no shore power using 30 amp adaptor but 50 amp works ok

RandyDeb

We were using 30 amp shore power when we lost power. Tv, coffee pot, lights and a hairdryer were being used when power went out. Changed out the GFCI thinking that was the problem, but that wasn't it. So put old GFCI back in and pulled out my 50 amp cord ( I have two cords, one set up for 30amp one for 50 amp) and plugged in to 50 amp outlet and everything works. So then I put the 30 amp adaptor on the 50 amp cord and nothing worked witch tells me my cords are not the issue. my question is this, is there an inline fuse that is located outside the fuse box that I can change? No fuses or circuit breakers appear to be tripped. Trailer is and 09 Big Horn 3670.

Thanks for the help
Randy

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
When you say that no breakers "appear" to be tripped, that doesn't mean that a breaker is not tripped.
You really need to turn the breakers off then back on.
When you added your 30 to 50 amp adapter to your 50 amp shore cord and nothing worked that tells me that the problem is with on leg of your service, which is why you need to verify breakers by turning off then on again.
You were using some pretty wattage hungry devices at the time so at this time I would lean toward a breaker.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

If everything works with the 50 amp cord plugged into the 50 amp receptacle, that says 1) the 50 amp receptacle is ok, 2) the 50 amp shore power cord is ok, 3) the trailer wiring is ok.

If nothing works with either cord setup using the 30 amp receptacle at the pedestal, it sounds like there's no power from the 30 amp receptacle.

Of course, sometimes when people say "nothing works", they haven't really tried to use everything. They might mean the several devices they were using aren't working.

But in this case, it sounds like the 30 amp receptacle quit. Ask the campground manager to have maintenance check it.

wdk450

Check the 30 amp male prongs on the cords you were using. Do any of the prongs look burnt?? The campground 30 amp receptacle burning out is probably the most frequent electrical problem in RV parks. This problem is caused by RVers plugging in/unplugging while the park 30 amp breaker is ON. Unless you have your inside trailer AC mains turned off, there are ALWAYS electrical loads present when you plug in/unplug. This plugging in/unplugging with a load present and the park breaker ON, causes an electrical arc between your plug and the park outlet. This repeated deterioration of the outlet by repeated electrical arcs sets up a degenerative syndrome that will eventually cause the outlet to fail, and in many instances also harm your power plug.

Remember: PARK BREAKER OFF BEFORE YOU PLUG IN, PARK BREAKER OFF BEFORE YOU UNPLUG. Unfortunately since not everybody does this (read VIRTUALLY NOBODY), many bad park outlets are out there waiting to cause you problems.

RandyDeb

Good tips! Looks like it was the breaker on the pole. One of the breakers is real loose and finally gave up.

Thanks for the help!