Do you tip a transport driver?

bangell

I paid $4000.00 to get my 2018 Torque 396 delivered to me here on the west coast. It's going to finally arrive on Friday after ordering it on March 6th. Is it customary to tip the transport driver?
Thanks.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I don't know what the custom is, but the way most transport drivers I've encountered on the road drive, he may have done more harm than good. I've seen many towing rigs in ways that are harmful: too fast, not level, with a vehicle that shouldn't be towing it.

I would ask him how many days on the road it took him, and if he had any issues along the trip.

I would then ask how fast he drove. I would ask if he checked the cold air pressure in the tires while on the way.

If he never checked air pressure, and Driving over 65mph, which is probably the max speed rating on your tires, he has degraded your tires before you even take delivery.

Check, is the rig level with his tow vehicle? If not, that also puts unneeded stress on axles, springs, tires, and wheel bearings.

Check the spare, does it look like it was used? If so he may have had a tire problem. If he drove on a low tire, he may have compromised the others. And how was the tire put on? Jacking under an axle can bend it.

Check for anything loose or broken inside and out. Many interstates have some rough parts, and taking them too fast can cause more harm.

Who is doing a walk though with you when you get your trailer, to explain how everything works? If it's the transport driver, that's probably not going to be very long. A good Pre-delivery inspection (you getting instruction, testing everything to make sure you know how it works and that it does work properly) should take 4-6 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

I think most transport drivers are delivering to dealerships and probably don't get a tip from the dealer.