Caulking on the outside trim

oldelmer1

I've noticed that all the caulking on the 1 inch trim that connects the fenders to the wall has failed.

Does anyone know if this caulk is really needed?

I have taken a piece off where the electric power cord reel is, and there is rope caulk under this 1 inch strip. Is that good enough? or should I put the caulk back?

Thanks,
Tom

oldelmer1

I went ahead and re-caulked it, but I am horrible at caulking. I seem to put too much on, then when I run my wet finger across it, it ends up everywhere.

Went onto youtube to see how to do it, well, no help for me.

so I taped it off, top and bottom, caulked, smeared with wet finger, pulled tape off and it looks PERFECT!!!

But, should I have to be redoing the caulk on a 1.5 year old camper already????

danemayer

I went ahead and re-caulked it, but I am horrible at caulking. I seem to put too much on, then when I run my wet finger across it, it ends up everywhere.

Went onto youtube to see how to do it, well, no help for me.

so I taped it off, top and bottom, caulked, smeared with wet finger, pulled tape off and it looks PERFECT!!!

But, should I have to be redoing the caulk on a 1.5 year old camper already????
Your manual probably says to check caulking and sealants either every 3 or 6 months and maintain as needed.

Also consider that sometimes people buy trailers that have been sitting on a dealer lot for quite a while without any maintenance.

Tree14

Ours is only 1 year old and I see the caulking wearing out or peeling. We plan on going full-time next spring so if it was there from the factory, I find that they don't do anything extra so I'm sure it's required

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk