Do we pull into weigh stations?

Miltp920

I am towing a fifth wheel with a dually, and my GCVW is over 26,000 lbs. I am a private owner. I have not pulled into any weigh stations and I have never been pulled over for passing by.

Has anyone been pulled over and told they were in violation or not stopping?

Has anyone stopped at a weigh station and been told they should not have stopped?

Who stops and who does not?

danemayer

I've never stopped and never been pulled over. My understanding is that weigh stations are for commercial vehicles.

I do recall once seeing that there was a gulf coast state that required personally owned RVs to stop at weigh stations. But I don't recall where I saw that info and can't speak to its accuracy. I'm sure some of our gulf coast residents know.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I've never stopped and never been pulled over. My understanding is that weigh stations are for commercial vehicles.

I do recall once seeing that there was a gulf coast state that required personally owned RVs to stop at weigh stations. But I don't recall where I saw that info and can't speak to its accuracy. I'm sure some of our gulf coast residents know.

Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama don't require privately owned RV's to stop. If you were transporting for commercial reasons such as delivery you may need to. But with the way Louisiana has been operating that they no longer have money to keep weigh stations open so most of them are closed and the exits barricaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donr827

I have never stopped and have traveled through all states east of the Mississippi and some more. Its for commercial trucks unless a signed is posted for RVs.
Don

Lynn1130

Every one that I have seen has been signed "Commercial Vehicles Must Stop" That's not us.

Last edited:

970native

Here is Colorado the signs say that all commercial vehicles must stop. Right below that it says "no rv".

Jamersons

No need to stop. I will say though, your state may require you to have a special license. I know in Texas if over 26,000 you must have a Class A non-CDL or "exempt Class A". Chances of you getting a ticket are slim to none for not having it, but if you were to have an accident, a lawyer could have a field day with you if you don't have it.

NYSUPstater

No. Semis or trucks (even pick-ups) doing work as commercial and have DOT numbers on side...yes. In NY, most pick-ups are reg comm, but as long as it's for private, do not have to stop. In regards to a CDL, think I'm ok w/ my class A w/ doubles/triples, air brake and bus endorsements.

alexb2000

Maybe this is like dumping your black tank in a Walmart storm drain?

Just claim ignorance if you're caught, you won't be the first, and definitely not the last.:)

Stickdog

Il, IN, KY, TN, GA, FL, SC, NC, MI, OH, PA, WI, WA, OR, UT, ID, WY, AK, AR, LA, MS, AZ, NM, CO, NY, NJ, VT, MN, MT, AL, MO, MD, WV

Have driven through all these states and camped in all but 3 and have never stopped at a weight station other than Oregon for a free weigh because they leave the scales on when closed. Did stop at a fruit and plant inspection station in Florida and they just waved us through. Once when traveling we ran into a road block for insurance and registration check in Nebraska. Otherwise your free to travel the counrty.