Rv gps

george637

Since my new rig is 13'3" tall, I want to make sure to avoid low overpasses. Any recommendations for an RV GPS system where I can input my RV dimensions for appropriate routes?

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have a 5-inch Rand McNally RV GPS unit and like it, but plan on getting one with a bigger screen sometime in the near future and will probably stick with Rand McNally.

You can input all of your RV data, plus it has gobs of POI's, including a lot of RV stuff!

When our previous trailer broke down on the highway while passing through Phoenix, AZ a couple of years ago I used one of the POI apps to locate a repair shop.

MTPockets

I have a fairly new Garmin 7" RV760.. not used anymore. Done with RV'ing. Send PM if interested.

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I got Kenny the RV 760LM Garmin for Christmas and he loves it ! works better then the one in the truck!

olcoon

For my money you can't beat Garmin. They work great, great customer service, and free updates. I've had 3 for road navigation, and 2 for off road navigation. Back in our geocaching days everyone that had a SOB GPS, eventually got rid of them and went to Garmin.

fastcarsspeed

I am trying CoPilot. We have a 10" Android 4g Tablet that I we will use in the truck. I am testing the Truck version since it is a 14day free trial and if we like it we will purchase the RV Version.

george637

Thanks for all the info. I did some internet research based on your recommendations and decided to order the Garmin RV 660LMT. I got a great price of $249 through Walmart. (No taxes, free shipping). Should arrive in 7 days. I'll provide feedback once I get to use it.

chiefneon

Howdy!

We fulltime and I've been using Co-pilot gps app for years and it hasn't steered us wrong. I use the RV version now because our Cyclone 4000 is 13'4" and I can program that into the app. I use it on my iPad in our MDT towing the 5er love the large screen, and my smartphone when driving the Smart Car. Co-pilot worked great last year when we travel into the northeast which is known for low bridges. It kept us safe even though we traveled the back roads to avoided tollroads.

https://copilotgps.com/en-us/rv-navigation/

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Jackjohn271. Welcome to the best RV forum.
Depending on when you leave for your big trip in September, you might want to start if off by attending the MI Heartland Owners Rally in Traverse City starting 8/24/17 through 8/27/17.
So check out the Owners Club and Events tab in the navigation bar above.

Peace
Dave

george637

Howdy!

We fulltime and I've been using Co-pilot gps app for years and it hasn't steered us wrong. I use the RV version now because our Cyclone 4000 is 13'4" and I can program that into the app. I use it on my iPad in our MDT towing the 5er love the large screen, and my smartphone when driving the Smart Car. Co-pilot worked great last year when we travel into the northeast which is known for low bridges. It kept us safe even though we traveled the back roads to avoided tollroads.

https://copilotgps.com/en-us/rv-navigation/

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

Well, when the Garmin I ordered arrived today, I eagerly opened it up to see how it worked. Found it you have to connect it to your computer to register it and download software for it to work. My computer is older, and it doesn't have the required 8 GB of space available for the download. Sooo, I guess I'll try Co-pilot. If I get the app for my iPhone, will it also be available through the cloud on my iPad? Also, does it allow you to input the dimensions of your RV so that it can figure out the best route? Are there any other requirements that I should be aware of before I get the app? Thanks for your help.

danemayer

Well, when the Garmin I ordered arrived today, I eagerly opened it up to see how it worked. Found it you have to connect it to your computer to register it and download software for it to work. My computer is older, and it doesn't have the required 8 GB of space available for the download. Sooo, I guess I'll try Co-pilot. If I get the app for my iPhone, will it also be available through the cloud on my iPad? Also, does it allow you to input the dimensions of your RV so that it can figure out the best route? Are there any other requirements that I should be aware of before I get the app? Thanks for your help.
You need an iPad or other tablet with a GPS chip. That typically comes with the models that have cell data capability, but not with the WiFi only models.

mlpeloquin

Computers are cheep. Update that old computer and keep the Garmin. Add the Rout-1 USA clearance data file to it. Just install the clearance heights one inch above your fifth wheel.

http://www.lowclearances.com/versions.html

chiefneon

Howdy!

As mentioned your iPad will need to have gps capability which usually means its has data service not WiFi only. You will also need to purchase the RV app as it has the ability to enter the height of you RV over 13'. The standard or premium verision only lets you input the height of your RV up to 13'. Once you purchase the app you down load the map to your iPhone and iPap and your done, no data connection needed after that except for future updates which are free. Like any app you purchase you never have to purchase it again. I use the same app on four different devices and have purchased several new devices (phones, tablets etc...) no problems. You will need a data connection if you use the live traffic connection which I beleive they give you one year free when you purchase the app. We have unlimited data so that's a nice option.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

Last edited by a moderator:

kf5qby

I bought the Garmin RV770LMT recently. I really like it. It can use WIFI to register and update itself. You do not need a PC or Software to make it work.

You can still use your computer and the Garmin software for Trip planning then upload the routes and way-points if you want.

fastcarsspeed

Just was wondering how you like the CoPilot.

So we used CoPilot this past week down to Williamsburg VA. We really only needed it down there in the area as there are multiple roads where the beast will not go. My wife does not like the ladies voice and it does not tell you street or route number when speaking but is very clear with the display. It does route me a little odd one time coming home but again paying attention to the roads/signs and the gps and we were fine. Also the live traffic feature did route us around bad traffic which was nice. BTW this was the RV version which was not a bad deal as I hate having to have separate units. You could use an IPad that does not have cell signal but you would not get the live updates. Downloading the East Coast maps was quick and easy.