Opinion on Sundance 5th wheel

Tom Cobb

I am considering a Sundance 5th wheel and have been comparing to a Cougar and a couple of others. I would like to get your opinions on these rvs.

I have to stay less than 32 ft max and want at least 2 slides. I prefer the rear LR but will consider other floor plans. The 2800 is the one I like best as far as floor plan but it seems that none are available at the dealers within 400 miles of me. There are a lot of 2900's. The 2900 is not out the equation however.

Comments on the quality, value, etc. are greatly appreciated.

Tom Cobb

mike3fan

IMO you will not find a nicer 5er in the Sundance price range,most of the standard options are usually only found in the upscale fifth wheels.I walked thru alot of trailers before I was truly impressed,which is why I bought the 3200ES.

In a side by side comparison the Cougar,Wildwood and Jayco's that I looked at just don't come close in quality and workmanship.If you wanted to spend 50k there are nicer trailers,but not in the range of the Sundance.

jgailliot

We have a 2009 2900 MK and love it. Dollar for dollar it came with a lot more upgrades. We looked at several other brands including Montana, Grand Canyon and others. Found some we liked but most were almost twice what we paid for the Sundance. The workmanship is great and the dealer in Golden Valley really gave us a great deal.

zoozoo

We have the Sundance 3012RE and love it! I agree with the other posters, we looked alot of different brands, and for the money, you won't find a better quality RV.

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
I'll put our two cents in as while !! We also looked for some time but found the 2008 2900mk the best choice !!! Had other 5er owners look at it and were very shock when we told them the price !! We love are Sundance.

StevieWonder

I love the size of our 2800RLS. Two slides, one in the living room and one in the bedroom. GREAT storage and a very efficient layout. The only real disadvantage is the inability to put in a 2nd AC (something that might be different on the newer models), but we haven't been uncomfortable yet with use of fans to increase the circulation of the cool air.

Any model you choose will be one that you'll like with a substantial savings over the other manufacturers that you've mentioned.

Greselda

Hi Tom!

We love our Sundance, and it is one of the ultra lights....an XLT265RK 28.5' and it only weighs 6600#'s!!! I know that you mentioned the RL, and the XLT's have one of those too, so check them out.
We pull ours with a Ford :D(not too many snide comments from you GM guys;)) F250 V10 gasser, 4x4 Lariat crew cab and it pulls like a dream!

We looked for almost a year before deciding on the Heartland Sundance and one of the biggest reasons we chose the Heartland was the 88 degree turning radius......a huge plus for short bed trucks like ours!

All in all as others have said, you sure do get the craftsmanship and quality with the Sundance.....whichever one you choose, I am sure you will be more than pleased!!

Rick and Janine

dtomlinson

We have had our 08 Sundance 3200ES for almost a year and really love it. After having motorhomes for over 30 years, it was quite a change to go to a fifthwheel, but same size fifth gave us more room. We ordered the Eurolounge chairs and with the entertainment slide, makes a very nice living area. We wanted a unit less than 35' long and less than 12' high (to get in our storage building) and the 3200ES fit the bill and gave us a very liveable floorplan. The sharp turning radius works great with our shortbox Chev. Duramax PU.

I spent 43 years in the construction business, so have an eye for workmanship and quality, and for the money, nothing beats the Sundance. I am a happy and well satisfied owner!

proudowner

formely cannotdecide
We've had our sundance for a month and a half... Let me tell you I did alot of research and was torn between the sandpiper (by forest river) and the sundance... I've read on their forum about their 5ers and they seem to have the same issues as we all do. Nothing is ever perfect, but the way that Heartland stand behinds their name is bar none. We have had very minor issues and everything is covered under warranty so that makes it great. We also had looked at the cougar but are so glad we went with the sundance, everybody that walks into it loves it.:D:D:D

Netem

We have had the 2900 MK for almost a year and have been very satisfied Everybody that looks at it is impressed by what we got for the money. We have the leather uro chairs and when people sit in them they want to stay for awhile. The wife really likes the kitchen.

After weeks of homework, settled on one of two models; the Sandpiper or the Montana Mountaineer. When looking at one of these for the third time, with the intent of purchasing, noticed a Sundance parked close by that we had not looked at prior because if was much less cost, about 38% less in fact. Assumed it would be poor quality. One of my kids looked it over and talked us into looking at it. The bunks on the Sundance werre much wider than on the other two brands noted. We concluded there was no way the other two brands made up 38% difference in options or quality. We've owned the Sundance 08 3300BHS for 6 weeks now, been on three trips, and convinced we made the correct choice. We did upgrade matresses as I'd expect to in all makes/models. The rear bumper is light duty and the dealer beefed it up, no charge, so we could add a bike rack for 4 bikes. Electric legs blew a fuse, but my fault. Pulls great with an F250 diesel. The dealer even included the Reese fifth wheel hitch at no charge. Our first fifth wheel. Prior camper was a TT.
Happy part time campers here.

ptillett

I agree with a lot of the post above. We looked at a lot of 5vers and kept coming back to the sundance. You could find nicer, but not even close in price.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
We are new to Fifth Wheels, and searched through a lot of them before we made the purchase of a new Sundance 3200ES. Got it home last Wednesday and spent the rest of the week loading it and getting used to the room (had 27' TT) I must say that we love this one. If I had to do it again I would get the same thing that we bought. It is excellent. The towing behind the F250 is unbelieveable. Good luck.

Edd and Janet

We are going to change out our bulky recliners in our Sundance to a couple of Euro Recliners. Onewayfurniture.com thus far in my research, has the best price on a Palliser Euro Recliner. It would make a lot of sense to have the Heartland 5th Wheels come standard with the Euro's. Smaller and less weight.

jbeletti

Hi Berry and Janet,

You love Euro recliners and we prefer traditional recliners with a built in foot rest and full chaise. Other love their soft leather traditional recliners. Something for all of us :)

The reasons I prefer a traditional recliners are:
1. No foot stool "always" in the room for each recliner
2. With a full chaise, the dogs (Yorkies) have room to relax with us :)

That said, I love the look of Euros and I am sure the foot stools make handy guest seats when needed. Just saw the Euros in the rear of Neil and Sharon's (NETEM) Sundance. Went very well with their floor plan.

To each his own "standard". Happy camping.

Jim

Tom Cobb

I appreciate all the comments on the Sundance. They were helpful. Looking at one and standing in the bedroom in my 6' 2" body convinced me that the mid height 5th wheels won't work for me.

We did take the plunge though and bought a Big Country. We take delivery on Tue 9/30 at 1:00 PM. I am looking forward to it. After we looked at the BC there seemed to be no other direction. It was a choice of floor plans. We looked at the Cameo and some others like the Cougar and Salem but just wasn't wanting to go back in an entry level at this point.

There are some really good deals out there. The Cameo had $20K knocked off and some said for me to grab it. I thought it was just to plush for my taste. The wife was ready to do it because of the L shaped kitchen but I convinced her it was a little on the high price side even at the reduced price.

I like the BC because almost everything that is an option on other RV's is standard equipt and also it is very nice without the plush feeling.

The Cameo actually made me feel like I didn't want to touch anything and that I would not want to "camp" in it. I am a practical person and not into the plush stuff.

I am anxious to take a trip in the new rig. Thanks again and maybe we will see one another on the road somewhere.