Jensen JWM9A Power Cycling

piet10

I have a 2017 Bighorn 3160 with the Jensen JWM9A media center. It works great, except when the coach battery reaches 12.7 volts the radio power cycles every 2seconds. I have a 0.7 volt drop from the battery to the radio, which means the radio acts up at 12.0 volts. The specs on that unit say it will work down to 10.6 volts.

The dealer replaced the radio under warranty, but it still acts exactly the same. Any other ideas?

I've thought about a bigger wire to lessen the volt drop, but that's a pain to run that far. I've also thought about putting a 12 volt battery with an isolating diode near the radio, but I shouldn't have to do that with a brand new coach.

Any other ideas or thoughts?

Thanks,
Al

56elaine

I have a 2017 Bighorn 3160 with the Jensen JWM9A media center. It works great, except when the coach battery reaches 12.7 volts the radio power cycles every 2seconds. I have a 0.7 volt drop from the battery to the radio, which means the radio acts up at 12.0 volts. The specs on that unit say it will work down to 10.6 volts.

The dealer replaced the radio under warranty, but it still acts exactly the same. Any other ideas?

I've thought about a bigger wire to lessen the volt drop, but that's a pain to run that far. I've also thought about putting a 12 volt battery with an isolating diode near the radio, but I shouldn't have to do that with a brand new coach.

Any other ideas or thoughts?

Thanks,
Al

I have been having the same issue with my JWM9A in My Big Horn 3270. Have had the unit changed out... New unit did the same. Mine also starts at 12 Volts. Have you came up with any fix?

Last edited by a moderator:

Short-Bed-Dually

I am thinking about adding a 120 volt to 12 volt transformer on the power side of the JWM9A.
There is a open 120 volt receptacle in the cabinet.

BigFry

I am curious if anyone discovered a solution to this problem. I even sent my unit to Jenson and they insisted that it was working correctly.

danemayer

I'd suggest checking out the quality of the ground wire connections from the radio back to the ground bus in the fuse box.

CDN

B and B
The power lead and ground go back to the power distribution. I had the problem in my Bighorn. There just happened to be a spare circuit. Doubled up the wire and it worked fine.

I have the same voltage drop issue with my tilting bed in my landmark. I am going to run some # 10 AWG to main distribution by the battery.

Kilroy

The power lead and ground go back to the power distribution. I had the problem in my Bighorn. There just happened to be a spare circuit. Doubled up the wire and it worked fine.

I have the same voltage drop issue with my tilting bed in my landmark. I am going to run some # 10 AWG to main distribution by the battery.
If possible, can you expand upon this? Can you tell us others how you traced the ground and power lines to the spare circuit board spot and fixed the issue. I'm a definite novice on electronics and can't make the leap from step 1 to step... without good details to guide me.

Clearly, I too have had the Jensen cut on/off issue. And, I also suspect that too much power going to my subwoofer is causing a fault to shutdown the radio at the higher volumes.