Defective (maybe dangerous) reading lights

BobTheBuilder

I searched all threads and did not find any mention of this problem.

Our reading lights throughout are the bell shaped with the rotating knob switch on top between the adjustable bracket arms. Last evening we read in bed longer than usual (maybe an hour). When I went to turn one off, it would not. The knob rotated around but the bulb stayed on. Finally I removed the bulb (using something to protect my fingers from the extreme heat). I then tried the other one and it would not turn off either and I had to do the same thing. This morning I have been in the living room chair with the same type fixture on for over 2 hours and just tried it, switch is fine. I then reinstalled the bulbs in the bedroom and they work fine.

I think I remember this happening on a fixture on my SOB several years ago. It appears the heat from the bulb is somehow causing the switch to malfunction. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there any danger or just an occasional inconvenience? Is there more heat build up because the bedroom lights don't have an open cabinet space above them? Are there cool LED bulbs to replace these little hot spot lights?

rhodies1

I searched all threads and did not find any mention of this problem.

Our reading lights throughout are the bell shaped with the rotating knob switch on top between the adjustable bracket arms. Last evening we read in bed longer than usual (maybe an hour). When I went to turn one off, it would not. The knob rotated around but the bulb stayed on. Finally I removed the bulb (using something to protect my fingers from the extreme heat). I then tried the other one and it would not turn off either and I had to do the same thing. This morning I have been in the living room chair with the same type fixture on for over 2 hours and just tried it, switch is fine. I then reinstalled the bulbs in the bedroom and they work fine.

I think I remember this happening on a fixture on my SOB several years ago. It appears the heat from the bulb is somehow causing the switch to malfunction. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there any danger or just an occasional inconvenience? Is there more heat build up because the bedroom lights don't have an open cabinet space above them? Are there cool LED bulbs to replace these little hot spot lights?

Yes there is an LED bulb to replace the originals,I replaced mine but can't remember the LED replacement bulb number,most RV stores will have them,or can order.

justafordguy

We replaced ours with LEDs. The original ones got super hot, they were the only non-LED bulbs in the trailer. :confused:

MTPockets

We replaced all of those with the knobs for flush mounted LED fixtures with rocker switch. The originals with knobs were inconvenient to use anyway.

'Lil Guy'

I just replaced my reading lights in BR with the bell shaped LED. Got them on Amazon. Just get the number off of your bulb and pull it up on
Amazon in LED.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I just replaced my reading lights in BR with the bell shaped LED. Got them on Amazon. Just get the number off of your bulb and pull it up on
Amazon in LED.

I replaced ours with LED's, along with every other light in the rig. For the two over the bed, I modified the bases and mounted switches on the wall near the windows so we would not have to climb up to operate the lamps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Westwind

Like JohnDar I installed surface wall switches that I got from Heartland Parts Department and hid the wires with plastic wire channel that I purchased at Home Depot. I would also replace the bulbs with LED's since they would be cooler. We both love the switches on either side of the bed and next to our recliners. We don't have to touch hot light fixtures. One of my best mods. If you look in the similar threads below you will see my post.

teasac69

M4Products.com has a wide selection of LED bulbs for every application on your coach. I bought enough to replace every incandescent bulb in my 2014 BH with LED. better by the dozen.

My reading lights were a serious problem because of how HOT they would get while I was reading and then burn your hand to turn them off. NOT so with LED.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
To give you an idea of the bedroom reading lamp modifications mentioned, here are some photos of mine. I searched for the parts on JR Products website and then found them retail on either Ebay or Amazon. The wooden parts to allow mounting the switches and accessing the wires for the lamps were made by me. The wife painted the plastic channel a light brown with acrylic paint.

The switches on the lamps were left in the on position and one wire was spliced and run down to the switch on the wall and back. There is an identical mounting on the opposite wall of the bed.

Attachments

• Reading Lamp 1.jpg
    Reading Lamp 1.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 27
  • Reading Lamp Switch.jpg
    Reading Lamp Switch.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 27
  • After Painting.jpg
    After Painting.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 28

BobTheBuilder

John--very nice work. I've looked at enough of your posts to know you are knowledgable and have made some nice mods. This is a good one because when you are ready to turn out the lights over the bed you are falling asleep and can't reach the light.