Light In Kitchen

Don't know if this is feasible or not but after spending the past 3 1/2 months in our 2009 3055 Bighorn one thing that would be helpful is a skylight in the kitchen similar to the shower skylight. We boondock quite a bit and on cloudy days the kitchen work area tends to be pretty dark. I have installed battery lights and one 12v flourescent light but the natural light would be helpful. That skylight in the shower lets in a lot of light even on cloudy days. We absolutely love our Bighorn and wouldn't change very much. Does anyone know why this wouldn't work? Thanks Heartland for building such a great fifth wheel.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I don't see why not. *IF* there is room and there is nothing important running through the roof. That and a little framing and you should be good to go.

jbeletti

Hi Odie and Janice,

As Lefty points out, having room may be an issue with such a mod. In the kitchen/livingroom area, the AC ductwork runs down both sides of the attic within the roof trusses. If you want to add a skylight in the center of ceiling, that "may" work. There is a lot of wiring in the ceiling but anything that may go down the center can likely be moved aside.

back to the AC ductwork, as these ducts go forward in the coach, I believe the duct on the off-door-side in the 3055 does not go past the wall that separates the kitchen from the bedroom/bath area and the duct on door-side continues farther forward to provide ceiling vents for the air conditioning in the bedroom.

You will not be able to install a skylight off-center if there is AC ductwork in the way.

Best of luck.

Jim

BobSue

AC ductwork

Sorry to disagree Jim but I think you have it reversed.

In my '09 3055 the AC ductwork on door side goes forward to the toilet room. There it deadends at the fan opening.

On the off-door side the ductwork goes forward to the two outlets in the bedroom area. It is dead ended forward of that, above the closet.

The only place I can think of to put a sky light is directly forward of the AC unit. I don't know what wires would be there or what is on the roof there, but AC ducts are in the way any place else.

jbeletti

Bob and Sue,

I have to agree with you on this. The ductwork is actually not all the way to the sides of the roof. This must be how we squeeze in the skylight. Same on my Pinehurst. Should have thought it through a bit more. I have ceiling vents past the shower skylight on the same side. Doh!

Thanks for catching my error.

Jim

BobSue

No problem.

Only reason I know is because I spent a few hours a week ago sealing up all my ductwork. Trying to squeeze the last bit out of AC unit. It is just marginal in this Texas August!!!:cool:

That's what makes this forum so great. Someone somewhere has looked at every thing that comes up and is willing to jump in with knowledge.

I know I have learned a bunch from you and many others.

Keep it coming!