tow vehicle question

bkc19922

Can anyone tell me if i can tow the mallard 302 or 325 with my dodge ram. I have a 2015 ram 1500, 5.7 hemi with 3.93 rear end. I have the six speed transmission and tow package. I am considering buying one of the models and they both fall under my recommended max tow weight. However i want to be safe, and not be "that guy." Also can you tell me what you tow with if you own one of the listed camper models. Thanks all.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to this great forum. Lots of great information here shared by a lot of great helpful people.
Be sure to look at the nav bar above and check out the Owners Club as well as the Events tab.

I suggest you check out 5th Wheel St. There is lots of good towing guidelines there.

Peace
Dave

avvidclif

Can anyone tell me if i can tow the mallard 302 or 325 with my dodge ram. I have a 2015 ram 1500, 5.7 hemi with 3.93 rear end. I have the six speed transmission and tow package. I am considering buying one of the models and they both fall under my recommended max tow weight. However i want to be safe, and not be "that guy." Also can you tell me what you tow with if you own one of the listed camper models. Thanks all.

DO not use the dry weight. Use the GVWR of the trailer when calculating.

kf5qby

I think the limiting factor is going to be the tongue weight of the trailer.

Depending on the model the payload capacity of the Ram 1500 is somewhere from 1590 to 1620 lbs. for a 4x2. The 4x4 is lower.
The Mallard 302 has a published hitch weight of 788 lbs.
The Mallard 325 has a published hitch weight of 574 lbs. (that seems low for the weight of the trailer)

Make sure when you add in all the the weight (trailer tongue weight, passengers, cooler, pets etc.) that will be in the truck you don't exceed the payload rating on the truck. You will need a weight distribution hitch and possibly sway control.

Otherwise I think the truck should tow either fine.