Safety Topic- Propane Leak

TxRoadWarrior362

I recommend adding this to your pre trip inspections:

Open all propane tank valves, and do a smell test in each compartment. Better yet, have a squirt bottle with a mixture of water and Dawn dishwashing soap. Squirt each hose and it's connections. Also squirt the regulators and transfer switch. Look for leaks via bubbles. Turn propane valves off if any leaks are present.

This sounds like common sense, but can get missed on pre trip check inspections.

We were made aware of a leak by campers in the spot next to us a couple weeks ago. It was a large leak and we had no idea. Could have been bad. I turned off the valves to both tanks and didn't use for the rest of the trip. I didn't have the spay bottle, but checked when home. The door side regulator was leaking from a metal seam. Waiting on a new one to come in.

The spay bottle and mixture will now go with us in the RW. This bottle/mixture can also help find the source of a slow leaking tire.

Stay Safe.

Tim

Nuclearcowboy

I recommend adding this to your pre trip inspections:

Open all propane tank valves, and do a smell test in each compartment. Better yet, have a squirt bottle with a mixture of water and Dawn dishwashing soap. Squirt each hose and it's connections. Also squirt the regulators and transfer switch. Look for leaks via bubbles. Turn propane valves off if any leaks are present.

This sounds like common sense, but can get missed on pre trip check inspections.

We were made aware of a leak by campers in the spot next to us a couple weeks ago. It was a large leak and we had no idea. Could have been bad. I turned off the valves to both tanks and didn't use for the rest of the trip. I didn't have the spay bottle, but checked when home. The door side regulator was leaking from a metal seam. Waiting on a new one to come in.

The spay bottle and mixture will now go with us in the RW. This bottle/mixture can also help find the source of a slow leaking tire.

Stay Safe.

Tim
Outstanding recommendation! No substitute for safety!!

wdk450

Tim and All:
The best leak check of a propane system is to get an inline propane pressure gauge you can put inline with your propane tank like this:
propane pressure gauge.jpg Turn on the tank valve, then turn the tank valve off. If there is a leak in the propane system the pressure reading will leak down.

I used this when a professional RV servicer assured me that there was NO PROPANE LEAK. This test showed that there WAS a leak in the system, very hard to find in a hidden fitting.