is from a short slide - we could not find a good pic of a 7 ft slide with the cabinet.

We appreciate your feedback.

- - - Updated - - -

We have a 3760EL and live the big windows! My wife loves the view. We have plenty of storage space! No need for the cabinets above the dinette.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

You have the same model that we are interested in.....any drawbacks you have found with this model?? We have a 3570 now with the same bathroom which we like! The bedroom seems great with a lot of storage. Reminds us of our 3385 we had.

Stickdog

We're looking a the BC3560ss to replace our present fulltiming 5er. Like the BC3560 kitchen but could use the storage over the theater sitting for dish ware. Good size pantry but we are often far from grocery stores and often a month before we load up. As far as the window behind the theater seating ours presently is equal in height as the dinette but not as low as the dinette window and we seldom open the blinds on it. I guess it all comes down to what will work for an individual. Even as nice as the BC3560 kitchen is I'll have to change the sink as DW hates SS sinks and wants a granite composit like she had in the S&Bs and I replaced the FRP sink in our present 5er with one.

terribruce

retired Oregon Chapter Leaders
We like the big windows. We have the 3010RE and wish we had more light. Always seems a bit dark. Love the windows, more light
and airy? :) I vote for the windows.

Terri