Taxes!!! and Intrest

AS7074

Gulfstream IV
Hello all,

question #1. If I purchase a Camper in Alabama and live in Georgia is the a tax situation on the horizon?

question #2. How much does the camper have to be used during the year to be able to write off the intrest on the camper?

THX!!!!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I'm not familiar with AL and GA but here, we can buy a vehicle/trailer in another state and there is no sales tax charged for the state where it was purchased. When you register the vehicle in your home state you would pay the required tax and license fees. As for writing (federal tax deduction) off the taxes when you itemize, I don't believe there is a requirement for an occupancy term. Just the fact that you own it as a 2nd "home".

AS7074

Gulfstream IV
So when you bought your camper up there did you pay tax at the dealer or received a seperate bill from the state?

Shadowchek

My understanding is Like Ray said but also some states like Ca require the dealer to collect a portion of the taxes and you pay the ballence when you register it in your state. I think Ca was 6% up front.

truknutt

Committed Member
Hello all,

question #1. If I purchase a Camper in Alabama and live in Georgia is the a tax situation on the horizon?

question #2. How much does the camper have to be used during the year to be able to write off the intrest on the camper?

THX!!!!

AS7074,

Georgia is gonna get their sales tax before you get your tags! I bought my Harley while stationed in Europe and 2 years later when I returned to register it, they still hit me for the "depreciated" value of the bike. Do not pay any sales tax in Alabama; your dealership should know this.

Dave the 'Nutt

bigredtruck

I can't speak for Georgia or Alabama but when we bought our used 5er in NY we didn't pay tax until we hit the CDN border. Federal tax at the border, then the prvincial tax when we got the plates. John at Lakeshore RV says that if we take delivery of the new Cyclone in Michigan, then we pay state tax, but if we have them deliver it to IN, then we don't. Does anyone know if that is correct?

cjbearden

Visitor
When we owned the former BH, we lived in AR - BOHICA on the taxes!! We paid not only a huge sales tax at time of original licensing but paid annual personal property taxes. You can bet I deducted the property tax and loan interest as a second home.

Augusta was purchased in CO (no dealer tax); licensed in SD - 3% tax and only pay small annual license renewal. Since we no longer have sticks/brick house, will continue to deduct loan interest as primary home.

Was insulted by the CO dealership though because the questionable finance clerk refused to let us have the licensing papers to take or send to SD treasurer ourselves. She insisted she had to send those papers to ensure getting the lien properly recorded! Duh, I am an adult, I have done this before. If you give me the necessary papers, the lien is right there in black and white!! So after three weeks of waiting and wondering where are our papers, finally get a call back from the clerk needing an address of the treasurer to send the papers!! Why didn't they tell us this at the time of finance signing? I think had I realized this in the beginning, it might have nixed the deal!!! So then, I had to go through several emails/phone calls with SD treasurer to coordinate timing of sending my check for sales tax/licensing to reach her the same time the finance papers from the dealer would arrive.

Don't know about others, but I like to keep a copy of the Certificate of Origin, which is part of the licensing package. I did insist on getting a copy on the day we signed papers so not getting to see the actual licensing package wasn't that big of a deal - just the idea that I didn't feel "trusted". Yet I had to trust the dealer's clerk that she would send the papers!! :confused:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
As to other states I really dont know, in California, we pay 7-3/4 % tax at purchase. This year we are going to register the BH in Montana. It is 1/2 the price and it's a 1 time pay and never pay again. Luckily we own property there. Our TV has been registered there for 2 years and saving a bunch of money over Calif. As far as writing off the interest as a 2nd home, dont know about your state, but here it is an every year tax deduction. Bob:D:D:eek:

snuffy

Hello all,

THX!!!!

#1. You'll pay tax at the rate you pay in the county you live in, probably 7 or 8%, plus you'll get to pay advalorem tax every year when you get your tag.

#2. It is my understanding that you can declare it a second home and take the interest paid as a deduction on your income tax. You don't have to use it a certain amount.